• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The Takeover - Very very close.

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little more on my "input" on the match thread yesterday.

Now the Cricketer's has gone and having tired (literally) of long treks to an alternative boozer a friend and I went in the Blue Boar for the first time in about 40-odd years. I am impressed that it has now become a real "home pub" but it was a bit too packed for an old boy like me now.

Anyway, I spotted Justin Rees in there and pointed this out to my friend who is genetically far more personable than me so, just as we were going, he said "hello" to him. I thought that that would be the sum total of our "chat" but JR was very enthusiastic to talk to us and seemed very open.

One of the main points that came out in a very short chat was that the consortium have now put in too much money for the deal to fail.

When I asked him if, as I only live round the corner from RM, he wanted me to stick something nasty through his letter box, he said that they were now waiting on the council rather than RM. I did not feel it was my place to ask what the problem was, though.

He spoke about SUFC being more than just 11 blokes kicking a ball and how he wanted it to become a real community asset.

And as we (my friend and I) had been reminiscing about the "Liverpool FA Cup game" we mentioned this to JR and he had never heard about it. When I mentioned the 31,000 attendance he was amazed and said that that couldn't have been legal. I told him that the South Bank was massive in those days and, of course, the ground was mostly all standing.

He then said something that I have not heard mentioned elsewhere. He said he was very keen on investigating the possibility of "safe standing" areas as he himself preferred standing at football matches. Asked my opinion I said I was now too old to stand, or indeed do much else, for 90 minutes but that it would be a very popular idea amongst many other supporters.

Finally, he said that one of the drawbacks of owning the club would be that he would have to be on his best behaviour at matches.

I liked him, and believed him and, having met a number of former chairman/owners over the years, feel that he will be a breath of fresh air.

But then what do I know?

I get that but do you trust Anna more than JR? As JR is saying the same as Ron along with other consortium members
As I said earlier, JR could be going by what he has heard(Possible from Ron?) that it's the Council holding it up. So JR is most likely telling the truth, but he may not have the full facts as to what's going on between Ron and the Council. For example, he may not know that Ron is going for a bit extra from the Council, extra that the Council are unable or unwilling to give.

So where we currently are:

Anna - blaming ron
Ron - blaming council
Council - silent
Matt dent - clueless
Consortium - blaming council
For context, see the attached re the council (just one example)
Anna - see crickos post
Consortium/JR stance see all the posts about the AGM and from people who have spoke to them in the last few days.IMG_8218.png

As I said earlier, JR could be going by what he has heard(Possible from Ron?) that it's the Council holding it up. So JR is most likely telling the truth, but he may not have the full facts as to what's going on between Ron and the Council. For example, he may not know that Ron is going for a bit extra from the Council, extra that the Council are unable or unwilling to give.
Do you honestly think JR would take Ron’s word for something? 😂😂😂

Anyone with any sense like JR would be checking with each different party involved to try and move this along. If he is not then that shows gross incompetence

I am sure JR has a very expensive legal team dealing with the sale of the club and doesn't have to rely on Ron for information for who is holding things up.

So if JR is saying its the council i have no reason to think otherwise.

Last edited:
I can say for certain we tried to sign player last week. The fact that it fell through, we let Mooney go and Kanu was recalled is not the fault of the NL.
No, but the fact the embargo is conducted in the way it is creates an environment where it’s almost a natural consequence- as we have seen all to clearly.

I sure JR has a very expensive legal team dealing with the sale of the club and doesn't have to rely on Ron for information for who is holding things up.

So if JR is saying its the council i have no reason to think otherwise.
Yes, but as alluded to before by someone more knowledgeable than me on these things, there are a few things to be sorted out by the current owner...Ron...and the Council.

Reactions: jnl
I met a couple of consortium members yesterday and one thing I took from it was they all seemed happy and very relaxed. They weren't faking that.

The situation on the pitch and the adverse result yesterday probably makes things feel more desperate than they are, at least from a consortium perspective (I am not saying things are not desperate for Kev and the players because they clearly are). The consortium obviously want this done and they are frustrated but they know we're reaching a point now where the deal is either going to happen, or it is going to collapse.

It could be something as simple as a bit of legal wrangling around certain clauses etc. We don't know and the wheels of local government turn slowly at the best of times, let alone at this time of year.

It's very clear from this thread that nobody is 100% certain who is to blame for the hold up, but if the Martins are playing silly buggers, they do not hold a strong negotiating position.

There has been dozens of posts about player welfare and lack of subs etc. Thats what I was replying to.

As Mod maybe you should read more posts rather than snipe at others.
The irony.

We're trying to fulfill the limitations and permutations of the punishment but if the league are making it so difficult to do so then that's on them, not us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back