• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The Takeover - Very very close.

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron seems to have a decent deal out of this, and while he certainly isn't an easy man to deal with nor would I trust a single word coming out of his mouth, I can't see why he would deliberately delay, nor risk the work that has gone into this deal to this point.

Most things are explained by a simple explanation. Any delays (which are perceived delays, no-one has given a definite date of completion) are likely to be procedural at this point. I have been though company sales and purchases before, the last little loose ends take the longest (and are the most frustrating).

As Mad Cyril says above this is a (very) complicated commercial deal and I would say from when it sounds like Justin initially made contact, they have made pretty speedy progress to be honest.

Though I remain highly confident that Justin Rees and his allies will eventually get the deal over the line, it really does seem to be a good outcome for all parties involved, it was interesting listening to Doug Putman, the very rich Canadian who has turned around HMV, on Radio 4 this morning.

He was close to agreeing a deal that would have saved thousands of jobs at Wilco this year. However, at the last minute, one of Wilkos IT suppliers refused to budge on fees they wanted to charge for the transition. "Super inflexible" about part of the deal that had been agreed by both the main parties, "I thought we had a deal. We thought we would, we would get that over the line...."

Now I don't think for one moment some piece of IT equipment in a small office at Roots Hall will stop the deal, though I wouldn't be surprised if there's stuff there we still owe money on!

However, it does show how the smallest thing, and we are talking Ron Martin here, could, at least, hold it up.

Let's try and keep the faith, it's all we've got, along with a fine management and backroom team & staff, and a fantastic group of players.

Last edited:
We need to be realistic about our chances of reaching the play offs this season. They are slim.

Let's not stress ourselves any further by expecting a top 7 finish. We've got to survive as a club first and foremost. Thanks to Ron letting us accrue a 10 point deduction we're only 3 points clear of the drop so a very successful season will be a safe mid table finish. Next season we can more realistically think of promotion as a realistic target. COYB!
We absolutely can make the playoffs this year. If we do, we have a serious chance of going up.

We absolutely can make the playoffs this year. If we do, we have a serious chance of going up.

Yes, it is possible of course that we can reach the playoffs. My point was that we shouldn't build up our hopes that we will - there's too much else to stress about. Our first target should be to get 50 points which will certainly see us safe from relegation - that's just 25 points from 25 matches so should be straightforward. To reach the playoffs we will need between 71 and 76 points.

So between 46 and 51 points from 25 matches - not so easy when you consider we have gained 35 from 21 so far.

Of course we're hoping that an end of the transfer embargo will strengthen our squad and improve our performance. But we already have a 20+ per season striker. We would be fortunate indeed to gain another.

So - we can make the playoffs. Yes we can.

BUT it is very difficult and thus unlikely. Have it as a hope, but not as an expectation.

Be pleased and happy if we attain mid table security at season's end - that will be a terrific achievement in the circumstances.

We have to get rid of the coiffured one first.........

We need to be realistic about our chances of reaching the play offs this season. They are slim.

Let's not stress ourselves any further by expecting a top 7 finish. We've got to survive as a club first and foremost. Thanks to Ron letting us accrue a 10 point deduction we're only 3 points clear of the drop so a very successful season will be a safe mid table finish. Next season we can more realistically think of promotion as a realistic target. COYB!

I would say this year is a free hit so go for the play offs, if we fail it's all RM fault.

Next season the expectation is going to to be very high based on what we have done so far with a small quad so we might as well make the most of this season.

As has been already mentioned at the Shareholders meeting that there was a rinkle to be sorted.As we haven't heard anything detrimental fingers crossed it gets sorted sooner rather than later we all need a lift in that regard

I want SUFC to go up this season and we ARE good for it but without this embargo lifted we wont be going anywhere.
Martin OUT.
This is dragging on and killing this season, make no mistake this deal not going through quicker will ruin our chances of recovering those 10 points and getting the hell out of non league.
I certainly do think the protests should start up again, we need Martin to cut his losses and leave immediately.
This isnt an emotive knee jerk post, been calling for his exit for 3yrs.

As always, i respect every other view from you fine posters, but i fully expect us to keep dropping points because of this tiny squad.

If this deal is going by the way of the last one Then the club will die The club will not survive under the rat and his family So if Justin is going to be at Saturday game .Maybe he can tell someone what is going on .

If this deal is going by the way of the last one Then the club will die The club will not survive under the rat and his family So if Justin is going to be at Saturday game .Maybe he can tell someone what is going on .
I think Justin is clearly liaising or at least in regular comms with the Trust as the silence has been quite prominent recently.

If this week brings nothing or no news there will be questions asked and answers needed.

Rat ron you know it makes sence to say yes know to what ever aces you think you are holding For the sake of the club the fans And your self respect what little you have left .Just get the final bits and bobs put to bed .And leave the club the the men with the money to push the club forwards fron the mess you have crearted .
Now you've got me worrying about what's going to happen when the consortium run out of money, which one of them will you turn your ire onto?

People are mentioning it's a good deal for the rat on paper but that's presuming he has been 100% truthful in regards to debt, assets and pretty much everything else surrounding the deal which I have no doubt given his awful track record he has not been.

I would bet my bottom dollar he has tried hid usual BS and there are some others debts/grey areas which he has been found our on which has given us yet another "who blinks first" situation leaving us all and the players/staff once again in limbo.

Justin and Co only have to let the chaps know and we can re start our campaign to make the Martin family see sense.

We will find out sooner or later but this is a probable scenario when it comes to the ****er.

It is super frustrating all this waiting, when we just want the good times to roll. And we want rid of the rat for good. However if it takes longer to conclude than hoped, then it takes longer. It will be worth it in the end and the future is a long time.

I take heart from the lack (so far) of concern from the Trust, consortium, council, Anna Firth (etc etc you get my meaning). If there was reason to be truly concerned, we would hear about it.

Yes, it is possible of course that we can reach the playoffs. My point was that we shouldn't build up our hopes that we will - there's too much else to stress about. Our first target should be to get 50 points which will certainly see us safe from relegation - that's just 25 points from 25 matches so should be straightforward. To reach the playoffs we will need between 71 and 76 points.

So between 46 and 51 points from 25 matches - not so easy when you consider we have gained 35 from 21 so far.

Of course we're hoping that an end of the transfer embargo will strengthen our squad and improve our performance. But we already have a 20+ per season striker. We would be fortunate indeed to gain another.

So - we can make the playoffs. Yes we can.

BUT it is very difficult and thus unlikely. Have it as a hope, but not as an expectation.

Be pleased and happy if we attain mid table security at season's end - that will be a terrific achievement in the circumstances.

We have to get rid of the coiffured one first.........
Sorry BM, but I have to question your maths here.

Taking your estimation of 71 to 76 points to make the play offs as a given and not varying from that at all.

Also, you are spot on when you say we have earnt 35 from 21 games so far.

Therefore, to hit 71 we need another 36 points and 41 points to hit 76. Not the 46 and 51 points you have stated.

So, just from a mathematical basis, if we repeat the same haul of 35 points from the next 21 games, that puts us on 70 points with 4 games left.

Not as bad as your original calculation, and why I think, given a fair run of a lack of injuries, we can target this for sure. Not saying we will do it, but it is definitely possible.

What on earth is so wrong at our club that we allmost reach the golden end to our missery .Then for some reason it al seemes to drift from one problem to another .Now i am not for one second saying the take over wont happen .But like others on hear .We have all had the glimmer of hope .So what we all need is the spark to ignite our club into a new life .That is all i ake for .

Taking your estimation of 71 to 76 points to make the play offs as a given and not varying from that at all.

Therefore, to hit 71 we need another 36 points and 41 points to hit 76. Not the 46 and 51 points you have stated.

So, just from a mathematical basis, if we repeat the same haul of 35 points from the next 21 games, that puts us on 70 points with 4 games left.

Not as bad as your original calculation, and why I think, given a fair run of a lack of injuries, we can target this for sure. Not saying we will do it, but it is definitely possible.
10 points deduction? Yes we have earned 35 points, but we have 25.

But you are forgetting we are currently on 25 points, not 35 unfortunately.

The same run of form would put us on 60 points, with 4 games left.

In short we are going to need to do even better than we have been so far and average the best part of 2 points per game over the next 25 games, to make the play-offs. That's a huge ask, but with a swift removal of the embargo and several signings, you can never write this lot off.

Amazing how Scunthorpes first chairman bailed out and said he didn't want to stay and then they got a new owner in a matter of days. They've even managed to obtain Glandford Park already.

This seems to be the longest takeover in history.

I get that it's a tangled web but it's got so many people working on it, from the consortium, to Ron and Tom to the council being supportive. That's not too mention solicitors etc.

Why is nothing at SUFC easy
MP Anna did a great job. Maybe we should ask her to get back in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back