• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Please do continue to post replies as I for one value your insights and professional knowledge
I'm sure most us us are of the same opinion @Eastwood for ever Blue but I totally understand @Sherif H's frustration that he's giving his view from the point of a professional in the specific field & the keyboard expert replies he gets just can't or won't accept what we are & what's logically possible. Very crass from some who seem to think they know better.

I'm sure most us us are of the same opinion @Eastwood for ever Blue but I totally understand @Sherif H's frustration that he's giving his view from the point of a professional in the specific field's & the keyboard expert replies he gets just can't or won't accept what we are & what's logically possible. Very crass from some who seem to think they know better.
Well said 👏 He speaks from a professional and proven track record and still some can't accept that their 'Castle in the Sky' pipedreams are just that! If you don't have the expertise or qualifications to back up your vision for the regeneration of the Hall then dont argue the point against a man who does! Simple as that.

There is limitations to what can be done. As others have said. The east will be the stand that sets the rest apart. As a main stand, its currently woeful.

I would imagine it would need a capacity of 6-8k in order to have longevity and be future proof. I would imagine the facilities will need to generate a big % of annual income.

The west and south will get a tidy up.

The north rebuilt eventually.

The total capacity aim should be at least 16k

There is limitations to what can be done. As others have said. The east will be the stand that sets the rest apart. As a main stand, its currently woeful.

I would imagine it would need a capacity of 6-8k in order to have longevity and be future proof. I would imagine the facilities will need to generate a big % of annual income.

The west and south will get a tidy up.

The north rebuilt eventually.

The total capacity aim should be at least 16k

They will do well to get to 12k. There is no room for improvement in some of the stands and there wont be the demand for 16K

They will do well to get to 12k. There is no room for improvement in some of the stands and there wont be the demand for 16K

I could see us readily getting crowds of 10k if the facilities were there and with success on the pitch.

I'd rather have the space and do promotions than not have the space.

I'd say that a total capacity of 12k is pretty poor.

We have (safety cert) a 12k capacity at the moment.

The east currently holds 2400 odd. To do a complete rebuild and keep a similar capacity would be folly, and having spoken to the consortium members on occasion, it is certainly not the impression I was given.

I could see us readily getting crowds of 10k if the facilities were there and with success on the pitch.

The east currently holds 2400 odd. To do a complete rebuild and keep a similar capacity would be folly, and having spoken to the consortium members on occasion, it is certainly not the impression I was given.
If the only thing the East does is offers an increase in matchday hospitality and keeps the GA capacity close to the potential current (e.g. without swathes of the stadium closed for whatever reason) then this will suffice.

What we can't have is increased GA capacity alone, there's no room to grow revenues.

We don't have 12k at the moment.

Going forward they will have to increase gangways and exits etc. They will need bigger stands just to keep the numbers we have.

I have also spoke to COSU members. They are not going to waste money. As I have said (some wont listen) the West and North first. So before they knock the East down they will have good idea of what capacity they will need.

The last 2 owners nearly finished us 3 times by foolishly chasing Championship gold. That wont be happening until we can pay for it. I see that as great business plan. Those who regularly make the false claim that we are a Championship club will just have to suffer it in the lower leagues.....Untill the time and the stadium is right.

Last edited:
We don't have 12k at the moment.

Going forward they will have to increase gangways and exits etc. They will need bigger stands just to keep the numbers we have.

So have also spoke to COSU members. They are not going to waste money. As I have said (some wont listen) the West and North first. So before they knock the East down they will have good idea of what capacity they will need.

The last 2 owners nearly finished us 3 times by foolishly chasing Championship gold. That wont be happening until we can pay for it. I see that as great business plan. Those who regularly make the false claim that we are a Championship club will just have to suffer it in the lower leagues.....Untill the time and the stadium is right.

Like or not. If you count every single seat in roots Hall and in corporate etc, it's over 12k. They aren't all usuable due to the safety cert. They could be usuable if work takes place.

Nobody is saying that we should chase the championship but the fact remains, over the last 10 years we could have sold more tickets had the infrastructure been in place.

It's better to have capacity to grow than not. We aren't talking about making roots Hall into the the etihad here. We are talking about the capacity to cope, if and when we ever return to league 2 or league 1. 12k in league 1 would be too little in my opinion.

The north is easiest to covert. Can be done on a modest budget and house 2000-2500 seats or safe standing with a concourse underneath.

The west will be largely the same but with better catering and bars, maybe a slight reduction in seating to make that happen.

The south is a no go part from safe standing at the bottom which would likely be a complete waste of money.

The east will be the money maker and I find it highly unlikely that the consortium will attempt a full rebuild with a capacity less than 5k.

Lets wait and see

I am sure COSU will approach the regeneration of Roots Hall with a balanced strategy. Given Justin's project management mindset the whole process will have both short and long term targets geared to the current reality of where we are in the here and now but also embracing the potential for what could be achieved by the football club both on and off the pitch.
If we have success on the pitch resulting in regaining league status for argument sake with the next 2 years then a home capacity that can achieve 10,000 has to be the consideration.
As for the future potential for attendance numbers at Roots Hall, based on the growth of the City, from my point of view to make the whole project worthwhile we need to strive for a return to Championship status and mostly likely a home capacity of 15,000.
If we don't have this type of forwarding thinking then we are just playing at and I don't think COSU are made up of the type of people to do that, but fortunately will go about things in a responsible way.
The demographics of the City can and would sustain Championship football if it is provided with the ability to do so both from a footballing perspective and an amenities one.
I am hopeful for what may be down the road for my beloved Shrimpers and that is only surpassed by my feelings of joy that COSU have enabled us to even have a future to debate 😊

I've been to quite a few grounds where that's the case. Usually 3/4 turnstiles to allow people in and then they open a gate to allow people to exit. Not sure who owns the car park at the back of the north bank where media trucks park sometimes but that could well be incorporated as well. Outdoor area/ mini fanzine for away supporters
So long as they can read the really small print.

Back