• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Understandably there is a lot of focus on the current stands, how we renovate to restore safety and capacity in short term. I am interested by the plot as a whole and what we may be able to do moving forward. As I understand it, (and I may be wrong, happy to be corrected for those who know more) Roots Hall site comprises of this. As it stands we have almost no ability to do much with South stand or West due to space constraint with residential buildings directly behind, a little with North and plenty with East. Given we have access on 3 sides, I would imagine we must be considering knocking down that old block of flats and the parade of shops in the corner, assuming we have the ability to do this, open up the entrance, rotate the pitch, levelling the sloping areas etc in the longer term. The space is there if it is done right..View attachment 33039

Drove past the cathedral earlier today and wondered about the parade of shops (marked with a pizza slice on the photo above). Who owns them? Is it Roots Hall Limited and will be moved over to POSU FC Limited when Roots Hall is transferred or are they owned by another one of the Rat Group?

Drove past the cathedral earlier today and wondered about the parade of shops (marked with a pizza slice on the photo above). Who owns them? Is it Roots Hall Limited and will be moved over to POSU FC Limited when Roots Hall is transferred or are they owned by another one of the Rat Group?
The last i heard Sainsbury's still had a say in them. (Remember the 5 mill) Might be out of date now though.

Hmm, yes not an urgent priority but it would be good to clarify the ownership status on and around the plot, if we can freely bulldoze or must maintain specific buildings and if there are any ransom strips of land owned by a 3rd party. Let’s hope not!

Understandably there is a lot of focus on the current stands, how we renovate to restore safety and capacity in short term. I am interested by the plot as a whole and what we may be able to do moving forward. As I understand it, (and I may be wrong, happy to be corrected for those who know more) Roots Hall site comprises of this. As it stands we have almost no ability to do much with South stand or West due to space constraint with residential buildings directly behind, a little with North and plenty with East. Given we have access on 3 sides, I would imagine we must be considering knocking down that old block of flats and the parade of shops in the corner, assuming we have the ability to do this, open up the entrance, rotate the pitch, levelling the sloping areas etc in the longer term. The space is there if it is done right..View attachment 33039
Could do a whole thread on this!

Last edited:
From the widest point going west to east, the current Roots Hall structure is around 122m.

From the narrowest point going north to south, the car park area is 116m. By rotating the pitch we lose 6m, meaning the stands running the length of the touchline would have to be narrower, or multiple storey. Rotating isn't a viable option I don't think

Correct site boundaries at the link below

we finance.png

Southend United are delighted to confirm We Finance Any Car will be the Club’s new South Stand partner for the 2024/25 season.

We Finance Any Car have extended their commitment to the Club, following their significant investment last season, by adorning the top and middle of our South Stand, which will now be called the wefinanceanycar.com South Stand.

The Rayleigh-based company are a unique, innovative brand who help people get their hands on their dream car with years of experience in car finance, an extensive lending panel and a team that is set up to get you the car you want at the best finance rate.

The simple process means customers can apply with a two-minute application, get approved by one of wefinanceanycar.com’s extensive panel, get the best rate and choose their dream car.

Jon Healy and Dan Horner, Directors at We Finance Any Car, commented “Everyone here at wefinanceanycar.com is fully behind the Club. We have enjoyed brand being pride of place on the third kit and our staff are now faithful Shrimpers.

"Being title sponsor of the South Stand just solidifies our commitment to club, not just as proud sponsors, but as supporters of the team and of our push to get back into the EFL.”

Rylee Doe, Commercial Executive at Southend United, added: “Since being introduced to Jon and Dan, their passion and enthusiasm for supporting our Club has been above and beyond anything we could’ve hoped for.

“I know our supporters will join us in gratitude to the team and look forward to continuing to work with them moving forwards.”

To see how wefinanceanycar.com can help you, click here.

Rotating is unnecessary and for the cost and the upheaval probably prohibitive.

Massive new east grandstand, joining the corners and revamping north and west would be more than enough for a big capacity increase I reckon.

Unless you include LMA manager and similar (which I do) I don't have any experience in these sorts of matters, but building behind the current east stand and then moving the pitch over so it is centered, along with joining the north and south east corners to the new grandstand would look incredible!

I think @Sherif H talked about re doing the west in a way that doesn't do anything structurally but improves sight lines etc, there is a little room behind the west for new and improved catering facilities.

The south is the south though i think, I dont have any images in my head on how that strange (but beautiful in its own way) stand could be improved

To do that they would need to rebuild the entire stadium and do everything at once so we would then need to do a ground share too.

Back