• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
I can’t understand why we wouldn’t look at all our options under the new leadership. The old girl has served us well but we can all agree it needs a refurb and that could be best achieved by rotating the pitch. Not saying it is the best way but it can’t be ignored as a potential option. The new Spurs stadium and to a lesser degree Wembley both built on original site and adjusted the pitch position. They’ve turned out ok…
Moving the pitch like you mention here works for Wembley and Spurs because in both cases they had massive amounts of cash to do it. We are not in that position.

I can’t understand why we wouldn’t look at all our options under the new leadership. The old girl has served us well but we can all agree it needs a refurb and that could be best achieved by rotating the pitch. Not saying it is the best way but it can’t be ignored as a potential option. The new Spurs stadium and to a lesser degree Wembley both built on original site and adjusted the pitch position. They’ve turned out ok…
Considering the new leadership, mostly TL from my memory, have already talked about the scope of work that planned and rotating the pitch isn't it. It makes us talking about rotating the pitch a moot point really.

If you think about what Spurs had vs what they need and us Roots Hall vs what we need. I think there's a gulf of difference. Spurs are trying to edge their way into to the top four and guarantee themselves Champions League football and they spent £1.2b try to and make they sustainable. Rotating the pitch was probably their only option. That's why I don't think that's a good comparison.

Last edited:
I know some of it is in jest, but let's please stop with the rotating of the pitch chat...

In theory the space is there, but it turns a £10-15m 'relatively' soft touch phased redevelopment in to a £60m project which would ensure we had to move away for at least one season.
Thanks @Sherif H for giving your usual sensible perspective. The club has to develop as you say on a limited budget using what we have as a starting base.

What a lot of people seem to ignore is that coming from the car park the actual pitch is what 20-30ft lower at the South Stand end? I'd guess turning a ground at 90% like Bournemouth did in Kings Park, where it's flat & there is also a lot of space on 2 sides, if not 3 when they did it, would be relatively easy? However we simply aren't in the same position being hemmed in on 3 sides & then having to dig thousands of tonnes out of the car park. It's always been a non starter.

Last edited:
Had a quick chat with those in power when down at RH this morning. They are looking at the North West corner and hope to have that part of the ground open later in the year. The Fanzone has been relocated to the concrete carpark bit near the club shop which they own and they already have that in progress with people, should be open by October. It will be more of a warehouse idea than tent thingy.

I expect by November @Mad Cyril will running Rave nights in it.

Had a quick chat with those in power when down at RH this morning. They are looking at the North West corner and hope to have that part of the ground open later in the year. The Fanzone has been relocated to the concrete carpark bit near the club shop which they own and they already have that in progress with people, should be open by October. It will be more of a warehouse idea than tent thingy.

Superb, I have been impressed with the speed of the changes. A lot of work has gone on behind the scenes whilst the takeover negotiations were taking place.

John, on a different track do you know if the dressing room is getting a make over at all? Feel our lads deserve a bit better in the condition of the amenities in there.

Not specifically but there is a lot happening down there.
Cheers John, I know COSU are trying to put so much that's wrong, right, just feel that arguably a trick is being missed in that within our supporters we have a number of trades and skills that would happily volunteer their time to do something like refurbish the changing area just to help get these things done. I know you have already asked the question about fan involvement.

Something like Notts County would be good.

Any news on the new training ground i.e. timetable for getting portacabins installed and moving over there?

Fix the north/west corner issues to get capacity back up, then id just demolish the east and build a massive all singing all dancing stand with whatever facilities you want attached to the back of it, so much room to do as you please there. While this is being done we have the north bank back with away supporters being housed in the north west corner. Bosh...job done.

Question for the public.
If massive new shiny east stand was built would you relocate from current stand into new shiny east with excellent facilities.

Always thought it was weird that you have that bit where you have to go down to get to the main entrance . They should build out to there at the very least.

From memory I think this was the slated plan, plus maybe nicking an extra few metres of the car park

Question for the public.
If massive new shiny east stand was built would you relocate from current stand into new shiny east with excellent facilities.

The West and the North will be done first. Capacity and facilities have to be greatly improved in those two before knocking down the East. That will having a baring on anyones decision to switch once the East is completed.

Back