• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
@North Wales Shrimper @Cricko
According to Peter Mason's excellent book:
"The pitch ran from north to south, as it does today, and although it had a pronounced slope from one end to the other, it was judged a satisfactory surface by the standards of the day."

"...when the First World War put a stop to the Southern League two years later a dispute developed over outstanding rent. Southend tried to generate money by sub-letting Roots Hall to the military, but by June 1916 when the lease ran put, there was no option than for the owner George Radford to hold an auction of Roots Hall assets to raise money...A week later work begun on digging the pitch into allotments.

[Soon after the end of the First World War]...it's [Roots Hall] new owners, Southend Gas Company, discovered large deposits of sand on the site. The firm had originally intended to erect a Gas Holder on the land, but the inter war housing boom in Southend had created a huge demand for sand, so the opportunity at Roots Hall was too good to miss.

When the sandpit was exhausted most of the area was taken over by the Gas Light & Coke Company, which used the huge hole created by quarrying as a dump for old cookers, piping and other gas related paraphernalia. Locals also took to throwing rubbish in the pit..."

Hope this helps tidy up a few inaccuracies concerning our route to 'The Hall' as we know it.
I said "The ground was actually used as an allotment during world war 1"

I cannot see any inaccuracy in my post??

Last edited:
It is a sad but also realistic reflection of some of football society that there could not safely be a shared food/bar outlet for N and East. or N and West stands. A new plush facility catering for home and away.
Just a pop up structure like in the car park at Wycombe would be a start.
There would be some merit in looking at a temporary structure, so the same outlet with serving windows on both sides, straddling the divide between home and away fans. That way you have the one outlet serving both and no additional cost on the freezing cold days where the away club brings 20 diehard fans who need (apart from their heads testing) a hot coffee, some food and a pint or two!

Roots Hall is our home and no matter how run down and crumbling it is I love it and never wanted a new stadium.

Redevelopment over time for me is the ideal scenario and I am looking forward to seeing what can be done as the possibilities are enormous.

So lovely to be posting about the future knowing we now have one 🤗

UTB 💙

It is a sad but also realistic reflection of some of football society that there could not safely be a shared food/bar outlet for N and East. or N and West stands. A new plush facility catering for home and away.
Just a pop up structure like in the car park at Wycombe would be a start.

The away end at Kidderminster shares its food outlet with the home stand next to it, they just have two counters, one for each set of fans. I'm not sure whether there is enough space around the back of the north / west stands to achieve something like this though.

I said "The ground was actually used as an allotment during world war 1"

I cannot see any inaccuracy in my post??
No sorry @Cricko , I didn't mean to included you in that comment. You were spot on! Just 'copied you in' 'cos I thought you might be interested in the other information (that is if you weren't already aware).

Again sorry for seemingly questioning your knowledge.

If there is going to be major redevelopment shortly I wouldn't like to spend money on making do on parts of the ground unless it is to increase capacity. I am quite happy to sit on crappy seats, use the toilets and even eat the food for a little while knowing that soon there will be a ground that everybody loves and looks forward to watching football again. I liked the idea of a brand new stadium being built at FF but that idea has been consigned to the bin so let's not try to waste too much money on painting over the cracks for the next few years!

I guess the improvements we are seeing (scoreboard , exterior signage ), are being paid for by the way of additional sponsorship , so are not impacting anything Cosu are expected to put into the club.
I imagine that other improvements will be done in some sort of Income vs expenditure order , Probably starting with the food outlets to maximise the matchday income whilst the crowds are up due to the current tide of Euphoria . If they can get a fanzone up and running by the first home game thats another one which will start paying for itself quickly.
Once the kit launch is done , thats another income stream to tap into the current mood too.

Understandably there is a lot of focus on the current stands, how we renovate to restore safety and capacity in short term. I am interested by the plot as a whole and what we may be able to do moving forward. As I understand it, (and I may be wrong, happy to be corrected for those who know more) Roots Hall site comprises of this. As it stands we have almost no ability to do much with South stand or West due to space constraint with residential buildings directly behind, a little with North and plenty with East. Given we have access on 3 sides, I would imagine we must be considering knocking down that old block of flats and the parade of shops in the corner, assuming we have the ability to do this, open up the entrance, rotate the pitch, levelling the sloping areas etc in the longer term. The space is there if it is done right..IMG_3457.jpeg

Back