• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hello old chum, any more on your 'insider info' on Cox and Vincelot leaving the O's? You've gone a tad quiet on that front.

Anyhoo, I've had a quick word from an entirely unreliable source that you're considering a move for Liam Chilvers. Can't see it myself, but thought I'd pass it on.

ps. A big 'heh' at the Jamie O'Hara talk above.

Not quiet at all, why would I be interested in bringing it up again on shrimperzone unless there was a reason like last time you posted seeing as this is a Southend United forum. They will be gone soon these things take time with the new owner trying his best not to lose your best players until he realises that you've reached your peak as a club in league 1 and you can't stop them.

All I can say is thank god your club wasn't anywhere near big enough to tempt Leonard away.

What's all the excitement about here ? We've got a good squad, brought in a couple already, and will probably add a couple more before the season starts. Why all the doom and gloom?

Oh booooooooooo! ......I'ts not all doom and gloom. It's about guessing who trialists and signings may be; it's wondering whether we are under an embargo; it's about whether diggers, doing something constructive, will ever appear at FF. In brief it's the silly season and summer wouldn't be the same without it!............enjoy! :smile:

What's all the excitement about here ? We've got a good squad, brought in a couple already, and will probably add a couple more before the season starts. Why all the doom and gloom?

Indeed. This year, unlike many, we don't actually need to make many signings. Maybe a couple more and someone on loan to cover Timlin's injury. In other years we'd still need six or seven at this point hence the panic. There's no need at this point.

Personally think Leon Cort would be a cracking signing for the club. So much experience of championship football. Must have played over 200 odd games at that level. Didn't really have enough class in the prem but got the odd game. If he is still fit and strong he will **** all over the forwards at this level.

Personally think Leon Cort would be a cracking signing for the club. So much experience of championship football. Must have played over 200 odd games at that level. Didn't really have enough class in the prem but got the odd game. If he is still fit and strong he will **** all over the forwards at this level.
one of my top three all time Southend players Leon cort, was quality when here, would love him to come back:thumbsup:

I've always rated him but he'll be 35 in september. There must be concerns, hence why we are trialing him rather than signing him. May have a good season left in him? Hope so.

Interesting exchange of views on twitter between those who fear the curse of the returning player and those that believe he is past it at nearly 35. To counter that there are those who cite that he was playing in the Championship last season (31 appearances for Charlton), and must be good enough for a year or two in League Two. I'm happy to leave the decision to PB on the basis of how he performs tomorrow. I hope he's a success......Braintree should provide good opposition.

in the same way that Freddy Eastwood, Neil Harris and Lee Barnard would score goals for fun at this level? Great player though Cort is, we need players on the way up not on he way down.

I think people forget, you don't need to be able to finish or have good pace as a centre back. With Freddy and Neil we wanted them to play like they did in the prime. It's very different with centre backs... as long as you have the experience, positioning and know-how you can easily get by without having the pace. We need a commanding experienced centre back and I think Leon Cort would be a great signing again with his vast Championship experience, just look at the service that Mark Phillips and Chris Barker gave us for one or two years. It makes sense to offer him a trial and go from there. :happy:

Spencer Prior and Andy Edwards showed that re-signing ageing centre-halfs can work.

Leon Cort is no Spencer Prior or Andy Edwards though.

We desperately need centrebacks, and beggars can't be choosers. Did Leon's spells at Hull and Preston overlap with El Tango's? As for being 35, if he played pretty regularly at Championship level last season then I'm happy to have him regardless of his age.

Some of the points I was going to make have already been made above. We're talking about a player who made 31 appearances in the Championship last season so he must still have enough about him to be a success two levels lower. Cort has huge experience which is invaluable to any side looking to win promotion. We're crying out for a big, commanding centre-half - that's exactly what Cort is all about. And let's not forget what a threat he was at attacking set-pieces when he was here before, I seem to remember him even scoring a hat-trick of headers for us against Boston - I'm not sure we'll ever see a CB get a hat-trick in a Blues shirt again! We didn't score enough goals last season and we need other areas of the team to chip in, Cort is capable of that.

Let's see what PB makes of him tomorrow.

I must say that my initial reaction to the idea of Leon returning was to query his age. But having read the posts above I am now quite happy to see him being given a chance. Even if he is mainly on the subs bench he could make a very useful contribution to the squad for instance.

And what a pleasure to read people putting forward their view and others countering with different opinions - all in a polite and considered way. Just like the old days. :clap:

Still haven't forgiven him for his over zealous celebrations in front of us at Selhurst. ****.

Back