• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did he actually play over 30 times last season? Have a feeling that was the season before, looking at some of Charlton's line ups last season and he was nowhere to be seen.

Did he actually play over 30 times last season? Have a feeling that was the season before, looking at some of Charlton's line ups last season and he was nowhere to be seen.

No, you're right. Five appearances for Charlton last season, only three in the league.

His only football since August 2013 was as an 89th minute sub against Yeovil in April.

EDIT - in fact other than his 30 games the year before last he hasn't played even 20 games a season since 2007/08. Although he has gone for nearly £3m in transfer fees in that time.

Spencer Prior and Andy Edwards showed that re-signing ageing centre-halfs can work.

Leon Cort is no Spencer Prior or Andy Edwards though.

He was somewhere between the two IMO.

He's not what Brown is after though. Brown is trying to get us to build from the back. He wants an Egan or a Kiernan who can initiate moves. Cort and Prosser as a pairing won't provide that.

I suppose thats why he's dropping to League 2 then, he wants to play at this stage of his career. I imagine if he had played 30 games last season most League 1 clubs would want to take a look at him.

I would rather us sign someone younger to be honest but I guess our team as a whole is pretty young so a bit of added experience can't hurt. I would feel more comfortable if we signed a youngster on loan for the season as well as Court if we do go down that avenue, especially as I don't really think Thompson is ready to start at centre back.

My question would be how confident can we be with three cb options of prosser....cort....Thompson with white too if needed. Getting hoyte would be doubly important in order to free up white for cb...

No, you're right. Five appearances for Charlton last season, only three in the league.

His only football since August 2013 was as an 89th minute sub against Yeovil in April.

EDIT - in fact other than his 30 games the year before last he hasn't played even 20 games a season since 2007/08. Although he has gone for nearly £3m in transfer fees in that time.

More good news thanks- plenty of miles left in the tank

IT will be quite simple I suspect

Ability and capability not in question.
So its identifying that he has sufficient fitness and speed- these days this is something that will be determined pretty quickly- if the answer is yes then then for a year or so he is in reality an upgrade on what we lost.

Well that's a plus, seriously good last time round for us...was a while ago though. Beggars can't be choosers though !

Wise head, slow legs, is he Chris Barker Mk2?

My mistake re the 31 appearances, was too lazy to check what was written above. :smile: Is still definitely worth a good look though given our lack of centre-halves, hope he impresses as I do feel he'd be a real asset in L2.

Brown wanta players who can play 46 games a season. That sounds to be even more vital for a centre half, so as already said, all about his legs.

Ill chuck in Spencer Prior and Andy Edwards just for the sake of it, but 34 years old and 40+ games a season after playing very little last year doesnt fill me with massive confidence.

We arent meant to be "getting us through", should be aspiring to improve on last years team. Hard I know to replace the loanee defenders but even so we need a solid defence.

We arent meant to be "getting us through", should be aspiring to improve on last years team. Hard I know to replace the loanee defenders but even so we need a solid defence.
Agree with you, a simple analysis of last season showed how important it was to have a solid defence but we are talking about Southend United. From the basis of our permanent side I want to see an improvement on Prosser, Thompson and possibly White.

Back