• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
What? That two celebrities have bought the title? They've spent around £600,000 on agents' fees. That's on top of the actual transfer fees and players' wages.

To me it would be more of a story if they had failed.
I’d watch Welcome to Wrexham if I were you. I don’t begrudge the Wrexham fans a single moment of the absolute joy they are living through. God knows they deserve it after all they have been through as a town and a club.

I’d watch Welcome to Wrexham if I were you. I don’t begrudge the Wrexham fans a single moment of the absolute joy they are living through. God knows they deserve it after all they have been through as a town and a club.
Absolutely this - Welcome to Wrexham is a fantastic documentary.

Rob and Ryan have completely changed the fortunes of not only the football club but the community. They turned volunteers into employees, are already expanding the ground, engaged with the local pubs and feel all the emotions that the fans feel along the way. Yeah they've spent more to get them out of the league, but if someone came in and did the same at Southend, I'm sure people wouldn't have too much of an issue...

We won't know untill an offical announcement. I.e once a sale is agreed. There be an NDA in place. Just hope it's sorted out prior to pre season

I have no intention of watching it.

As I said, I don't have a problem with Wrexham. I actually quite like them, especially after the way their fans donated to our cause. My issue is with the way the media are fawning over them and making out that they have created some kind of miracle. It's not a miracle, it's a **** load of money.

I doubt 99% of the people that watch BBC news could name more than 2 other teams in the NL.

But that wasn't actually my point, my point was around the continuous fawning over a couple of slebs. Is is really that necessary?
Thats what makes it news for them though. your taking something 99% of people dont give a toss about and for a brief moment engaging the masses and getting clicks and selling rags. thats what they all do, 5. minutes of fame. They dont publish that article for the lowly few thousand that follow a national league team.

they probably wont mention wrexham again until something goes badly wrong then they'll be clickbait again.

Ownership seems to be either overseas celebrity or overseas psychopaths these days. The days of local shop owner running a football club are long gone so overall I prefer a celebrity and puttting up with fawning media coverage.

You wait till the Ferdinand's buy us out and we get our own version Welcome to Sarrrrrrfend.
Episode 1 Rio clears out Ron's office and finds a selection of blonde wigs, a box of onions ,and a cleaner locked in a cupboard.

A bit of background from a County fan with a bit more sporting/background knowledge on the contacts of Nash who were mentioned in the thread:

firstly Nash was dismissed as coach an NBA coach of Brooklyn, could be why he sold the house?

Sarver sold an NBA side for approx. $4bn earlier this season, so is cash rich, but was forced out allegedly, for misconduct and has a reputation as a bad/cheap owner.

Tsai is one of the richest men in the world, but.....it was his team Nash was fired from.

A bit of background from a County fan with a bit more sporting/background knowledge on the contacts of Nash who were mentioned in the thread:

firstly Nash was dismissed as coach an NBA coach of Brooklyn, could be why he sold the house?

Sarver sold an NBA side for approx. $4bn earlier this season, so is cash rich, but was forced out allegedly, for misconduct and has a reputation as a bad/cheap owner.

Tsai is one of the richest men in the world, but.....it was his team Nash was fired from.
Well was fun while lasted

Nash was fired in November last year, mainly due to player power. Players in the NBA have all the stroke, and if you're not Gregg Popovich, if Lebron, KD, Giannis etc want you out, you're gone. That doesn't mean that Nash is no longer friendly with Tsai - he's smart enough to know that the owner had very little choice in the matter. As for Sarver being cheap, I don't think so. The Suns were a contender with big-name players before he sold. The allegations against him are based on racism, which means very little in the black player-controlled NBA. I wouldn't be so sure as to think this is dead in the water.

Does anyone have any information regarding the Academy, I’m guessing it will be folding due to the Fa no longer funding it? With Ron currently not being able to fund wages etc… would think this would be something he will take off the bill?
Shame if he does 😢

As I was aware…

1st season after relegation it’s fully funded.

2nd year part funded

3rd year self funded or fold 🤔

I have no intention of watching it.

As I said, I don't have a problem with Wrexham. I actually quite like them, especially after the way their fans donated to our cause. My issue is with the way the media are fawning over them and making out that they have created some kind of miracle. It's not a miracle, it's a **** load of money.
Has anyone actually been portraying them as an underdog? Most of the narrative I've seen is more that the Hollywood owners saved the club from a very bleak future, which is probably true.

Absolutely this - Welcome to Wrexham is a fantastic documentary.

Rob and Ryan have completely changed the fortunes of not only the football club but the community. They turned volunteers into employees, are already expanding the ground, engaged with the local pubs and feel all the emotions that the fans feel along the way. Yeah they've spent more to get them out of the league, but if someone came in and did the same at Southend, I'm sure people wouldn't have too much of an issue...

Remember they're actors. I've watched some of the episodes - they come across as genuine - but who knows?

It was even on the BBC national news.

I said this months ago on another thread. I don't have a problem with Wrexham but I do have a problem with the media coverage.
Why? If it was us we would be loving it. We would be dining out on it for years. Let them have their moment in the limelight. I'm happy to be happy for them. I just wish Notts County were going up automatically too. That's just harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back