• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
They’d be absolutely in it for the land development, with the club as a necessary inconvenience. (Unless, as Cricko says, one of his kids / extended family was a fan or has a desire to run a football club (and I’m not aware of any connection previously).
I am not aware any of his children are interested in SUFC, as @Paulie Walnuts has said Nicky is or was a Chelsea fan..However he does like a challenge and has been speaking to RM of late. Whether that is in a capacity of being a partner or not i have no idea but Nicky is far from a fool , he will see the big picture in it all and in the long run will have RM for toast.

He may see the property side as a future windfall, but he has his fingers in much bigger pies than being involved with SUFC that would concern him.

Either way IMO it would be out of the frying pan into the fire.

Last edited:
In the front garden debate at Mr Martin's house Mr Martin stated ' he'would give a further update on Monday'! Unfortunately for all of us he did not stipulate which Monday.
There are lot of Monday's left in this year alone. That is why we should all appreciate what Mr Martin says generally does not come to fruition.

The East would be last to be developed because it is the one with the most drain on design resource. You are dealing with a major change in levels from car park to seating bowl, so there is a lot of 'buggeration' in trying to find the most efficient way to house all of the desired upgraded functionality with the need for more seats, all the while trying to not to make it significantly larger than the current iteration to soften the planning application.

To supplement in the interim, you can bring in modular facilities such as the aforementioned surge bar.

Agreed. In this theoretical scenario where we are involved in some capacity, I'd look at bringing the South, North and West up to scratch first.

In my mind, this would involve the following:

Converting the South Lower to safe-standing making this area bearable from a sightline perspective / re-purposing a minimum of 2 x kiosks in the South Upper.

Re-profiling the West Stand and creating consistent and safe terracing areas to then install new seats / upgrade toilet facilities / refurbish 2 x bars / potentially add a canopy to the rear of the West concourse creating covered areas for drinkers/smokers etc...

Re-jig access/egress arrangements to enable the NW corner to be brought back in to home fan use.

Re-profile the North Stand and convert to safe-standing to ensure no issues with the SGSA (who are clamping down hard on persistent standing, particularly in away areas).

Then, and only then, look at the East Stand redevelopment.

You'll appreciate there is far more to each phase (e.g. making safe roofing / treatment and re-painting of structural steel / upgraded lighting / upgraded drainage / new wheelchair accessible areas etc...), but this offers a flavour of the inner workings of my mind!

Re. timeframe and impact on capacity, the nature of this work means it can be programmed to get the bulk of it done within the closed season, with any other works taking place mid-season phased to occur in small blocks of say, 500 seats at a time.

Thanks for your excellent post above Sherif.

With regards to the West Stand, would it be possible to re-engineer the roof in such a way that could see the removal of some (all, please!) of the pillars?

CP has tweeted that two rumours he’d seen today have already been shot down so that might be one of them I suppose. 🤷🏻
Tbh i just cannot see Nicky wanting to be involved in RM's shenanigans, why would he, he hardly needs the aggravation it would entail. I know Nicky , we grew up together, this IMO would not be his remit at all, but i have been surprised before.

This one would be a shock though.

Where did I say "bulldozing"?

I said re-developing/re-modernising.

Take a moment to read through the thread, in particular the quotes from @Sherif H who trust me, knows what he is talking about.

You will then realise it is not a "fantasy world" I am living in. The above would be significantly cheaper than the £40m it would cost to build FF.

I'm off back to cloud cukoo land.
My mistake, i didn't think any sane person would want to stay at Roots Hall without Balldozing the current money pit, crumbling/falling/Rotting down stadium and starting again, with a Stadium fit for the 21 century and one its Fans can be proud off.

Seems to me Fossetts Farm ticks all the boxes for modern and fit for purpose.

My mistake, i didn't think any sane person would want to stay at Roots Hall without Balldozing the current money pit, crumbling/falling/Rotting down stadium and starting again, with a Stadium fit for the 21 century and one its Fans can be proud off.

Seems to me Fossetts Farm ticks all the boxes for modern and fit for purpose.
If FF ever happens.

Onto the Roots Hall debate. While Ron has let it go to rack and ruin, it might not be in quite such a mess if Jobson hadn't made the 1990s redevelopment as cheaply as he possibly could've done!

The West Stand should've been reprofiled and given a completely new roof. Ditto North Bank. Even the terracing in the South lower is still that of the original terracing. All the flat roofs on the add-ons, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back