• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing to buy.

You could buy the club for 1p which is about all it is worth. If you go verbatim on what has been annouced a business that has not made a penny for 25 years is for sale. It has a shocking reputation and zero assets. Therefore it is worth zero.

Most purchases are made with an element of bank debt, but there are no company assets to use as security and to charge and raise that debt. An overdraft facility would be rejected becasue there is no security to charge.

The club is worth nothing without it's assest and no sensible bank will provide the finance unless the potential purchaser has other security they can use. Or alternatively is an incredibly wealthy person who has tons, and tons of cash they are willing to throw away.

The sale has to be for everything. The margin will be there for the right purchaser and then gift the stadium back to the club/fans once it is built. The housing profit should be so much that this should be a given!

Any purchase with a lease in place is a recipe for disaster. Look at Charllton, Oldham & Notts County as examples. If you do not own your own stadium you're on a hiding to nothing.

There is nothing to buy.

You could buy the club for 1p which is about all it is worth. If you go verbatim on what has been annouced a business that has not made a penny for 25 years is for sale. It has a shocking reputation and zero assets. Therefore it is worth zero.

Most purchases are made with an element of bank debt, but there are no company assets to use as security and to charge and raise that debt. An overdraft facility would be rejected becasue there is no security to charge.

The club is worth nothing without it's assest and no sensible bank will provide the finance unless the potential purchaser has other security they can use. Or alternatively is an incredibly wealthy person who has tons, and tons of cash they are willing to throw away.

The sale has to be for everything. The margin will be there for the right purchaser and then gift the stadium back to the club/fans once it is built. The housing profit should be so much that this should be a given!

Any purchase with a lease in place is a recipe for disaster. Look at Charllton, Oldham & Notts County as examples. If you do not own your own stadium you're on a hiding to nothing.
Exactly this. There's success to be had both on and off the pitch if the right kind of deal is struck - and that deal has to include both the club and stadium as a minimum. A loss-making club being charged rent for a stadium will not survive unless the buyer has more money than sense and loves Southend United FC.

There is nothing to buy.

Yep.

Whoever ends up purchasing the club needs to be wealthy enough to purchase FF (stadium) outright also.

In my opinion if any purchaser can only (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense - it's still a huge amount of money) afford to take on the club and not FF as well, then I would have concerns that their pockets are just not deep enough to run the club properly, for a length of time. Plus any sane interested party as mentioned above, is going to want an asset. The only assets will be the new stadium and/or the property. I can't see Ron giving up any of the property, so it will have to be the new stadium.

We need rid of Ron completely. Having him (Or any of the Martin family) as landlord at FF would be a nightmare. Problem is that someone is probably going to need north of £25-30m to make it happen. I have no doubt these people are out there and interested. But is Ron going to be reasonable?

We've seen with Yeovil what a long and dragged out club sale can result in. This needs to be done well in advance of players (if we have any left) returning for pre-season. Or I fear the recent financial problems and Ron collateral, will just be the tip of the iceberg...

How much do you think Brentford and Brighton are worth as businesses these days?

Ron needs to go. He has nothing else to liquidate. No other way of raising capital. He will do all he can to maximise value, and sure why wouldn't he, but he has to sell so a deal will get done.

At this moment in time the key word, straight from the horses mouth is “Opportunity”

FYI

Attachments

• 8C38E10E-FBDF-457B-B621-2C6A8228CD5A.jpeg
    8C38E10E-FBDF-457B-B621-2C6A8228CD5A.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 6CE31CAC-5B6C-4E39-9D36-EFB30C398D4D.jpeg
    6CE31CAC-5B6C-4E39-9D36-EFB30C398D4D.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 116
Yep.

Whoever ends up purchasing the club needs to be wealthy enough to purchase FF (stadium) outright also.

In my opinion if any purchaser can only (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense - it's still a huge amount of money) afford to take on the club and not FF as well, then I would have concerns that their pockets are just not deep enough to run the club properly, for a length of time. Plus any sane interested party as mentioned above, is going to want an asset. The only assets will be the new stadium and/or the property. I can't see Ron giving up any of the property, so it will have to be the new stadium.

We need rid of Ron completely. Having him (Or any of the Martin family) as landlord at FF would be a nightmare. Problem is that someone is probably going to need north of £25-30m to make it happen. I have no doubt these people are out there and interested. But is Ron going to be reasonable?

We've seen with Yeovil what a long and dragged out club sale can result in. This needs to be done well in advance of players (if we have any left) returning for pre-season. Or I fear the recent financial problems and Ron collateral, will just be the tip of the iceberg...

a small point - there is NO STADIUM at FF and very probably never will be ..

I am glad you liked the pretty pictures

I am glad the council granted planning permission ...

BUT FFS wakey wakey its not REAL ...

At this moment in time the key word, straight from the horses mouth is “Opportunity”

FYI
This is exactly it, and is why the club does have a value even if on paper its just a pile of debt. You're buying the opportunity and potential to turn it into something worth an awful lot of money. If some wealthy investor fancied owning a football club that could one day get him a massive return, there's no point buying a prem club (although the Glaziers may disagree given the profit they're about to make) as the cost to start with is astronomical with less opportinuty to increase the value. So you buy a struggling lower league club with huge potential, that if the project is succesful makes you a massive overall profit. You can't just start a football club from nothing with no fan base and hope to turn it into a succesful Championship or Prem club, so you have to take one that already exists, particularly one with a decent fan base now, with the potential to grow it substantially. There seems to be an appetite for football club ownership and a lot of people with the money to do it, so it would surprise me if there wasn;t much interest. What @BoyWonder2 says sounds very plausible to me.

The club does have assets if we are talking in the financial sense. A players contract is recognised as intangible assets in the accounts so whichever players are here next year will be fixed assets of the club.

The person buying also has to buy the name, the badge, the fans etc...yes the club doesn't have many tangible fixed assets but there are other things that make the club worth something.

Reading the last few days of posts on here has gave me some hope, we may find a buyer to save us, buying the whole project FF development and the club,. makes sense to anyone with deep pockets and hopefully WILL invest big into our club, we love and take us back into the league.

Let's not kid ourselves we nearly got 7,500 crowd last Saturday , just imagine , New owners and some investment into the stadium and Team , we see 10,000 plus with a sniff of success even as a non league club.

Reading the last few days of posts on here has gave me some hope, we may find a buyer to save us, buying the whole project FF development and the club,. makes sense to anyone with deep pockets and hopefully WILL invest big into our club, we love and take us back into the league.

Let's not kid ourselves we nearly got 7,500 crowd last Saturday , just imagine , New owners and some investment into the stadium and Team , we see 10,000 plus with a sniff of success even as a non league club.
Bang on Rich 💙.

Bang on Rich 💙.
If we can get anywhere near the investment Wrexham have manage to get .We could be in for a good ride .But dont forget it took the Hollywood men 2 full seasons to get where they are now Rome wasnt built in a day Even with new owners the fans may have to wait a while to get the results the club need .to get back into the football leauge .

If we can get anywhere near the investment Wrexham have manage to get .We could be in for a good ride .But dont forget it took the Hollywood men 2 full seasons to get where they are now Rome wasnt built in a day Even with new owners the fans may have to wait a while to get the results the club need .to get back into the football leauge .
Let's be honest, after the hell Ron Martins put us all through 2 seasons without beating under an embargo would be a result.

This is exactly it, and is why the club does have a value even if on paper its just a pile of debt. You're buying the opportunity and potential to turn it into something worth an awful lot of money. If some wealthy investor fancied owning a football club that could one day get him a massive return, there's no point buying a prem club (although the Glaziers may disagree given the profit they're about to make) as the cost to start with is astronomical with less opportinuty to increase the value. So you buy a struggling lower league club with huge potential, that if the project is succesful makes you a massive overall profit. You can't just start a football club from nothing with no fan base and hope to turn it into a succesful Championship or Prem club, so you have to take one that already exists, particularly one with a decent fan base now, with the potential to grow it substantially. There seems to be an appetite for football club ownership and a lot of people with the money to do it, so it would surprise me if there wasn;t much interest. What @BoyWonder2 says sounds very plausible to me.
This

A
Yep.

how much did Gillingham ,Scunthorpe and Oldham fetch ,any one know ?

It's not just the owners - they've been a catalyst - but I think I read today that the local council has given a grant of £25m towards the ground redevelopment - if only our council was so supportive

Yep.

Given that FF doesn't exist, the new buyer might be better off buying Roots Hall. At least that exists.

Wrexham have spent a stupid amount of money to make it to the league, with Mullin being on 8k a week for a start.

Next season should see an end to the need to outspend to achieve promotion, normally at this level you need one or two good players with the rest of the squad being capable.

Our new owner just needs to see a return on investment, at the moment a pound in the bank would be worth a pound and half a penny in a year.

A pound invested in our club if we achieve promotion to L2 or even L1 would be worth at least one pound fifty.

If I had the money that looks like a pretty good return on investment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back