• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe so but that leaves huge "opportunities" (I hate that word now) for the North bank and East stand.
Yes it does and i agree. Although the new flats at the east may complain i guess

As long as we can still use all 4 stands we should be ok in the short term, as it can be repaired and improved without increasing capacity

I'd compromise on a deal whereby RH is owned by the new party, and the new training ground freehold is retained by Ron and leased out to said new owner.

At this point I'd accept new owners getting the club and Roots Hall and just training in any unoccupied park

It is doable. Just by not having the debts that have been run up under Ron, immediately saves us huge amounts of money and eases cashflow.

Bring in people that know how to run a business, stop the haemorrhaging of cash, re-develop and modernise RH to include better corporate/entertainment facilities in the East and public concessions inside/outside than we have now (Sports Bar open all week etc) and with our attendances, we have a club that can definitely reduce that £100k a month shortfall.

Will it be as modern and profitable as a new build at FF? Probably not, but it's a hell of a lot better than we have now. Will it cost millions? Yes, but a lot less millions than FF that is for sure.

Well as a start - improving match day and non match day revenue streams. Forward thinking. I'm sure many SUFC fans could help there. Decent catering/beer tents/entertainment .. a decent club shop.. get all those who drink in the Railway or the Spread till 2.50pm inside the ground spending cash there. Let's face it we're hardly enticing them in now. Local clubs further down the leagues put us to shame.

One way would be to stop paying numerous late fines, legal fees and interest on borrowings, let alone the amount that must of gone down the toilet re the plans at FF and beyond.

Oh yes and stop highering ****ing Helicopters!

Redeveloping RH could cost less than paying a premium for a ground that may never make it to construction. I know what I'd choose in this scenario. One stadium exists, the other doesn't.

If new owners were to own the Roots Hall site, they would have lots of freedom to pick and choose what facilities they add to the stadium.

Not to mention, it would probably take a similar amount of time to spruce RH up as it would to have an entire new stadium built.

As for the additional revenues, they will not be forthcoming in the next few years or so anyway so likely makes no difference to any buying party. They know they're inheriting a loss making venture and need to turn it around to add value to the club.

They know the club will be running at a loss until it is made sustainable by whatever means, whether that be a new ground, making our current ground better, or simply being rid of Ron's incompetence that costs us dearly.
These 4 posts absolutely nail it.

I'm not saying the football club wouldn't benefit from a shiny new stadium. Of course it would. Or could, if done right and with the best interests of club at heart, which I don't think Fossetts is.

Ultimately though, Ron Martin could make tens of millions of £s from redeveloping the Roots Hall site, so I wouldn’t trust his opinion on whether the club needs to leave Roots Hall or whether the ground can be redeveloped to be unbiased.

The main problem with redeveloping Roots Hall is you would need to start the planning permission all over again. We are currently limited to how high the South stand can go so we would probable need to rotate the pitch and that would mean a ground share for a few years and if you wanted to hold concerts/conventions when completed where will people park?
Which is exactly why the Portsmouth model works, because it is predominantly revamping the existing structures without any significant change in scale.
The East Stand (which would be the one you want to rebuild) would be the one which requires a bit more time and effort to design and plan, but that doesn't have to be undertaken in Year One.

Ask yourself this.

Would you go into partnership with RM on the build of FF stadium and on his terms?

For me, it falls down immediately. Absolutely ****ing not should be your answer.

So, there needs to be a Plan B. Can RH be purchased in full and re-developed enough to give us a platform to rebuild? Would that rid us of Ron? I would like to think it can, but as always it will come down to Ron playing ball and playing fair.

This scenario gives us hope. FF is dead in the water.

One final thing, before he runs his mouth off with suggestions of buyers not being able to afford FF, he should look in the mirror and remember nearly 25 years down the line of him trying, there is still no new stadium. Bell. It's not so much the money, it's more the build partner that is the issue...

I completely agree with this but would an investor such as Kimura be willing to undertake this, that's the issue, we only have three weeks.

Which is exactly why the Portsmouth model works, because it is predominantly revamping the existing structures without any significant change in scale.
The East Stand (which would be the one you want to rebuild) would be the one which requires a bit more time and effort to design and plan, but that doesn't have to be undertaken in Year One.
In our case, the North Stand first would be nice, to give all of us in the East somewhere to go when the East inevitably gets redone.

I completely agree with this but would an investor such as Kimura be willing to undertake this, that's the issue, we only have three weeks.
Thats an interesting question. And would gauge how much they want to own a football club, vs acquiring a property deal.

I hope it's the former with a long term plan achieving the latter.

Wouldn't the alleged presence of asbestos hinder the demolition of our stands?

You'd be ok with a stadium being built next to your house and having monthly music concerts and stuff yea?
It is not a stadium being built near house is it. It is a sports stadium being built with house near it. You would only buy one knowing that. No cause to complain.

Your example You'd be ok with a stadium being built next to your house and having monthly music concerts and stuff yea? is wide of the mark.

With all due respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back