• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the stadium would be there first under current plans. You'd have to be living under a rock to not know what is planned.

It's a bit like those that choose to buy a house next to an airport, then moan about the aircraft noise.

Annoying, for sure. But, don't buy a property at FF if you want peace and quiet?
I'm talking about redeveloping RH, not FF.

If people thinking staying at RH is the way forward then how we going to generate the income that Martin says we need?

This is after paying millions to redevelop RH too...

If people thinking staying at RH is the way forward then how we going to generate the income that Martin says we need?

It would be redeveloped and possibly cheaper than FF. Restrictions would limit the days of concerts.

The car park means there is ample room to redevelop it

You'd be ok with a stadium being built next to your house and having monthly music concerts and stuff yea?
Yes, concerts every so often and that would finish by midnight at the latest would be some distance from existing houses. Can’t see noise being an issue. As I said it would only impact on those apartments within the stadium build, and accepting that should be a condition of you living there. On the flip side many people but not all may enjoy having free concerts on their doorstep and the atmosphere that comes with it.

This is how I look at it as well.

If anything there's probably a larger blueprint at FF if he re-jigs the designs for housing only. Not only that, it saves Ron £40m+ by not having to build a stadium. Would the council back it, would they even perhaps help with a re-development fund for RH?

All that taken into account should then give Ron the ability (If he had the clubs best interests at heart) to either gift the RH site, or include in a sale for a very very low price. It's a deal that would be doing him a massive massive favour! It would also allow the new owner to crack on and not have to get involved with Ron in the development of a new stadium. Which I am sure we all agree would be a nightmare and probably end in disaster.

The new owner then has an asset they can re-develop for significantly less than what it would have cost to purchase FF.

Is this the "simpler deal" Anna Firth is referring to?
Smiffy, I think you are right. Anna Firth put a lot of emphasis in her recent communication on a "simpler" and possibly more transparent deal to expedite the possibility of a sale.

Last edited:
If I was a Southend fan redeveloping Roots Hall would be my choice, it has been your true home for so long like Layer Road is to me, for many it is the place your family have been going to for generations. The memories, the great victories, the heavy defeats, you/your kids 1st game there, maybe even where a loved ones ashes were scattered it all gets wiped out with a new stadium. Yes a new ground is great in some ways, but it is a long time before it ever really feels like home.

I’ve said refurbishment of RH would by far be a more attractive option than a soul-less out of town development. Especially since the FF development reduced from being retail, bars and restaurants to being surrounded by a housing estate.

@Colchester and proud! - do you still miss the days at Layer Road?

Of course I am a long term fan who saw literally hundreds of games there, my grandfather and my dad were there before me and my 4 younger brothers and sisters went too. It will always be our real home to me and many others, yes it was a s**t hole but it was our s**t hole and we loved it dearly and still do.

Last edited:

It is doable. Just by not having the debts that have been run up under Ron, immediately saves us huge amounts of money and eases cashflow.

Bring in people that know how to run a business, stop the haemorrhaging of cash, re-develop and modernise RH to include better corporate/entertainment facilities in the East and public concessions inside/outside than we have now (Sports Bar open all week etc) and with our attendances, we have a club that can definitely reduce that £100k a month shortfall.

Will it be as modern and profitable as a new build at FF? Probably not, but it's a hell of a lot better than we have now. Will it cost millions? Yes, but a lot less millions than FF that is for sure.

Any suggestions how we become self-sustainable?
Well as a start - improving match day and non match day revenue streams. Forward thinking. I'm sure many SUFC fans could help there. Decent catering/beer tents/entertainment .. a decent club shop.. get all those who drink in the Railway or the Spread till 2.50pm inside the ground spending cash there. Let's face it we're hardly enticing them in now. Local clubs further down the leagues put us to shame.

It is doable. Just by not have the debts that have been run up under Ron, immediately saves us huge amounts of money and eases cashflow.

Bring in people that know how to run a business, stop the haemorrhaging of cash, re-develop and modernise RH to include better corporate/entertainment facilities in the East and public concessions inside/outside than we have now (Sports Bar open all week etc) and with our attendances, we have a club that can definitely reduce that £100k a month shortfall.

Will it be as modern and profitable as a new build at FF? Probably not, but it's a hell of a lot better than we have now.
I agree with this, the only thing is we wouldnt be able to increase capacity I guess. I only say that due to the surroundings and invading natural light into properties etc. If we could expand then it could meet our needs if we were to move up the leagues and would also help to be more sustainable obviously

Smiffy, I think you are right. Anna Firth put a lot of emphasis in her recent communication on a "simpler" and possibility more transparent deal to expedite the possibility of a sale.

Politicians of all shades talk a lot, like to say what they think people want to hear. Pay no attention to them.

It’s not good at all for me. Every second I get depressed more and more. Our situation gets worse day by day. Clock is ticking as well. Just want OUR club back. I want to be going to Oldham match knowing “new owners, new start”.
We all agree with you, that's what we all want. Don't make yourself ill over it. Try and think positive that things are happening in the background that we don't know about. Turn your phone off for a bit and chat with someone about something other than football. We're all Shrimpers Josh and available for a chat 👍

Again... how? Why?

How much to redevelop? Is there even room to redevelop all sides?

Then going forward, how do we make the revenue that is apparently required to self-sustain the club?

Really cant see it working :(
Redeveloping RH could cost less than paying a premium for a ground that may never make it to construction. I know what I'd choose in this scenario. One stadium exists, the other doesn't.

If new owners were to own the Roots Hall site, they would have lots of freedom to pick and choose what facilities they add to the stadium.

Not to mention, it would probably take a similar amount of time to spruce RH up as it would to have an entire new stadium built.

As for the additional revenues, they will not be forthcoming in the next few years or so anyway so likely makes no difference to any buying party. They know they're inheriting a loss making venture and need to turn it around to add value to the club.

They know the club will be running at a loss until it is made sustainable by whatever means, whether that be a new ground, making our current ground better, or simply being rid of Ron's incompetence that costs us dearly.

Well as a start - improving match day and non match day revenue streams. Forward thinking. I'm sure many SUFC fans could help there. Decent catering/beer tents/entertainment .. a decent club shop.. get all those who drink in the Railway or the Spread till 2.50pm inside the ground spending cash there. Let's face it we're hardly enticing them in now. Local clubs further down the leagues put us to shame.
This

I more see it as a temporary measure while they look for a new site. So yes starting all this procedure again, but maybe with more competent owners.

Or depending what someone like sherrif H can cook up, maybe it is feesible to upgrade enough to accomodate for extra seating and the conferencing facilities that are needed to bring in additional income.

Ff has been pie in the sky a large chunk of my life. It doesnt even excite me anymore tbh.
I tend to agree, for me it's more like FFS

I see our friend Awooga has liked a few posts this morning. Gives you a little glimpse in to the issues re. FF and Ron's complete lack of being able to build anything.

Of course staying at a reinvigorated RH or a new stadium at FF will require an artificial pitch to maximise potential. Everyone okay with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back