• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being at the very first council meetings in Southend and Rochford, the attitude at both was that by building the stadium complex on Green belt, something that could be of use to the whole community at times, it could prevent Green belt being used for housing in the future.

Of course that was over fourteen years ago and councilors and attitudes to planning may have changed.................

And is greenbelt with no planning permissions?
I'd imagine more housing, ticking the box for the councils quota for housing in the Borough would pass reasonably quickly. Ton slready has permission for a football stadium with flats. Remove the football stadium, and the fans plaza and chuck in some more flats it would pass quickly.

He has said recently that it is feasible. He has been involved with the Fratton Park rebuild (iirc). Apologies if I have misremembered.

Obviously “feasible” is not the same as “we should definitely do this”
Forget moving the pitch - I can tell you that it would be possible to complete a sympathetic and relatively soft touch redevelopment of Roots Hall by building over the existing stands. If you want to know more, have a look at what we just finished at Fratton Park on the North and South Stands...

Give me half an hour with a new owner, and I'll have an option in front of them to redevelop Roots Hall in its entirety for about a quarter of what it will take to build FF.
Thanks @NZamba Legend just been back and found this. Seems to make the option more feasible.

Stan we thank you and continue to need you as possible the greatest player to play for Southend and most of us want you to remain part of yours and our club for the foreseeable future and help us survive this dreadful situation as without you and the shrimpers trust we have very little hope

@CRATE Any chance you know what time roughly the statement will be?

No mate. Not at all.

My only understanding right now is. KIMURA are looking for further financial support from funding partners.

Another interested party, the deal is seen to be too small and not hold the value they need to invest.

But in terms of an announcement tomorrow. I don’t have a clue.

The first thing we need to know is what do you get for £15m... Certainly not completed stadium. So apart from the stadium footprint does it included the Domes, training ground and overflow carpark.

Second thing the only reason Ron would want to ditch RH fast is because the housing market is heading for a record crash.....Its already happening, with projects being cancelled. Including next door to the training ground. RH as it stands is now worth less than it was 12 months ago and will be dropping more each quarter.

Ron will still want far more than £15m for RH and rebuilding stadium is far more expensive and time consuming than a new one at FF.......Its a non starter.

With Kimura seeming to not like Rons figures and not seeing RH as a prime or undervalued site......Many of you might want to consider Jai and others have said. They rightly pointed out to not judge our on a few drunken tweets from someone who may be just minion in their company.

Forget sipping Crystal with Hollywood heroes ( yes I got blindly excited as did all of you) its now cup of PG with the gardener.

Don't get to down with your thoughts......There are more testing times ahead over the next few weeks. Best save your tears and anger, your going to need them.

We few we lucky few......
You say- “The first thing we need to know is what do you get for £15m... Certainly not completed stadium.” Yet what he says is the FF stadium will cost £38m to build and he is selling for £15m. Of course you may say this can’t be true- but it’s what he says the offer is. I am sure if it isn’t Kimura will be putting us right. Because it certainly suggests if true Kimura may have unrealistic expectations and they will want to correct that view.

On the redevelopment of RH I have always believed that new build is more cost effective- but I remember Sherrif posting on this. I think he was/ is involved in updating Fratton Park. It appeared redevelopment is not as unrealistic as I assumed…and he’s the expert and I’m not…

Last edited:
No mate. Not at all.

My only understanding right now is. KIMURA are looking for further financial support from funding partners.

Another interested party, the deal is seen to be too small and not hold the value they need to invest.

“ My only understanding right now is. KIMURA are looking for further financial support from funding partners.”

Steady- that almost suggests what Ron said was true about what Kimura could afford?

No mate. Not at all.

Don't hang too much on any announcement tomorrow would be my bet. Likely to be another load of hot air from Ron in response to the protests.

I think we are likely to be in for a couple more weeks of much the same. Nothing concrete and a load of heresay.

Really not enjoying this summer.

As for a potential new site for a stadium, what is the latest with Queensway/Seaway? Heard existing plans were stalling. Any potential there?

Can't believe we are talking about potential new sites. It's taken 15 years to get planning on fossetts.

Fwiw I'd rather stay at roots hall and turn the stadium 180 degrees and rebuild it at say 15k. Would be far better but sadly that won't happen.

The first thing we need to know is what do you get for £15m... Certainly not completed stadium. So apart from the stadium footprint does it included the Domes, training ground and overflow carpark.

Second thing the only reason Ron would want to ditch RH fast is because the housing market is heading for a record crash.....Its already happening, with projects being cancelled. Including next door to the training ground. RH as it stands is now worth less than it was 12 months ago and will be dropping more each quarter.

Ron will still want far more than £15m for RH and rebuilding stadium is far more expensive and time consuming than a new one at FF.......Its a non starter.

With Kimura seeming to not like Rons figures and not seeing RH as a prime or undervalued site......Many of you might want to consider Jai and others have said. They rightly pointed out to not judge our on a few drunken tweets from someone who may be just minion in their company.

Forget sipping Crystal with Hollywood heroes ( yes I got blindly excited as did all of you) its now cup of PG with the gardener.

Don't get to down with your thoughts......There are more testing times ahead over the next few weeks. Best save your tears and anger, your going to need them.

We few we lucky few......

At today's prices, a completed 16,000 capacity stadium would be setting you back something in the region of £40-45m. With value engineering (essentially running through every element of the scope of works and stripping out any unnecessary 'garnish'), you might get close to that £38m figure Ron appeared to quote.

Right now, myself and other people involved in these circles believe that redeveloping Roots Hall is the better short to medium term solution.

You say- “The first thing we need to know is what do you get for £15m... Certainly not completed stadium.” Yet what he says is the FF stadium will cost £38m to build and he is selling for £15m. Of course you may say this can’t be true- but it’s what he says the offer is. I am sure if it isn’t Kimura will be putting us right. Because it certainly suggests if true Kimura may have unrealistic expectations and they will want to correct that view.

On the redevelopment of RH I have always believed that new build is more cost effective- but I remember Sherrif posting on this. I think he was/ is involved in updating Fratton Park. It appeared redevelopment is not as unrealistic as I assumed…and he’s the expert and I’m not…

Give me 4-6 weeks and we could pull together a design proposal and budget for each stand at RH in a similar vain to what he have done (and continue to do) at Fratton Park.
I won't mention any more detail or costs on here at this stage as this is all rather pointless until we know that the sale of RH is actually on the cards.

Don't hang too much on any announcement tomorrow would be my bet. Likely to be another load of hot air from Ron in response to the protests.

I think we are likely to be in for a couple more weeks of much the same. Nothing concrete and a load of heresay.

Really not enjoying this summer.

As for a potential new site for a stadium, what is the latest with Queensway/Seaway? Heard existing plans were stalling. Any potential there?

Of all sites, Queensway is probably the biggest political football one could choose.
My view remains that Roots Hall actually presents the best location for a stadium - it just so happens there is one there at the moment, so redevelopment of a sympathetic nature will probably also present the path of least resistance of any of the theoretical options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back