• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think it’s a case of debt that shouldn’t have been there.

If you had lent the club a substantial amount of money to pay a tax bill and to support it through some difficult times I have no doubt you’d ensure that it was properly evidenced.
Let’s see if we can get to 15000 posts on it 🤣.

I appreciate what you’re saying but you can only try and in most scenarios nobody ends up with full payment of the debt, no matter what is evidenced. Which is more a sad indictment of the system rather than anything else.

In theory the council could oversee the removal of said covenant to ensure they get the housing they require.

Though no deal is done with the council and with rates where they are that deal will not be the same as it would have been when planning was first agreed.
Correct.

If the club ceases to exist the goalposts will have moved. The local authority will not allow the land at RH to become derelict. They will want it developed and planning permission will eventually be granted at both RH and FF which is not interdependent.

I just want to confirm that the 3rd bidder is only interested in buying the club . It does not have sufficient resources to buy the stadium . Ron is quite happy with this outcome but would have much preferred to sell the stadium as part of the deal . Unfortunately , the other two bidders have not been able to come up with viable plans that are acceptable to him. It is therefore likely that he will be forced into a position where he has no alternative but to accept the terms set out by the 3rd bidder . The people behind the 3rd bid are now carrying out DD and taking the owners and directors text . Any significant problem unearthed by the DD will be the responsibility of Ron to sort out . The paperwork involved in buying a football club is considerable and will take a few weeks to complete . Meanwhile , there is absolutely no point in continuing with protests and boycotts. It is now time for fans to step up to the plate and buy their season cards for the new campaign . The lads on the pitch need to know they enjoy the full support of the fans.
Worst post I’ve ever seen. When we can’t play a friendly, why is anyone going to pay £400 for a season ticket? Delusional.

Get the embargo lifted, staff paid and then if you are a Martin - come back and ask. Even better sell the club - this weekend - and let someone else come and ask us on Monday.

Why does that evil man want to destroy 107 years of history. Does he not know the pain and heart ache he is causing. Does he even care It is so sad that other chairman have tryed to destroy the club .And he is finally doing it RON MARTIN hear this if our club dies I hope you rot in he'll

the reality is we are the club ...

the fans are a club - we could raise the money ourselves rather than handing it over

One reality of business is that money talks - 2.5 m - is a lot of money and its liquid - not tied up in mortgages/loans etc

Another reality is possession is 9/10ths of the law ..

Buy the club for a quid -

125k pcm running costs - equals 1.25 million in 10 months - we would have it

revitalise RH and deal with RM and hios fantasy debt and fantasy stadium the same way he deals with people - i.e. see you in court loser.

- other clubs have done this and thrived .

time to get off our knees
And what is your plan for year 2?

The most successful fan-owned clubs have been those that had no debt and a business plan that balanced revenue and spend. You are a long way from that.

Why does that evil man want to destroy 107 years of history. Does he not know the pain and heart ache he is causing. Does he even care It is so sad that other chairman have tryed to destroy the club .And he is finally doing it RON MARTIN hear this if our club dies I hope you rot in he'll
117 years.

If one were to look at Kimura’s credentials you would quickly understand that they are capable of quickly running through Those words are banned on a deal. Hence why they unearthed some hidden debt.

It’s abundantly clear that any new party will have to do the same level of Those words are banned and may not be as skilled, quick or good at it.

Let’s be honest there is only one person holding this up and his ego is way to big to understand when his race is run and to just move on quickly.

I today wrote an email to Anna Firth, MP. With some minor alterations concerning my identity, it reads as follows:

Dear Ms Firth,
I should say at the outset that I am not a constituent of yours. I was born in Rochford Hospital, brought up in a road close to the former SUFC stadium in Grainger Road, and attended Westcliff Grammar School. After A Levels I joined BP and moved to London. My brother lives with his partner in Leigh.
I am 76 years old and have supported Southend United since I was 7, since 1953. It is not something you can get out of your blood.
As I know you are aware, the club is about to go out of existence, due totally to the appalling mismanagement of the Chairman, Mr Ron Martin.
No facts concerning the Kimura Group have been made public, but as I understand it, the situation is as follows:
Kimura have made a firm offer to buy the club and the land on which the training ground sits, the land on which the stadium is to built, together with the planning permission already granted for a 21,000 seater four sided arena. They have no interest in ownership of other land at Fossetts Farm due to be developed as a much needed housing estate. They have also no interest in the land on which Roots Hall sits.
Mr Martin has turned down this offer, making it clear that he is happy to sell the loss-making club but unwilling to sell the land, insisting on retaining ownership of a proposed 16,000 seater three sided stadium in which a bunch of hideous flats is incorporated. Planning permission has NOT been granted for this aspect of the development.
While all this has been going on since March (and in a wider sense since before the 2008 banking crash), Mr Martin has made it clear that he is no longer willing or more likely able to fund the football club. Debts are huge, the club is insolvent and, it seems to me, the directors of South Eastern Leisure may be breaking the law, trading whilst insolvent.
Mr Martin has said on several occasions that Roots Hall is a cash cow and that the future viability of Southend United depends on being able to move into the new stadium at Fossetts Farm. Whilst acknowledging this, he refuses to allow Kimura the possibility of making the club profitable, by denying them ownership of the stadium and the training facilities.
All this you know Ms Firth.
No one can make Mr Martin sell the club. But I think there is one solution. A compulsory purchase order can be made where there is a compelling case in the public interest. The continuing survival of Southend United Football Club is such a compelling case. The club means a very great deal to many thousands of fans living in the city, and elsewhere, and is of significant benefit, economically and culturally, to the life of the city, more so if the ambitious plans of Kimura are fulfilled.
The council should rapidly agree a fair price for the land and planning permission for the stadium, compulsorily purchase it at that price from Mr Martin, and immediately sell it to Kimura. Mr Martin’s plans for the housing developments would be unaffected. The club would then be properly run and funded. And we as fans would be shot of Mr Martin.
Thanks for your time.
Yours sincerely,
…………………Hereford

I today wrote an email to Anna Firth, MP. With some minor alterations concerning my identity, it reads as follows:

Dear Ms Firth,
I should say at the outset that I am not a constituent of yours. I was born in Rochford Hospital, brought up in a road close to the former SUFC stadium in Grainger Road, and attended Westcliff Grammar School. After A Levels I joined BP and moved to London. My brother lives with his partner in Leigh.
I am 76 years old and have supported Southend United since I was 7, since 1953. It is not something you can get out of your blood.
As I know you are aware, the club is about to go out of existence, due totally to the appalling mismanagement of the Chairman, Mr Ron Martin.
No facts concerning the Kimura Group have been made public, but as I understand it, the situation is as follows:
Kimura have made a firm offer to buy the club and the land on which the training ground sits, the land on which the stadium is to built, together with the planning permission already granted for a 21,000 seater four sided arena. They have no interest in ownership of other land at Fossetts Farm due to be developed as a much needed housing estate. They have also no interest in the land on which Roots Hall sits.
Mr Martin has turned down this offer, making it clear that he is happy to sell the loss-making club but unwilling to sell the land, insisting on retaining ownership of a proposed 16,000 seater three sided stadium in which a bunch of hideous flats is incorporated. Planning permission has NOT been granted for this aspect of the development.
While all this has been going on since March (and in a wider sense since before the 2008 banking crash), Mr Martin has made it clear that he is no longer willing or more likely able to fund the football club. Debts are huge, the club is insolvent and, it seems to me, the directors of South Eastern Leisure may be breaking the law, trading whilst insolvent.
Mr Martin has said on several occasions that Roots Hall is a cash cow and that the future viability of Southend United depends on being able to move into the new stadium at Fossetts Farm. Whilst acknowledging this, he refuses to allow Kimura the possibility of making the club profitable, by denying them ownership of the stadium and the training facilities.
All this you know Ms Firth.
No one can make Mr Martin sell the club. But I think there is one solution. A compulsory purchase order can be made where there is a compelling case in the public interest. The continuing survival of Southend United Football Club is such a compelling case. The club means a very great deal to many thousands of fans living in the city, and elsewhere, and is of significant benefit, economically and culturally, to the life of the city, more so if the ambitious plans of Kimura are fulfilled.
The council should rapidly agree a fair price for the land and planning permission for the stadium, compulsorily purchase it at that price from Mr Martin, and immediately sell it to Kimura. Mr Martin’s plans for the housing developments would be unaffected. The club would then be properly run and funded. And we as fans would be shot of Mr Martin.
Thanks for your time.
Yours sincerely,
…………………Hereford
Sadly, even if it was possible the legal process of obtaining and implementing a CPO can take years. The club will have ceased to exist long before that.

Genuine question;

Does the whole ground (Roots Hall) need to be opened to qualify for the certificate?
Or could we say have two stands open and still obtain the certificate, does anybody know?

Correct.

If the club ceases to exist the goalposts will have moved. The local authority will not allow the land at RH to become derelict. They will want it developed and planning permission will eventually be granted at both RH and FF which is not interdependent.
Long term yes. Short term it would be a toxic move and I don't believe the Council would support it.

Long term yes. Short term it would be a toxic move and I don't believe the Council would support it.
I agree that it would be toxic if Ron was involved in the development of either piece of land. However that toxicity will soon be diluted if he sold the land to major housing developers.

Reactions: fbm
I’m in too why not. Fan ownership needs to be implemented at all football clubs. 51% for fans is the way to go in this modern era. A community run football club would be great. I think there’s a country where the government basically stated that fans need to own 51% of the football club…
It's Germany, and interestingly, the debate over there suggests that they should move away from it and back towards the model you more commonly see over here.

Adopting the German model was specifically considered by Tracey Crouch and her Panel and they concluded it would cost billions to implement here, and thus rejected it as an option.

I just want to confirm that the 3rd bidder is only interested in buying the club . It does not have sufficient resources to buy the stadium . Ron is quite happy with this outcome but would have much preferred to sell the stadium as part of the deal . Unfortunately , the other two bidders have not been able to come up with viable plans that are acceptable to him. It is therefore likely that he will be forced into a position where he has no alternative but to accept the terms set out by the 3rd bidder . The people behind the 3rd bid are now carrying out DD and taking the owners and directors text . Any significant problem unearthed by the DD will be the responsibility of Ron to sort out . The paperwork involved in buying a football club is considerable and will take a few weeks to complete . Meanwhile , there is absolutely no point in continuing with protests and boycotts. It is now time for fans to step up to the plate and buy their season cards for the new campaign . The lads on the pitch need to know they enjoy the full support of the fans.
Oh do **** off Ron

I agree that it would be toxic if Ron was involved in the development of either piece of land. However that toxicity will soon be diluted if he sold the land to major housing developers.
Thinking about Clairvoyant’s messages I think the clear plan is to pass the batten to someone else to fail and plead the ‘ poor me gov, I didn’t sink the club why should I and my development be punished’

It stinks, unless he sells to someone with a clear business plan, not a stop gap, he is calculatingly and deliberately killing the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back