• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the question posing the most angst amongst us all is whether this thread will reach 11,000 posts before we hear of a takeover or not, or will will all implode by then. :Winking:
I think you should start a 50-50 sweepstake Cricko to raise funds for the zone. £1 an entry name the post number that the official takeover is announced!!!!!

Paul is an excellent chairman of the Shrimpers Trust and certainly deserves a place on the board under a new owner . It is such a big pity that the fanbase has splintered in the way that it has .
Paul has been doing some unreal work. Been pleased to work alongside him for some of it.

The root cause of the fractured fanbase always goes back to RM. He has thrived off "divide and conquer", and his unfulfilled promise to give a seat on the board and/or some say to the fanbase has been damaging. The Trust does unbelievable work but, ultimately and tragically, has no tangible power.

It needs some power, via a seat on the board or some other kind of mechanism, in order to engage and attract interest from a bigger portion of the supporter base.

Hopefully a new owner, whoever it is, might be open to it.

So are we going the way of the Bury or will Ron survive and build his 20k odd stadium and emulate Darlington :Unsure:

We would never go the way of Darlington.

They were a smaller club who built a 25k stadium in the middle of nowhere.

Fwiw I think Ron will have to pay the bill by the 12th and the players as he can't risk the deal falling through or the club going under.

Paul has been doing some unreal work. Been pleased to work alongside him for some of it.

The root cause of the fractured fanbase always goes back to RM. He has thrived off "divide and conquer", and his unfulfilled promise to give a seat on the board and/or some say to the fanbase has been damaging. The Trust does unbelievable work but, ultimately and tragically, has no tangible power.

It needs some power, via a seat on the board or some other kind of mechanism, in order to engage and attract interest from a bigger portion of the supporter base.

Hopefully a new owner, whoever it is, might be open to it.
I have no doubt that Paul and others within the Shrimpers Trust do as you say ‘unreal work’, if I play devils advocate we often rightly criticize the club and in particular Ron Martin for a lack of communication. So whilst much good work is likely being done behind the scenes, the majority do not see this due to lack of communication to the public by the trust. Fractures also have occurred due to as an example different select groups being on zoom calls whilst others are not privy to this. The fact there are so many different little groups and not one or two big supporter groups weakens us as a representative fanbase and as alluded to poses less strength and influence on Ron and the board. Hopefully this changed too moving forward. We need to be Southend UNITED

I have no doubt that Paul and others within the Shrimpers Trust do as you say ‘unreal work’, if I play devils advocate we often rightly criticize the club and in particular Ron Martin for a lack of communication. So whilst much good work is likely being done behind the scenes, the majority do not see this due to lack of communication to the public by the trust. Fractures also have occurred due to as an example different select groups being on zoom calls whilst others are not privy to this. The fact there are so many different little groups and not one or two big supporter groups weakens us as a representative fanbase and as alluded to poses less strength and influence on Ron and the board. Hopefully this changed too moving forward. We need to be Southend UNITED
I also have no doubt that the Trust are doing the most incredible stuff behind the scenes - you only need to look at the brillant day we had at Bowers and Pitsea for James Walker's benefit match. That day, the planning, the organisation and the amazing contributions for the event was outstanding! This is one small example of a much larger well-organised machine.

The biggest issue that the Trust has is a lack of a clear communications strategy (always the hardest part to do) that appeals to the various parts of the fan base. I personally dont feel connected to the Trust, and I am not sure that if I was my opinions would be taken into account or matter - but that is based purely on a feeling and observations from afar rather than anything else.

I would love to see a fully inclusive single Supporters Trust that pulls in all of our various "factions", where everyone is welcome no matter their ages, ideas, interests and opinions. However, making this a reality is probably as complex as the sale of the club is proving to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back