• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we only get a maximum of 10k for football matches? We are at the lowest point in the league of our history right now, and our two seasons at this level have both seen us have attendances over 8,000 for matches where the opposition brought tiny numbers - especially Bromley in February 2022.

At the time we had also had years (several in a row) of terminal decline, regular visits to the courts over unpaid tax, unpaid staff and players, a crumbling Roots Hall and we were all sick to the back teeth of Ron.

Why on earth couldn’t we attract more 1,000 or two extra fans regularly with all those problems resolved and being more successful on the pitch? We absolutely could - and what’s more we will.
If we ever get there the first season at the new stadium will be crucial. All the floaters and part timers will come and if we are playing great football in a great stadium they will come back. Need a freddy mkII

All the additional money going to the club from concerts and other stadium shows, American football matches, esports tournaments, ground share deal etc wouldn’t hurt. 21k makes it one of the biggest entertainment venues (ex London) in SE England….
Exactly.

Not to mention the fact that you'll get a bump in attendances just by virtue of having clean, safe, modern facilities and better match day experience.

I can assure you the club is already losing its potential next generation of young supporters to London clubs in part because of the state of the facilities and the poor match day experience. Plenty of local parents won't bring their kids to Roots Hall because it's "a **** hole".

We can argue til we're blue in the face about the fallacies of that way of thinking, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
All the additional money going to the club from concerts and other stadium shows, American football matches, esports tournaments, ground share deal etc wouldn’t hurt. 21k makes it one of the biggest entertainment venues (ex London) in SE England….
The planning restriction on the stadium restricts other events to, I think, 3 occasions per year. Presumably this is the outdoor stadium rather than inside function rooms.

How refreshing to be thinking positively for a change about our beloved club. And instead of thinking about extinction/liquidation etc we are guessing about the new owners, what they will bring to club etc. Parking the celebrity hype for a moment the Kimura angle looks interesting. Local lads, a strong Africa connection (who knows where this might lead in future I.e player aquisitions) and one of Kimura's senior employers is a certain Mr Brooking from Shenfield. Not THE Mr Brooking but another headline to be written all the same. Happy days (hopefully). It is Southend, after all. UTB.

A 21k stadium with at the very maximum 10k (including away) supporters would make us look like MK, or worse, C*l Ewe.
Roots Hall capacity = 12,392
Average attendance = 6,057
Percentage of capacity = 49%

Fossetts Farm capacity = 21,000
Average attendance = 10,000 (your estimate)
Percentage of capacity = 48%

Therefore it’s not really any different to what we are experiencing now. I’d suggest your 10,000 predictions could be a tad light as well. The new owner effect and new stadium bounce will be massive for this club… all aboard.

Plus as @Awooga says, think beyond just the football. The potential income streams with a larger venue are huge. All about sweating your assets, which I have no doubt these guys will do. Even at Roots Hall things could be so much better. Pop up bar and street food, dj etc pre-match fanzone in the car park?

despite what ron said about 3 offers on the table I really do think this is now a one horse race till the finishing line .Lets all hpoe next week the deal is done Then everyone can move on to the season ahead .Have a good weekend boys and girls And start afresh next week
At least half the time people think Ron is lying it’s because they didn’t actually read properly what was said.

Ron never said there were three offers on the table. The club statement said 3 NDAs and heads of terms had been issued.

This means three parties expressed an interest. Note that the heads of terms were issued (a unilateral act) rather than actually being agreed by those three parties.

No period of exclusivity had been agreed as of a week ago when the statement was issued. That probalby changed Thursday but it also means the process was probably behind where Zoners were thinking it was.

My instinct also says Matt Slater is being overly optimistic in thinking next week. He’s obviously spoken to at least one of the parties so will have a better idea of where negotiations are at but I’d suggest another couple of weeks is more likely. My experience is that these things always take longer than the parties expect.

Therefore it’s not really any different to what we are experiencing now. I’d suggest your 10,000 predictions could be a tad light as well. The new owner effect and new stadium bounce will be massive for this club… all aboard.

Plus as @Awooga says, think beyond just the football. The potential income streams with a larger venue are huge. All about sweating your assets, which I have no doubt these guys will do. Even at Roots Hall things could be so much better. Pop up bar and street food, dj etc pre-match fanzone in the car park?
Still 4,000 plus x extra £££

Sadly I think other events outside of matches will be limited as it is going to be residential.

I think many people are underestimating the ‘Ron gone bounce’!
I predict that there will be a lot of people who won’t be able to get tickets for the early games under new ownership- even though it will be holiday season July/August!
The demand, as our hopes are fulfilled, could(should) be really exceptional
I haven't been to Roots Hall in years and I'm planning to attend games next season now! Ron gone will pull fans back if the new owners show they are ambitious to take us back to the efl.

At least half the time people think Ron is lying it’s because they didn’t actually read properly what was said.

Ron never said there were three offers on the table. The club statement said 3 NDAs and heads of terms had been issued.

This means three parties expressed an interest. Note that the heads of terms were issued (a unilateral act) rather than actually being agreed by those three parties.

No period of exclusivity had been agreed as of a week ago when the statement was issued. That probalby changed Thursday but it also means the process was probably behind where Zoners were thinking it was.

My instinct also says Matt Slater is being overly optimistic in thinking next week. He’s obviously spoken to at least one of the parties so will have a better idea of where negotiations are at but I’d suggest another couple of weeks is more likely. My experience is that these things always take longer than the parties expect.
I think it will be end of next week latest. Too many deadlines looming, and Kimura wanted it done by 1st June latest. In particular, I think, they understand very acutely the impact of any further delays on the football dept. Either way I guess we will not have long to wait.

You can almost smell the hope, optimism and vision for the future on this thread now. Will the doomongers please take a long hard look at themselves, and get on board the new train of excitement at the potential. It's moving towards reality..and we want as many on board as possible. COYB's!
But but but no one will buy us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back