• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as delighted as anyone at the prospect of the end of years of living on a knife edge, but are we getting a little swept away with just getting rid of Ron? Which given the last 5 years (or more) is clearly needed and a welcome outcome, but what do we know about the new owners intentions for us and the reasons for taking us on?
What is interesting is that Vic and Ron were both clearly interested in the development opportunities Southend United offered.
Without that element I just wonder what is the motivation? Arguably, thats something to celebrate on its own, i.e. not being looked at as purely a development opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, anything is an improvement on taking the club to the brink like this, but looking forward to hearing the why, objectives and motivation.

Cautiously optimistic, but wary. Is that unfair?
They aren't Ron, that's all we need to know.

They aren't Ron, that's all we need to know.
I really dont like this attitude - as much as Ron has killed us.

We have NO idea what new owners is gonna look like and I hope that for everyone fawning over this pretty much unknown group, the wheels dont come off.

Seen it sooo many times at other clubs. Even like Leicester, after winning premier league and fa cup, their fans have rounded on the owners as they stopped putting money in (or being able to). So many clubs have trumpeted in new owners only for it to go south pretty quickly.

I'm cautiously optimistic and hopeful all turns out to be sunshine and roses, but as for parties at Roots Hall and the like when/if takeover happens soon... nah, not for me.

We don't need rich owners, we never have. Apart from Jobson Era when was the last time we spent more than 300k on a player? Never and we survived well in league one and two and probably could under our own steam without being reckless.

We just need a steady custodian (regardless of their desire to make a dollar at the back end - which is frequent in a lot of clubs - they are either ego rubbers who want to c0*k swing and say look at me im a football club owner or they are like Ron or the Glaizers looking for their pound of flesh) will keep the players paid, sort us out with a new home as the Roots Hall neglect has made any modification impossible.

We have NO idea what new owners is gonna look like and I hope that for everyone fawning over this pretty much unknown group, the wheels dont come off.

Seen it sooo many times at other clubs. Even like Leicester, after winning premier league and fa cup, their fans have rounded on the owners as they stopped putting money in (or being able to). So many clubs have trumpeted in new owners only for it to go south pretty quickly.

I'm cautiously optimistic and hopeful all turns out to be sunshine and roses, but as for parties at Roots Hall and the like when/if takeover happens soon... nah, not for me.
Totally understand, but if this happens and Sky Sports head down to Roots Hall, try and hold me back
1685639640963.gif

We don't need rich owners, we never have. Apart from Jobson Era when was the last time we spent more than 300k on a player? Never and we survived well in league one and two and probably could under our own steam without being reckless.

We just need a steady custodian (regardless of their desire to make a dollar at the back end - which is frequent in a lot of clubs - they are either ego rubbers who want to c0*k swing and say look at me im a football club owner or they are like Ron or the Glaizers looking for their pound of flesh) will keep the players paid, sort us out with a new home as the Roots Hall neglect has made any modification impossible.
Louder for the people at the back, please 🙌🏻

I'm sorry @gatecrasher but this is totally incorrect from what I have been reading on this forum over the last 15 years.
The vast majority of fans want success at ANY cost, as long as it is not to them personally.
It has been well said on here ad nauseam that Ron overreached himself during our Championship season and his chickens have been coming home to roost ever since. But, even during that campaign, there was a huge clamour on here to spend more money.
I really hope the new owners will set the club on a stable foundation, but you can be sure, as eggs are eggs, that the message on here will be, be like Viv Nicholson. (Look her up kids)

It depends how you define rich. We do need 'rich' owners to subsidise the losses until the club can get on an even keel. I agree we don't need 'rich' owners to spend on transfer fees at this level, although as we hopefully move up the leagues then having a healthy transfer budget each season will be nice.

I'm sorry @gatecrasher but this is totally incorrect from what I have been reading on this forum over the last 15 years.
The vast majority of fans want success at ANY cost, as long as it is not to them personally.
It has been well said on here ad nauseam that Ron overreached himself during our Championship season and his chickens have been coming home to roost ever since. But, even during that campaign, there was a huge clamour on here to spend more money.
I really hope the new owners will set the club on a stable foundation, but you can be sure, as eggs are eggs, that the message on here will be, be like Viv Nicholson. (Look her up kids)
I like what you did there!

Come to think of it, she had a similar bouffant to The Great Leader.

Last edited:
This is all to much to take in . Yesterday the players got payed .Then the accounts where brought up to date .Now a deal is ment to be over the line nearly .I dont think my heart can take much more of this .Plese for the sake of my sainity get this all finished .
It’s still don’t seem real I dread to think me rate on me pacemaker when it finally goes through it will hit scores like It did for the play off final and Sunderland at home game but wouldn’t want it any other way 🦐🤞

This is all to much to take in . Yesterday the players got payed .Then the accounts where brought up to date .Now a deal is ment to be over the line nearly .I dont think my heart can take much more of this .Plese for the sake of my sainity get this all finished .
Hallelujah to that, let's all hope we're almost there.

It'd be great either way for me if an announcement was made tomorrow at 3 as some have alluded too. Last day for work before a few days off for the summer.

If there is no news by Monday, then Tuesday i am taking myself to Tobago to get away from it all and it'll all be done when I get back, there I really am dreaming now!!

Very exciting if the deal goes through. But I'll reserve judgement on the new owners. Ron was supposed to be the new messiah and look how that turned out. Let's hope we get good ones this time

Very true..always beware what you wish for re owners of football clubs. And we were never to have a choice. So given the input/feedback of Messrs Slater and Phillips, and what we can see, all we can surely be is optimistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back