• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just add that I believe the Trust's decision to ask fans to delay renewing was correct even if I decided not to go along with it. They needed to do something substantive to try and free the log jam of silence and obfuscation. Only one person to blame here. Not Tom, not the Trust, not Stan not John Still not Kev, Daz or Benno. Not the office staff, the ticket office or the kit man or ground staff.
My admiration for them all is beyond measure.

its a bit like an abusive relationship. If you constantly lie, break promises, lead someone down a darker path, dont be surprised and blame them if they start to withdraw a bit, In this case withdraw some hard earned cash in tough times.

Its staggering beyond belief just how loyal Southend fans have been given the torment Ron has bug.er.d them through, Yet, we keep coming back for more, despite Rons dreadful Management, level of self interest and inability to relate

To even hint at laying it on the supporters would be a further appalling act of abuse

And you have to factor in everything else going on.

Season ticket prices have gone up at the same time as bills, food, fuel.. 1000 fewer season tickets sold might not all be down to protests and if that is what is being suggested then there has to be an element of delusion involved. People are having to prioritise spending and unfortunately for SUFC/Ron/TL, season tickets aren't the priority for many.

This has been an ongoing saga for a while an good luck to them.

By comparison their financial position was and is a country mile more stable than that at Southend but there are certain similarities in that their stadium and land around it was the likely destination of a major housing development.

They as a club owe way over a million including a sum circa £600 k to the outgoing majority owner ( guess that’s going to be paid off ) two loans payable over 20 years totalling £800k to the English Sports Council Their book debts would be far higher but in 2022 they sold the stadium and land surrounding to the local council .
The chap that has taken over the majority ownership seems a wealthy supporter and that is a good thing but he is involved in property and we all know how things can get out of control

So someone says something that he believes that frankly in my opinion is true and some fans can't hack it. No wonder they choose to say little. If the short fall is £200k and the difference in season ticket sales is 1000 less which equates to £200k, it seems pretty obvious to me. And I can't see any blame being put anywhere. Simply stating a fact.

That's what I made of it too, he did even say he wasn't having a pop just putting out a factual statement.

We've been lied to so much now (not by TL) that people won't believe anything. Sad state of affairs.
The tax debt hasn't been paid because Ron Martin has financially mismanaged the club and was either unable or unwilling to meet historical tax obligations when they fell due. That's the only factual statement.

The sum total of missing season card sales might have been enough to cover the tax debt. Doesn't mean that's what it would have been used for.

If you scratch the surface or think a bit more critically about it, you might say that season ticket monies shouldn't be paying off legacy debts like that. It's one thing for that revenue to be used to get us through the summer. We can all accept that. But I can see why some draw the line at paying for next season's product and for the revenue from those sales to have dried up before current season has even ended. It's kicking the can down the road and enabling continued gross financial mismanagement.

I've read the minutes of the April Trust/SUFC liaison meeting and Tom Lawrence at least three times blamed statements from the combined supporters groups for the reduction in season ticket sales. This is delusional at best and an outright lie at worst. It's a condescending suggestion that individual fans can't think for themselves, and it conveniently forgets the years of appalling mismanagement, shocking communication and treating the supporters with contempt. Like they don't need or deserve to know what's going on. The anger built up and now the chickens are coming home to roost, and there is absolutely nobody to blame for that but Southend United.

The club has had it easy for far too long, with the blind compliance and acquiescence, and the refusal of some to question the propaganda and revisionist history that the hierarchy spouts.

I like Tom Lawrence. I think the club would have struggled to keep it's head above water without him last season. I definitely think he had started to repair the club's image in football and business circles too, until Martin's recent woes undid that work.

I also think that working with Ron Martin brings out the worst in him though, and I've been seeing for several months some concerning similarities with the chairman starting to emerge when it comes to communication and treatment of supporters. The Party speak, the deflection, the revisionism, the lack of self-awarenness and readiness to pass the blame. Plenty of people are sick of it and there has undoubtedly been a much needed change of sentiment and hardening of stance across the fanbase. It definitely cranks up the pressure on the owner to sell up.

Last edited:
Is it just me that finds it slightly ironic that at the very point Ron announces he is selling the club and withdraws his funding the fans who have been pressuring him to sell also withdraw their funding?

D
Wasn't the season ticket abstention prior to Ron putting the club up for sale?

National League confirm rule around Southend United's embargo​

National League confirm rule around Southend United's embargo​

12th May
SOUTHEND UNITED FC
FOOTBALL
SPORT

By Chris Phillips@cjphillips1982Chief sports reporter
Under embargo - Southend United (Image: Focus Images)

THE National League have confirmed teams are allowed to start a season under a transfer embargo.
Cash-strapped Southend United have been banned from adding to their squad since September due to money owed to HMRC.
Fans had feared the Shrimpers would be unable to start the 2023/24 season if the embargo was not lifted.
But the National League have now told Echosport that teams can kick off a campaign under an embargo as long as they have a license.

The tax debt hasn't been paid because Ron Martin has financially mismanaged the club and was either unable or unwilling to meet historical tax obligations when they fell due. That's the only factual statement.

The sum total of missing season card sales might have been enough to cover the tax debt. Doesn't mean that's what it would have been used for.

If you scratch the surface or think a bit more critically about it, you might say that season ticket monies shouldn't be paying off legacy debts like that. It's one thing for that revenue to be used to get us through the summer. We can all accept that. But I can see why some draw the line at paying for next season's product and for the revenue from those sales to have dried up before current season has even ended. It's kicking the can down the road and enabling continued gross financial mismanagement.

I've read the minutes of the April Trust/SUFC liaison meeting and Tom Lawrence at least three times blamed statements from the combined supporters groups for the reduction in season ticket sales. This is delusional at best and an outright lie at worst. It's a condescending suggestion that individual fans can't think for themselves, and it conveniently forgets the years of appalling mismanagement, shocking communication and treating the supporters with contempt. Like they don't need or deserve to know what's going on. The anger built up and now the chickens are coming home to roost, and there is absolutely nobody to blame for that but Southend United.

The club has had it easy for far too long, with the blind compliance and acquiescence, and the refusal of some to question the propaganda and revisionist history that the hierarchy spouts.

I like Tom Lawrence. I think the club would have struggled to keep it's head above water without him last season. I definitely think he had started to repair the club's image in football and business circles too, until Martin's recent woes undid that work.

I also think that working with Ron Martin brings out the worst in him though, and I've been seeing for several months some concerning similarities with the Chairman starting to emerge when it comes to communication and treatment of supporters. The Party speak, the deflection, the revisionism, the lack of self-awarenness and readiness to pass the blame.
As with most things, there isn't a sole cause of season ticket sales being down. The request from supporters groups is one factor amongst many

As with most things, there isn't a sole cause of season ticket sales being down. The request from supporters groups is one factor amongst many
Indeed. I'd say it was at first, but the stance was relaxed after the meeting with RM and TL and it was quite clearly stated that it was up to individuals and their circumstances as to whether they purchase or not. The fact that there are still quite that many that haven't suggests that there would have been a significant number who abstained from purchasing with or without the supporters' groups' stance.

Can I just add that I believe the Trust's decision to ask fans to delay renewing was correct even if I decided not to go along with it. They needed to do something substantive to try and free the log jam of silence and obfuscation. Only one person to blame here. Not Tom, not the Trust, not Stan not John Still not Kev, Daz or Benno. Not the office staff, the ticket office or the kit man or ground staff.
My admiration for them all is beyond measure.
The Trust’s decision to ask fans to delay season card renewals?

Without wishing to split hairs here, I thought it was a joint decision by all supporters groups to delay renewal of season cards, not just the Trust’s decision?

Last edited:
Indeed. I'd say it was at first, but the stance was relaxed after the meeting with RM and TL and it was quite clearly stated that it was up to individuals and their circumstances as to whether they purchase or not. The fact that there are still quite that many that haven't suggests that there would have been a significant number who abstained from purchasing with or without the supporters' groups' stance.
Absolutely agree. Those that haven't renewed may well have their own finances to consider and just because they did not to buy a season ticket doesn't mean that they won't support the club by attending some matches. It's a pity the club haven't also planned carefully with their finances rather than be in the position of needing the money immediately. Also, I was under the impression/hoping the season ticket money was to be used to cover outstanding staff wages. There was undoubtedly going to be another tax bill but no indication was given that it would be due so soon.

Maybe there is a small ray of hope that we dont know about .Reading that yeovil has to keep there supportes in the dark regarding the sale to new owners .I like to hope we are in the same boat . Maybe we have a buyer and at this present time the club cannot tell the fans who it maybe .Hears hopeing this is so .

So someone says something that he believes that frankly in my opinion is true and some fans can't hack it. No wonder they choose to say little. If the short fall is £200k and the difference in season ticket sales is 1000 less which equates to £200k, it seems pretty obvious to me. And I can't see any blame being put anywhere. Simply stating a fact.
It’s complex because there are all sorts of reasons someone might not renew.

It is true a number not renewing said they want to hurt the club and therefore Ron financially to force an early sale. The first bit has definitively worked. Regarding the second the jury is out I guess.

It is also obvious that if you have succeeded in the former then the clubs ability to pay the bills, wages etc. is impacted.

Most I think accept that and will argue that it’s unfortunate short term pain for long term benefit (again you can have a view on that). They own the outcome because they believe it is ultimately for the right reasons.

Where I do struggle a little is the idea that the first point has succeeded yet somehow Tom’s point is somehow all wrong? It’s all someone else’s fault. It isn’t. Part of it (and we can argue about how much) is down to the decision to boycott.

I hope that Tom doesn’t become the latest target for stating what is at least to some significant extent the obvious (or as you say stating a fact).

PS I hate using the word fact on here- it’s normally preceded by complete fiction…..

Last edited:
Interesting re sale of Yeovil. Note the bit about ability to share information during the process.

Thats what i did say .Maybe we do have a buyer in the back ground .But untill the ink is dry on the sale .Keeping quite may not be a bad thing .Only time will tell .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back