• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with much of the above, but I read the part in bold about clubs being demoted for much less in the Devon press and wanted them to provide examples.

Gateshead were initially expelled from the National League and refused a 2019/20 license for a combination of factors. They breached rules on financial reporting and permitted loans, had defaulted on payments to football creditors and failed to provide security of tenure on their ground. They got new owners and were demoted to National League North on appeal.

The other recent example is Macclesfield Town. They were only expelled from the National League after being wound-up in September 2020. They were accepted into the National League having missed payments to players the previous season (resulting in them failing to fulfil two EFL fixtures) and with an impending 12th hearing of the same winding-up petition (not a fresh one).

Those are the two recent cases I can think of; if there are examples of others, I’m happy to be educated.

We have been sanctioned for defaulting on payments to HMRC as we’ve been under an embargo since the end of September. Whilst the National League has the ability to demote, suspend or expel the club, they would need to be able to make the case that we can’t satisfy them we’ll be in a position to start or complete the season.

Whilst I’m far from happy with the current situation at the club, I’m not sure we’ve reached that stage yet, and I’m also unconvinced that any clubs other than Torquay would potentially want to lobby for it. A more likely additional sanction, if the league wanted to flex its muscles, would be a points deduction.
It’s worth looking at Boston Utd’s history.

What's right with him? But accept you are correct, shouldn't stray into politics. Just an indicator as to Redknapp's moral fibre.
Neville Southall, Bob Ward and Derick Chisora have also been interviewed by Nigel Farage does that make them immoral in your eyes too?.

It’s worth looking at Boston Utd’s history.
I assume you are referencing their two-step demotion from League Two to National League North in 2007 and then demotion to the Northern Premier League in 2008? If so, they are very different circumstances to our own and, in the intervening 15 years, The FA's Standardised Rules have been updated.

Boston United entered a CVA at the end of 2006/07, triggering a 10-point deduction. FA Rules at that time stipulated that a club would be relegated two steps depending on the terms of the CVA (which in this case included a restriction from HMRC that football creditors would not be paid 100% of what they were owed). At the end of the following season, Boston were still in administration, and were therefore demoted to Step 3.

As we haven't entered administration (yet, perhaps), this isn't particularly relevant to our case. Furthermore, FA Standardised Rules (to which the National League conforms) have set punishments for entering administration (including when it is followed by a CVA), which is a 10-point deduction, and then for the variation of that CVA so that it doesn't conform to FA regulations (which is now a one-step demotion).

But if that isn't what you were referring to, again, I'm happy to be educated.

Neville Southall, Bob Ward and Derick Chisora have also been interviewed by Nigel Farage does that make them immoral in your eyes too?.
Well none of them were involved in trying to put our club out of business in the late 1990s (Neville Southall didn't help admittedly) like Redknapp was, but I'd question their judgement allowing them to be interviewed by NF. NF is not a journalist, he is a failed politician and hate preacher.

Right, no more I promise Mods.

I assume you are referencing their two-step demotion from League Two to National League North in 2007 and then demotion to the Northern Premier League in 2008? If so, they are very different circumstances to our own and, in the intervening 15 years, The FA's Standardised Rules have been updated.

Boston United entered a CVA at the end of 2006/07, triggering a 10-point deduction. FA Rules at that time stipulated that a club would be relegated two steps depending on the terms of the CVA (which in this case included a restriction from HMRC that football creditors would not be paid 100% of what they were owed). At the end of the following season, Boston were still in administration, and were therefore demoted to Step 3.

As we haven't entered administration (yet, perhaps), this isn't particularly relevant to our case. Furthermore, FA Standardised Rules (to which the National League conforms) have set punishments for entering administration (including when it is followed by a CVA), which is a 10-point deduction, and then for the variation of that CVA so that it doesn't conform to FA regulations (which is now a one-step demotion).

But if that isn't what you were referring to, again, I'm happy to be educated.
What I was referencing was the circumstances that led to the two step demotion and not the rules in place

On 4 December 2006, Boston's plan to relocate to a new stadium on The Boardsides was unanimously rejected by Boston Borough Council. This plunged the club's future into serious doubt. Chairman James Rodwell said the club's future was "hanging in the balance" because York Street did not have the facilities to allow the club to operate at a profit, and a ground move was required to wipe out the club's debts. Rodwell confirmed that he would be meeting with shareholders over the next couple of days to determine the best course of action, but did admit that the club's future was ultimately now in the hands of HM Revenue and Customs, who were owed a sizeable six-figure sum by the club.

In a statement he released to the club's official website on 5 December he said: "The club's financial situation at the present moment is dire. I would urge all supporters and anybody interested in the future of the football club, be that investors or potential purchasers, to come forward immediately".

What I was referencing was the circumstances that led to the two step demotion and not the rules in place

On 4 December 2006, Boston's plan to relocate to a new stadium on The Boardsides was unanimously rejected by Boston Borough Council. This plunged the club's future into serious doubt. Chairman James Rodwell said the club's future was "hanging in the balance" because York Street did not have the facilities to allow the club to operate at a profit, and a ground move was required to wipe out the club's debts. Rodwell confirmed that he would be meeting with shareholders over the next couple of days to determine the best course of action, but did admit that the club's future was ultimately now in the hands of HM Revenue and Customs, who were owed a sizeable six-figure sum by the club.

In a statement he released to the club's official website on 5 December he said: "The club's financial situation at the present moment is dire. I would urge all supporters and anybody interested in the future of the football club, be that investors or potential purchasers, to come forward immediately".
Thanks. This additional context is useful, so I appreciate you sharing.

My original post was referencing rules and regulations owing to the suggestion that the National League have demoted clubs for far less than we are guilty of, which is something that I’ve yet to see clear evidence of.

Nonetheless, there are many historic lessons we can learn from, and this is one such example.

Thanks. This additional context is useful, so I appreciate you sharing.

My original post was referencing rules and regulations owing to the suggestion that the National League have demoted clubs for far less than we are guilty of, which is something that I’ve yet to see clear evidence of.

Nonetheless, there are many historic lessons we can learn from, and this is one such example.
And you wont see evidence of because its not true. Classic case of telling people what they want to hear...they then can endlessly repeat on SM as if true, but, as always, it never makes it true...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back