• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
well done you .. you have looked at some accounts ..

looks fine to me .. any decent business man can run a good football club on that income which is why all the mickey mouse clubs in this league can survive ..... but we cant ??????

But well done for spotting

i would never ever suggest that anyone owning a business would sneak out a bit of printer ink - or petrol for the Bentley or a 100 k for some onions
I wonder why people are rude to you....

anyone else having problems with this ?

Your accusation towards RM, is that he takes 350-400 pa out of SUFC to fund his lifestyle?

It is absolutely true that one RM company acts as landlord to another (SUFC) and charges rent accordingly. Perfectly legitimate.

That 'rent' is a cost to the club, but it has not been paid - i.e. the money has not the left the club bank account. As such a debt has accrued in the accounts of the landlord (can't remember which RM entity owns RH) i.e this money remains with the club.

That debt appears to be the reason for these charges being put against SUFC (and is further evidence that no money left the club).

RM always said this debt would be written off once the club was in the new stadium. I think he's levied these charges against the club to try and recoup some of his loss (on the basis he could actually have legitimately taken the money out if we were a profit making company (lol)) from any buyer, as I think londonblue mentions above.

The opportunity cost in renting land the size of the RH to football club that never pays you is quite something, and not smart business IMO. But then nothing in football seems to be smart business. I don't think anyone can accuse RM of profiting out of SUFC, no matter what we think of him.

I actually thought it was a positive step to see these charges as it points to ducks being placed in a row in the course of negotiations.

Last edited:
No, it's not. It's simply not true that Ron has ever taken money out of the club. His issue has always been poor financial management and an inability to fund it sufficiently.
Im inclined to agree but you cant hand on heart categorically 100% prove he hasnt. Can you?

Anyway im not splitting hairs about it. Or getting embroiled in any disputes, My point is nobody knows the 100% truth of it all not even tom id imagine. So stop arguing everyone. 🙃

Last edited:
No, it's not. It's simply not true that Ron has ever taken money out of the club.

Blimey ... FACT !! he never paid for parking his car outside RH ...

personally I dont have access to his bank accounts so will take your word on this.

You do hear awful rumours about the Eastwood deal being greased with a cash deposit into the back of a car BUT you always get rubbish like that going around and if you say he took out not one penny I have no option but to trust your word and detailed knowledge of all bank his transactions ..

?? - wtf would you quote the mastermind of our decline as if anything he says is useful ??

Haha, tbh I'm not alleging it's a useful comment, but it is something he has previously said.. I imagine there were all sorts of caveats to his comments (i.e that he would still be owner..) but I believe they have been oft repeated by him so I think it's reasonable to include in that post.

I hope nothing I'm saying above comes across in a way that defends RM. I hate what he has done to our club, I despise that so many good people who work for our club are going without pay and wish that his actions were not causing friction amongst the supporters (and I always recognise that only comes from all of us being so passionate in support of our club).

I have met RM on many occasions (always SUFC related), but I have never (and will never) done business with him beyond paying to watching SUFC. My views are based from my own business experiences, and I hope useful in putting things across from the POV of someone who has run interconnected businesses previously. I am not an accountant, as will be clear to anyone who is.

I don't think it's as black and white as people want it to be. He obviously should have seen the writing on the wall long ago and sold the club/ a stake in the associated developments at that point, but he didn't, and we are where we are. He clearly needs/ wants to sell now without putting a penny more in, though I suspect he might have to in order to protect his 'asset' just a little longer.

Im inclined to agree but you cant hand on heart categorically 100% prove he hasnt. Can you?

Anyway im not splitting hairs about it. Or getting embroiled in any disputes, My point is nobody knows the 100% truth of it all not even tom id imagine. So stop arguing everyone. 🙃
Yes. Show me where he's taken money out?

Blimey ... FACT !! he never paid for parking his car outside RH ...

personally I dont have access to his bank accounts so will take your word on this.

You do hear awful rumours about the Eastwood deal being greased with a cash deposit into the back of a car BUT you always get rubbish like that going around and if you say he took out not one penny I have no option but to trust your word and detailed knowledge of all bank his transactions ..
Sometimes there are things called facts. These can be backed up with evidence. This is something that numerous people on here have done.

Its your choice whether you listen or just continue with the "la la la, i know better" attitude, but you really don't do yourself any favours.

sure - possibly very true ... maybe RM never took a penny out ... maybe he did .. there was enough money swilling about for him to do loads .. even on players sales ... we dont know - we never will ,

... it is very true that he did not ask the accountant put MONEY FOR RON in the accounts ..
:ROFL:

No, it's not. It's simply not true that Ron has ever taken money out of the club. His issue has always been poor financial management and an inability to fund it sufficiently.
I'm going to jump in here and inject some grey into the argument between black and white that I've read so far!

I'll preface it by saying that I don't think Ron Martin is a Karl Oyston.

I'm also not convinced that he hasn't used the club's bank account for the occasional personal use.

Legally OK. He'll just say it's his money. As in money he's loaned from elsewhere and then loaned to the club for working capital. Although the money in the club's bank account will be a split of money he's injected and revenue that the club has made and I'm not sure how easy it would be to separate the two once they're in there together.

Morally dubious though when your staff have gone several months unpaid.

Ultimately though he's not exactly an Oyston, who didn't put money into Blackpool but who was systematically extracting money that the club had made out of its bank account, consistently, for years and knew it.

Last edited:
I'm going to jump in here and inject some grey into the argument between black and white that I've read so far!

I'll preface it by saying that I don't think Ron Martin is a Karl Oyston.

I'm also not convinced that he hasn't used the club's bank account for the occasional personal use.

Legally OK. He'll just say it's his money. As in money he's loaned from elsewhere and then loaned to the club for working capital. Although the money in the club's bank account will be a split of money he's injected and revenue that the club has made and I'm not sure how easy it would be to separate the two once they're in there together.

Morally dubious though when your staff have gone several months unpaid.

Ultimately though he's not exactly an Oyston didn't put money into the club but who was systematically extracting money that the club had made out of its bank account, consistently, for years and knew it.
But the accusation is he takes £350,000-£400,000 p.a. out of the club.

There is no grey. That is hogwash.

in 2019 the club turned over 7 million pounds ... (companies house)

that is 7 million quid came into the club - for sure that is considerably reduced now but it still a considerable revenue stream - maybe even halved

but money comes in all the time

season tickets
matchday tickets
away tickets
parking
advertising
sponsorship
match day income food and bars
hospitality
tv money

a decent set of management accounts and off you go ..
There’s an old saying.

Revenue is Vanity, Profit is Sanity and Cash is King – Alan Miltz.

Last edited:
I'm no accountant but looking at the 2019 accounts £2.2 million was listed as administrative charges. I suppose its for accountancy/ legal fees etc. Or could it be something else?

But the accusation is he takes £350,000-£400,000 p.a. out of the club.

There is no grey. That is hogwash.
Yeah, I don't believe he does that. Those values are similar to what the management and rent charges are valued at but we can be pretty sure that those are never paid to him by the club.

I don't believe this absolute statement to be true either, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back