• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have forgot the new owner option. Which is clearly the best option.

Fans owning the whole RH site, paying off debts, funding the running of SUFC and redeveloping RH is a complete wild fantasy.

As for a CPO to cover all that....It will never happen. SBC couldn't suddenly withdraw PP for 500 houses on RH. They would have to pay far more than Ron has currently priced it at. Even if they did it would be a long process in the courts and more delays for us fans.

Ron could easily prove there is an alternative 1mile away at FF. No council will fund that legal battle

Yes it was great to be back at RH on Saturday, with all our personnel and group memories. But people claiming we can rebuild it on the cheap are lying to you. It would cost far more than anyone has suggested on here.

Great if you want to drink wobbly pint in a breeze block concourse with a 9inch shelf to put your fosters on and fluorescent lighting for ambience. But if you want decent lounge with good food options like Chesterfield or Shrewsbury. it would cost money and it would cost more at RH.

Me personally I'm not bothered about chasing the Championship dream but for this of you who fancy running a football club you will need stadium that can make money 52 weeks a year and on several days a week. Wherever it is it can't be done on the cheap.

Finding 2400 who want to lose £5,000 a year.......Good luck with that, I certainly won't be one of them.

The good news is....I'm told recent offer was made and not along way off. If the new people trump that we may well be in business.
Problem with a lot of fans attitudes though is that they expect a new owner to lose many hudreds of thousands each year and get abused into the bargain , when the reality is at this level what works is a much stronger community involvement to reduce running costs.

As i understand the publically stated monthly cost of running SUFC is 125,000 a month - but lets say 200k - i.e. 2.4 million per annum ...

The club turned over 3.9 million last 2022 - that means that 3.9 million quid came into SUFC bank accounts ..

People run NL league clubs on a 1.5 million turnover

Its a business - it brings in money through multiple source -

:: season ticket
:: match day ticket sales
:: sponsorship/hospitality
:: advertising
:: match day booze
:: burgers
:: burgers with onions
:: tv rights
:: player sales -

Not being rude but most people can see there is a viable business underneath the RM bull ...

The problem with fan owned clubs is going for growth ...

getting in a high level investment - thats why a shareholder model works well so that if someone wants to buy the club (like Eisner at Pompey) the fans can sell if they think its the right thing ..

Sorry, but you’re wrong. IMO the same as you may think I’m wrong. BUT, your structure you’ve quoted would see us in a bigger hole and than we are in 12 months.

Not rocket science is it.

Totally achievable.
I’ve been saying this for years. I’d be astounded if the club haven’t explored this in the past what with the size of that car park. Could it be alcoholic licensing costs or something like that? I’m guessing someone on here would be able to ballpark costs involved in setting something like that up.

I’ve been saying this for years. I’d be astounded if the club haven’t explored this in the past what with the size of that car park. Could it be alcoholic licensing costs or something like that? I’m guessing someone on here would be able to ballpark costs involved in setting something like that up.
6k would be the cost to bring all the bars and any car park bars under one licence.

I feel like we are being softened up for that thing Martin still being in the background, It would be nice if instead he decided to do something with the rest of his life like volunteer to help refugees on an asylum barge in the Thames ? being such a generous soul

If he stays in any capacity I would feel sick.

Ehm - Forgotten Covid - not a lot of tickets sold …..
True. It also means that the two sets of accounts 31/7/20 & 31/7/21 are distorted and not typical of a 'normal' season. In those circumstances you would expect a loss as running costs still remain but with much lower revenue.

Yes but i cant see it happening atm with us as there would be people moaning everywhere.. "Why have i lost my carpark space" and TBF they have already paid for it this season. It would have to be done at the begining of a season before they issued parking spaces.

Of course people will moan anyway and it would have to be financially viable for the club.
The space at the top of the car park where all that crap associated with the domes was would be perfect.

I feel like we are being softened up for that thing Martin still being in the background, It would be nice if instead he decided to do something with the rest of his life like volunteer to help refugees on an asylum barge in the Thames ? being such a generous soul

If he stays in any capacity I would feel sick.
it was his plan from the very beginning, why did Scunthorpe, Oldham and York get sold in a matter of weeks but 5 months down the line we are nowhere in terms of a sale?.

Its quite simple, he is a greedy **** who never really wanted to sell and devised this plan from day one which is the only thing he is good at (being slippery and trying to fool those around him).

I ran the numbers to do this at The Kursaal and it didn't work given the size of the rent and rates. It is easy on Roots Hall car park. You would need to apply for one of the new alcohol licenses, but given the stadium already has one it should not be difficult. The problem as with all these things is that it is so far out of the current owners comfort zone.

There is no reason this should not form part of someones business plan when purchasing.

it was his plan from the very beginning, why did Scunthorpe, Oldham and York get sold in a matter of weeks but 5 months down the line we are nowhere in terms of a sale?.

Its quite simple, he is a greedy **** who never really wanted to sell and devised this plan from day one which is the only thing he is good at (being slippery and trying to fool those around him).
The difference is, and like Blackpool, they were in different situations to us. York and Blackpool have modern stadiums that generate money on a non-matchday, sellable. Oldham have a brand new stand that houses modern hospitality which generates money, sellable. Scunthorpe have a much more up-to-date stadium than ours and again, can host much better hospitality, thus is much more attractive to a potential buyer, sellable.

This constant comparison to other clubs isn't going to help us, as much as we would like it to. Every single transaction is different. It's been said many times, aside from our amazing, loyal fan base, what is attractive about buying Southend United at the moment? Especially if FF is off the table.

We need to get it out of our heads that because other clubs have been bought, it automatically means we should. Our situation is totally different to almost all of them. I know the retort will be it's because of Ron, which is somewhat true. However, I say again, what is attractive about buying us at the moment? We play in a tin/wooden can that is falling to bits and hemorrhaging money. It requires almost £10m for the sale and a further estimated £10m to redevelop it. None of the other clubs listed above needed that level of investment. That's why their deals were concluded in a quicker manner.

I personally wouldn't be happy with a situation where the fans own the club. As been stated on here, it doesn't take an accountant to see that we operate at a loss. Fans' money would quickly disappear and losses would have to be covered. Using MB's example, 10 fan owners owning the club would have to stump up 12.5K each per month to cover the losses, or 100 fan owners would have to pay 1.25K, which is 15K per year, each. Of course, you could get a loan to see things through, but that would only be a short term solution before the club spirals into debt and eventually we have to go bankrupt.

The club is simply not postured to make a profit in the NL, the overheads are not outweighing the primary income stream, which is bums on seats. Bums will return to seats as the club moves up the leagues.

My overwhelming preference is to get new owners in who can finance the club through the next couple of years and invest money on players capable of getting us out of NL and continue to do so until the club starts to return a profit, which I think can realistically happen even from League Two level, if we hit the ground running in that division.
I'd be very hesitant about moving to fan ownership at the moment, and you set out many of the reasons why.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand though, for the longer term. Exeter City has been fan owned for about 20 years now and they make it work. Different circumstances though.

You would then own something which would have minimal income for 10 years
You would have no income on it, that was not my suggestion and anyone who thinks you would get income from investing in the club is mistaken in the first place. You may break even.

What i am suggesting is that if fans are willing to give £5k to purchase the club, would they consider a 10 year season ticket instead. Your return is a season ticket for 10 years plus as it does not countdown until we get to league 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back