• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hard to imagine a wholly fan owned model but the people on here dismissing it as laughable and the most ludicrous idea posted haven’t been reading all the other posts and rumours. If the Trust, Anna Firth and council think it’s worth exploring it will be interesting to hear where it goes before dismissing it out of hand.
Absolutely, I am pleased that other options are being looked at, who knows whether or not they prove to be possible or viable but well done to the Trust and Anna. Years have been wasted waiting for Ron to decide the Club's future, let's at least consider alternatives if we can.

Sorry, but you’re wrong. IMO the same as you may think I’m wrong. BUT, your structure you’ve quoted would see us in a bigger hole and than we are in 12 months.

anyone with a little bit of business know how could run a competitive EFL club with the supporter base that SUFC has ..

Absolutely, I am pleased that other options are being looked at, who knows whether or not they prove to be possible or viable but well done to the Trust and Anna. Years have been wasted waiting for Ron to decide the Club's future, let's at least consider alternatives if we can.
Exactly what I said last week - at this stage no idea is a bad idea. There will be lots of possibilities, each with pros and cons - if they are shut down before they are explored properly, there is no way of knowing if there are any feasibility to any of them. At this juncture, wild and wacky ideas are actually helpful even if completely impractical. There may be a nugget or streak of something that will become the gemstone.

You would be surprised interest in football as gone up over the years especially after Covid with Ron gone and us at the right end of the table we could easily get 8000 9000 at home every week.
Couldn't agree more. I fear Ron's ownership has damaged our perception of what we are capable of. I always thought of Stockport County as a tin-pot 2500 gate club........yet they pulled in 9000 last Saturday. Take a look at the 12 League 1 fixtures last Saturday:

- no gates below 5000
- 8 attendances above 10,000
- 4 attendances above 18,000

Football is leaving us behind. We're still stuck in Ron's narrative.

With all due respect, what events are going to be held in Scunthorpe new stadium or not the place is a ****hole in the middle of nowhere.

We're a club with an average 6000 in the national league which could easily be 10,000, close to London in a city that's growing in a big big way in terms of size/infrastructure etc.

The problem is, and has always been the 🐀 who's left our stadium to rot, and if we're not careful will kill our club so yes I'm going to compare other recent sales of English clubs.

This is all down to the 🐀 and not this nonsense that he's driving as per.
I never claimed that events were help at Scunthorpe, simply that they were easier to buy than us because their stadium and hospitality is nowhere near as bad as ours. That is a fact.

No one is arguing that Ron has let the club and stadium rot on his watch but it doesn't change the fact that our club isn't an easy sell at present. A buyer has to really analyse what they are getting for their money.

I did allude to our amazing fan base but that isn't going to be enough to entice a buyer to part with a hell of a lot of money without an obvious return. Thus far, I can't see where that obvious return comes from.

Let's hope potential buyers can see that and it happens soon 🤞.

by the way if fans owned shares in the club and a sheik or a beckham or media group or a lottery winner wanted to buy the club they could ..

all they would have to do is make an offer for the fans shares that is attractive ... so the fans would make profit on their investement ...

If the share offer was to be open to all and any fans where ever in the world they are - we get loads of visitors from the nordics - it would go well in the US ..

i bet Harry Kane would buy a few

Last edited:
why would you have costs at that level ?

............... unless you had someone in charge who .. blah blah
Those are the costs associated with running a football club. To challenge as a team you're looking at a £1.75m wage bill

Then you're looking at £2m a year min to run the stadium

Add another £1m for other associated costs and sudddnly, you're at £4.75m

When it comes to finances, I can’t help but have a fairly simplistic view, how do many clubs with much less attendances, season ticket sales and overall income, cope and at times overachieve in the Football League, while we’re bogged down with it all. By this, I mean the likes of Crewe, Accrington, Morecambe, Wycombe, Sutton United etc.

Last edited:
Those are the costs associated with running a football club. To challenge as a team you're looking at a £1.75m wage bill

Then you're looking at £2m a year min to run the stadium

Add another £1m for other associated costs and sudddnly, you're at £4.75m
That wage bill is an average of £1600 a week based on 20 first team players

That is nuts for the national league!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back