• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for clarity, you are aware, well I hope everyone is aware the asking price is not actually price and is just the bare minimum someone needs?
Yeah. I meant the price as in the price at which RM might just stop ****ing around and engage in a potential sale process.

From my understanding that group have stepped back....But who knows they may be reconsidering and don't want to appear to keen.
You were confident yesterday that a deal would be done this week. Is that still the case or has something changed / you have more info to make you less confident?

You have forgot the new owner option. Which is clearly the best option.

Fans owning the whole RH site, paying off debts, funding the running of SUFC and redeveloping RH is a complete wild fantasy.

As for a CPO to cover all that....It will never happen. SBC couldn't suddenly withdraw PP for 500 houses on RH. They would have to pay far more than Ron has currently priced it at. Even if they did it would be a long process in the courts and more delays for us fans.

Ron could easily prove there is an alternative 1mile away at FF. No council will fund that legal battle

Yes it was great to be back at RH on Saturday, with all our personnel and group memories. But people claiming we can rebuild it on the cheap are lying to you. It would cost far more than anyone has suggested on here.

Great if you want to drink wobbly pint in a breeze block concourse with a 9inch shelf to put your fosters on and fluorescent lighting for ambience. But if you want decent lounge with good food options like Chesterfield or Shrewsbury. it would cost money and it would cost more at RH.

Me personally I'm not bothered about chasing the Championship dream but for this of you who fancy running a football club you will need stadium that can make money 52 weeks a year and on several days a week. Wherever it is it can't be done on the cheap.

Finding 2400 who want to lose £5,000 a year.......Good luck with that, I certainly won't be one of them.

The good news is....I'm told recent offer was made and not along way off. If the new people trump that we may well be in business.
Is that the Aussies or the Consortium of 5/7/9 however many it is this week or a new hat into the ring.

Genuine question -

Let's say Ron stays at the helm but raises enough money to fund the season without personally getting involved (yeah, yeah, I know, but humour me please).

So there's no more missed salaries, payments or tax bills, embargos, anything. No external noise. We can just concentrate on watching the footie.

Are we ok with that?
No-one should be okay with that man staying

Just a reminder that whoever buys us (or takes control) will be looking at the deal as an investment. I don't believe there are any likely buyers who are fans looking primarily to make Southend super successful as a club or as a team.

The only way I can see they get a return on this investment is to get us out of Roots Hall and into another ground, thus enabling the RH site to be developed/sold for millions more than the £10million or so they will need to invest.

I guess they could fill in the gaps around the stadium with residential properties but I'm not sure that this would give a good enough return for them.

The one thing I don't see an investor doing is spending a lot of money on the RH stadium, and letting us carry on playing there in the long-term. Even if that allowed the generation of decent revenue streams, they wouldn't give the investors anywhere near enough of a return on their investment to make sense.

Most likely outcome in my opinion is that we end up moving to a Scunthorpe/Col U-style stadium, built to a cheap lego design (perhaps assisted/part-funded with help of the council) where we are left to our own devices to manage our future by balancing our finances sensibly. Possibly then as a fans-owned club with the investors taking their money and running.

Is that the Aussies or the Consortium of 5/7/9 however many it is this week or a new hat into the ring.
Think we're all fed up with these sort of rumours and would just like to know something concrete now . If an offer is being put to bed by the two sides' lawyers can't some sort of proper statement be made ?

Let's face it, in only 10 working days time, Martin could be back in Court and if the judge doesn't like what he hears, the club could be wound up.

I think Southend United has a lot going for it, actually. Good fan base, a traditional place in the community, decent catchment area and a strong brand.

What has undermined it in recent years has been a complex medley of things . Let's say for argument's sake a combination of :

• poor recruitment
  • absence of strategic thinking or planning
  • lack of investment
  • alienation of partners and fans
  • opaque and dubious financial management
  • poor communication

Most of which stems from one source. As long as that source is still involved, I think it is hard to move on or plan for the future with absolute confidence. My view - as an outsider - is that RM forfeited the right to any trust a long time ago, and with it the credibility he would need to be part of your future. Of course, it is far easier for me to look at it dispassionately, as I'm not emotionally involved. But I think a certain amount of hard-headedness is pretty important.

Just a reminder that whoever buys us (or takes control) will be looking at the deal as an investment. I don't believe there are any likely buyers who are fans looking primarily to make Southend super successful as a club or as a team.

The only way I can see they get a return on this investment is to get us out of Roots Hall and into another ground, thus enabling the RH site to be developed/sold for millions more than the £10million or so they will need to invest.

I guess they could fill in the gaps around the stadium with residential properties but I'm not sure that this would give a good enough return for them.

The one thing I don't see an investor doing is spending a lot of money on the RH stadium, and letting us carry on playing there in the long-term. Even if that allowed the generation of decent revenue streams, they wouldn't give the investors anywhere near enough of a return on their investment to make sense.

Most likely outcome in my opinion is that we end up moving to a Scunthorpe/Col U-style stadium, built to a cheap lego design (perhaps assisted/part-funded with help of the council) where we are left to our own devices to manage our future by balancing our finances sensibly. Possibly then as a fans-owned club with the investors taking their money and running.
After helping with the clean up looking behind the scenes rooots hall would need a massive amount of cash to bring it back to a good standard all due to Ron’s many years of neglect

From my understanding that group have stepped back....But who knows they may be reconsidering and don't want to appear to keen.
Strikes me Ron has set a price and will sit back and wait for someone to meet it (as in your house selling analogy). The way he works. If the other group have put in a lower offer and are sitting back waiting for a response then their respective approaches will be optimised to ensure no progress..which may suit Ron very well as he talks to another buyer..

Where do we train?

How do we pay debts?

How do we fund the club?

How do we sign players?

Where do we pay for the upkeep of roots hall?

Clear Winding Up Orders?

As i understand the publically stated monthly cost of running SUFC is 125,000 a month - but lets say 200k - i.e. 2.4 million per annum ...

The club turned over 3.9 million last 2022 - that means that 3.9 million quid came into SUFC bank accounts ..

People run NL league clubs on a 1.5 million turnover

Its a business - it brings in money through multiple source -

:: season ticket
:: match day ticket sales
:: sponsorship/hospitality
:: advertising
:: match day booze
:: burgers
:: burgers with onions
:: tv rights
:: player sales -

Not being rude but most people can see there is a viable business underneath the RM bull ...

The problem with fan owned clubs is going for growth ...

getting in a high level investment - thats why a shareholder model works well so that if someone wants to buy the club (like Eisner at Pompey) the fans can sell if they think its the right thing ..

Genuine question -

Let's say Ron stays at the helm but raises enough money to fund the season without personally getting involved (yeah, yeah, I know, but humour me please).

So there's no more missed salaries, payments or tax bills, embargos, anything. No external noise. We can just concentrate on watching the footie.

Are we ok with that?
Personally no, he has to go.

I think any faith in him (if there ever was any) as an owner has completely gone. There is zero credibility.

It's not just the outstanding payments to creditors but the ignorance to allow the stadium to fall to pieces as it has. He has absolutely no respect for his staff, the players or the fans.

He has stepped back anyway. We not only want someone who pays the bills, but has an interest in the present and future of the club, not just his golden housing project.

The staff, supporters and players deserve better.

I was invited in to one of the new lounges at Stockport v Gills last Saturday, which I am told is a converted store room but following their investment from new ownership a few years back, it was great to see what the club are doing behind the scenes to significantly improve the match day experience. They have created a new fan zone in the car park behind the large Cheadle End with a large canopy tent roof, which serves street food and locally brewed beer etc. The lounge I was in was excellent. Fit out top notch with the food and service equally as good. Amazing what a new owner can achieve……

Attachments

• FE182DB9-AD7B-4EC9-9E96-54DB30EC954C.jpeg
    FE182DB9-AD7B-4EC9-9E96-54DB30EC954C.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1523.jpeg
    IMG_1523.jpeg
    862.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1524.jpeg
    IMG_1524.jpeg