• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, where did the Steve Nash rumour / connection come from?

Is there any substance to him being in the frame?

Regardless of what TL said am sure he’s only able to divulge what he’s allowed to.

Just hope whatever happens happens soon so we can start player recruitment for next season quickly. Also to ensure the likes of Cav, Bridge and GSM stay.
Would be surprised if TL would divulge anything, its as easy to say one from London and one local interested as it is that Nash may be interested. Fact is that these are simply rumours and that’s it. No way TL would or able to tell supporters anything due to NDA. As much as the Nash interest is a rumour, in Lincoln Shrimp we have someone who has strong links to someone in that camp Or close to it. He has been sharing info the past few weeks regarding this and knowing him personally I have no reason to doubt what he is posting. Time will tell

I spoke to TL briefly before the game, he was making a rare walk to The West stand early on. I asked him about any interest in buying the club and he said he only knew of two groups, one from London and one local one.

I mentioned the name Steve Nash to him, he said that was the first he had heard of him although i don't for one minute think that is true and by the look on his face he didn't either, but of course he cannot divulge anything.

There were a couple of rumours i heard yesterday from people , one who works for the club that Nash was in the directors box yesterday. How true is that is anybodies guess but it would be nice if it was,
I’m sorry, you think Steve nash could have been at the football yesterday?

The fact nobody is denying the Nash links is good enough for me….
I've said before, but I've heard more than enough to be convinced that he and his group are interested and have probably made that official. That's all it is for now, as far as I'm aware, so I'm not going to get too excited just yet. All expressions of interest are with GSW and Jez Moxey, even the approaches that came via the club first. People are mentioning 3 or 4 interested parties - whether that's 3 or 4 total, or 3 or 4 who have been deemed 'serious' after an initial screening by GSW, I'm not sure.

Either way, Nash is just one of those 3 or 4. I'm ultimately happy whoever takes over, as long as they can fund the club properly and give as a clean slate and a fresh start without the issues. I am excited by the possibility of Nash though because of the the wealth. connections and sports expertise that's likely to come as part of his group.

As some have said, I'd expect discussions with all interested parties, including Nash, to pick up over the coming weeks now that the season is over, we have certainty regarding the division we'll be in next season, and minds can maybe be focused on this now.

A big sticking point for me is the accounts. I can't imagine things can progress until the missing accounts are audited and submitted. I'm not convinced that the fact he is yet to do so is *just* down to him being unable/unwilling to pay auditors fees, but either way he needs to get it done ASAP. It gives confidence to the agent, to the interested parties, and also would prove to me that he is serious about wanting sell and is open to getting it done before the **** hits the fan.

Last edited:
As we know, Ron is selling "an opportunity". As we also know, the club owns very, very little. So what actually is up for sale?

In many companies, not that many years ago, goodwill was a huge benchmark of a companies worth, until it became obvious that goodwill actually meant very little. Except maybe for football clubs, where it is a huge asset. We have a solid hard-core fan base of 4-5000, with the potential to increase that to 6-7000. These are fans who will attend regardless of what division we are in. In monetary terms, assuming an average ticket price of, say, £15, a regular 5000 paying customers will provide £1.75m per season in ticket revenue. That will be bolstered by away fans, cup runs (Ha! Fat chance!) and attendances over 5000. All in all, it would probably be safe to budget for £2m ticket sales income per season.

On top of that, there is TV money, sponsorship, transfer fees, prize money (HA!), merchandise sales, matchday bar/food income and any other income the club or stadium can generate.

I don't know what these figures actually are, but added together it will equate to the income the club can expect to receive. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that it all comes to £3m.

That's what's being sold. An opportunity to take over an established club with a £3m seasonal income stream.

Any buyer will then have to see what profit they can make out of that.

Don't worry too much about the debt; it will either be paid off or written off before any owners take it on. They will get it "clean", I'm sure.

Don't worry too much about the stadium either; there are many businesses that don't own their own premises. At the moment as I understand it we are paying about £250k per year in maintenance costs so we can get a safety certificate for RH anyway. The rent I would imagine would be in the region of £400k so it's not a million miles away.

When you look at it like this, we are actually a fairly attractive proposition; a club on it's knees, punching well below where it should be, yet still with a solid fan base and the opportunity to play in a brand new stadium.

Wrexham didn't have that, but look at the interest in them now. That's down to their high profile owners and a huge amount of cash investment that they must be confident will generate a return to make it worthwhile doing. Their owners paid under £3m for Wrexham which now, frankly, looks like a steal. They have purchased their own stadium back and it wouldn't surprise me if, within 10 years, they have built another one and sold off the old one for development. Ker-ching.

Makes it sound so easy, doesn't it?
The average ticket price will be a fair bit lower than £15 - even my adult season ticket works out cheaper than that!

I suspect under half of our crowd are actually paying adult prices. These aren’t only kids but also senior citizens (which is for some reason only 60), young adults (up to 23), emergency workers, disabled people, students, complementary tickets etc.

It will hopefully be enough to pay the staff. My understanding is that it isn't from the sale of any land, but is part if the finance deal for the stadium.
Understood. We might both be right. Either way, the club won't have any claim to that money. It'll go to RM and group companies and we'd be relying on his benevolence to put some into the club.

Given how rueful he is about how much he feels he's put in so far and feeling that he won't get it back, I can't see him putting much if any of it into the club. I genuinely think he's done with funding it now.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I thought we learned that the bridging loan was in the end nowhere near £5m, perhaps half of that as it didnt meet all of the promises made, about HMRC being paid in full, the embargo lifted, all players and staff paid etc and money left over to see us through to next season and meet contingencies on here we still owe HMRC more money

Without doubt, even if the loan was much cheaper, we still have the interest to pay out

However Im not clear where the £200, 000 monthly loss figure actually comes from ? Hard for anyone to explain given Rons smoke and mirrors

For example is the £200k a fantasy figure, is it formally included in the accounts? if we were to ever produce them. In producing them does the £200k mystical sum lost relate in any way to the equally bizarre Rons £400k rent charge, in the accounts?
It definitely wasn't £5m in the end. I'm not even sure it was a bridging loan. I think they might have sold some land in the Midlands and used some of that money to pay some of the HMRC debt and boost the club's bank account.

This is 100% right, other grounds have moved forward and maximise match day revenue- Food, Bar and club shop sales - with the poor offering of all 3 of these at RH - we are losing millions every season. I would suggest that most fans would prefer to spend money in Railway/ Spread / Blue Boar, Fish House, etc. Just making some investment in these areas alone and it could pay for the upkeep of the ground until FF.
It sounds easy doesn't it. Any improvement to the existing facilities would take a significant investment of time and money. Possibly planning permission as well. Money is something the club doesn't have, and probably not willing to spend especially if the club moves to ff in a few years. After a significant investment what would tge return really be worth it for a short period?

A warning for those who want to exploit the full potential of our club by seeking American owners.........careful what you wish for!😉 My local club (90kms!), Toulouse F C, won the French Cup Final last night against Nantes. IIUC, this would normally qualify them to play in Europe but due to their American owners running other European clubs (one of the Milan sides), they may well be illegible. Just saying.....🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-30-10-21-53-789_com.android.deskclock.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-30-10-21-53-789_com.android.deskclock.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 36
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back