• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spending next seasons ticket money now on historic debt means an absolute certainty that we will have dreadful cash flow issues again over the next 12 months. Of the solutions you offer the season ticket money will have gone, we have no players worth a decent transfer fee, there is no Sainsbury’s on the horizon, no money down the back of the sofa and no war chest which leaves one possible salvation.
Yes your right, an investor is needed. Which leads back to what are they buying. They will need at least 6 million to sustain the club for the next 3 years, and that's to just keep us at the level now. No extra revenue stream would be available as Ron owns roots Hall. The new ground is 3 years away at minimum, if it ever gets built. Ron will have to offer the new stadium as a carrot to get an investor in. Hopefully the hall can hold out that long!

Spending next seasons ticket money now on historic debt means an absolute certainty that we will have dreadful cash flow issues again over the next 12 months. Of the solutions you offer the season ticket money will have gone, we have no players worth a decent transfer fee, there is no Sainsbury’s on the horizon, no money down the back of the sofa and no war chest which leaves one possible salvation.
I think it's also important to remember that, once the team can use the new training facilities, some money is supposed to be released.

Hopefully that will happen soon.

I think it's also important to remember that, once the team can use the new training facilities, some money is supposed to be released.

Hopefully that will happen soon.
I'm now not sure how relevant that is anymore.

The release of that money would be from Ron Martin's group companies selling the land on which B&L sits to the developers of the Fossetts project. At one stage, he was going to use some of that money to recapitalise and run the club.

Now that he no longer appears to want to fund the club, I imagine he will be wanting to sell the club before the stage at which he sells that land (which is likely to be just before construction begins, so possibly not until late summer/early autumn) so that he and his family can keep that money and not fritter it away on the club.

I get the impression he's rueful about how much money he's put in and genuinely doesn't want to anymore.

Last edited:

The release of that money would be from Ron Martin's group companies selling the land on which B&L sits to the developers of the Fossetts project. At one stage, he was going to use some of that money to recapitalise and run the club.

Now that he no longer appears to want to fund the club, I imagine he will be wanting to sell the club before the stage at which he sells that land (which is likely to be just before construction begins, so possibly not until late summer/early autumn) so that he and his family can keep that money and not fritter it away on the club.

I get the impression he's rueful about how much money he's put in and genuinely doesn't want to anymore.
It will hopefully be enough to pay the staff. My understanding is that it isn't from the sale of any land, but is part if the finance deal for the stadium.

RH will be packed today. Just shows the potential the club has, it just needs to be realised by someone with the money and passion to match the fans dreams. We need to somehow video/film/record todays atmosphere and bottle it up and put it out there for all to see

blimey .... you still believe in all that stuff ....

I reckon penniless RM has been feeding his family and lifestyle off SUFC for years - and spinning up the FF tale to mug off the supporters

nice drawings though

Now we know what league we will be in next season I wonder if that might expedite things, I can imagine whilst we had the possibility of being in league 2 it may have impacted the valuation a little
I believe there's some truth in that and Ron didn't want to be definitive with his price until the end of the season. Talks are ongoing between Nash/his representatives and GSW (General Sports Worldwide) and there are more scheduled meetings planned in the days/weeks ahead.

Last edited:
So we had a £5m bridging loan and we lose £200k a month. We should be ok for the next 2 years then. Where did the rest of the money go if we havent paid the staff? That £5m has run out pretty quickly after paying the tax man.
When is the next bill due?

As we know, Ron is selling "an opportunity". As we also know, the club owns very, very little. So what actually is up for sale?

In many companies, not that many years ago, goodwill was a huge benchmark of a companies worth, until it became obvious that goodwill actually meant very little. Except maybe for football clubs, where it is a huge asset. We have a solid hard-core fan base of 4-5000, with the potential to increase that to 6-7000. These are fans who will attend regardless of what division we are in. In monetary terms, assuming an average ticket price of, say, £15, a regular 5000 paying customers will provide £1.75m per season in ticket revenue. That will be bolstered by away fans, cup runs (Ha! Fat chance!) and attendances over 5000. All in all, it would probably be safe to budget for £2m ticket sales income per season.

On top of that, there is TV money, sponsorship, transfer fees, prize money (HA!), merchandise sales, matchday bar/food income and any other income the club or stadium can generate.

I don't know what these figures actually are, but added together it will equate to the income the club can expect to receive. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that it all comes to £3m.

That's what's being sold. An opportunity to take over an established club with a £3m seasonal income stream.

Any buyer will then have to see what profit they can make out of that.

Don't worry too much about the debt; it will either be paid off or written off before any owners take it on. They will get it "clean", I'm sure.

Don't worry too much about the stadium either; there are many businesses that don't own their own premises. At the moment as I understand it we are paying about £250k per year in maintenance costs so we can get a safety certificate for RH anyway. The rent I would imagine would be in the region of £400k so it's not a million miles away.

When you look at it like this, we are actually a fairly attractive proposition; a club on it's knees, punching well below where it should be, yet still with a solid fan base and the opportunity to play in a brand new stadium.

Wrexham didn't have that, but look at the interest in them now. That's down to their high profile owners and a huge amount of cash investment that they must be confident will generate a return to make it worthwhile doing. Their owners paid under £3m for Wrexham which now, frankly, looks like a steal. They have purchased their own stadium back and it wouldn't surprise me if, within 10 years, they have built another one and sold off the old one for development. Ker-ching.

Makes it sound so easy, doesn't it?
im sure thats exactly what ron thought 20 years ago. 😐

Fans turned up in the great numbers away from home and home just need a owner thst cares and bring some passion back and give Kev a little bit of helped to push us a little futher ahead finger cross with a new owners that can happens sooner rather then later so current players no where they stand 🤞

I believe there's some truth in that and Ron didn't want to be definitive with his price until the end of the season. Talks are ongoing between Nash/his representatives and GSW (General Sports Worldwide) and there are more scheduled meetings planned in the days/weeks ahead.
In addition to other interested parties, of course!

That’s very positive news mate

So we had a £5m bridging loan and we lose £200k a month. We should be ok for the next 2 years then. Where did the rest of the money go if we havent paid the staff? That £5m haaccountyss run out pretty quickly after paying the tax man.
When is the next bill due?
I may be wrong but I thought we learned that the bridging loan was in the end nowhere near £5m, perhaps half of that as it didnt meet all of the promises made, about HMRC being paid in full, the embargo lifted, all players and staff paid etc and money left over to see us through to next season and meet contingencies on here we still owe HMRC more money

Without doubt, even if the loan was much cheaper, we still have the interest to pay out

However Im not clear where the £200, 000 monthly loss figure actually comes from ? Hard for anyone to explain given Rons smoke and mirrors

For example is the £200k a fantasy figure, is it formally included in the accounts? if we were to ever produce them. In producing them does the £200k mystical sum lost relate in any way to the equally bizarre Rons £400k rent charge, in the accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back