• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How would it be good business?

1 million is not a lot of money in today's climate. Dan Bentley is a premier league/international keeper in the making and is the best chance of getting some money for the club. We don't need to sell for cheap and shouldn't.

Dan Bentley is an Essex boy and what's in Hull for him? Better of waiting for a southern based club to offer a price that better for him and us.

DB is proven at lower league level. He has been touted to be an England star in the making like so many young keepers and they tend not to fulfill their promise. DB is good, still learning and seems keen. He has the attributes and with the right coaching he has an assured future in the game at some level and probably higher than lg 1. His potential, like his value, is yet to be realised. A million squids now is by no means poor business.

Normal transfer deal,his agent will have 10/20% of any fee too,oh and don't forget Dan's signing fee.

No,the agent takes his cut from Dan's package,this assumes Dan has not asked for any move because if he has then his cut from the money will be zero but he will still obtain a big signing on fee.

Having spoken to an agent, this is what I asked, and what he answered:

Q: If a player moves club do they get a cut of the transfer fee, or do they negotiate a signing on fee, or both? Does the player pay his agent, or does the buying club?

A: Generally players don't get a part of the fee. Signing on fees vary from club to club. Generally the buying club will pay the agent.

Looks like you're wrong on all counts.

Last edited:
DB is proven at lower league level. He has been touted to be an England star in the making like so many young keepers and they tend not to fulfill their promise. DB is good, still learning and seems keen. He has the attributes and with the right coaching he has an assured future in the game at some level and probably higher than lg 1. His potential, like his value, is yet to be realised. A million squids now is by no means poor business.

Exactly !

If Dan continues his development he has a very good chance of playing at the highest peak,but that is still a long way off.

Exactly !

If Dan continues his development he has a very good chance of playing at the highest peak,but that is still a long way off.

If you are agreeing with me mrsblue I retract everything I said. i made it all up and refute the accusation that I ever believed it :duh:

I was talking to Ted Smiths dad the other day, he said no bids have ever been received by any clubs at this stage regarding Bentley, he says nobody at SUFC can believe it after the season he had, but, he did say they value him around 850k, a bit low considering the price of homegrown talent these days, I mean City paid £11 million for Roberts from Fulham & he hasn't even played a full 90 minutes yet as a pro footballer!!!

According to Chris Phillips no other bids have been made other than one made by Steve Bruce to Phil Brown and Steve Kavanagh after Saturday which was for at least 1 million. Hull have denied a bid was made which sounds very much like it wasnt made though their official channels...

According to Chris Phillips no other bids have been made other than one made by Steve Bruce to Phil Brown and Steve Kavanagh after Saturday which was for at least 1 million. Hull have denied a bid was made which sounds very much like it wasnt made though their official channels...

Bruce attends the game then offers x amount for Bents then City claim they know nothing about it !,Somebody fibbing somewhere along the line.

If I've understood the stuff I got from the Hull guys, Bruce doesn't get his finalised budget until Thursday. They are then expecting him to bid for 5 players. This may explain why the club are in denial. Of course it could also be total rubbish, but that's the risk you take getting news from message boards.

Bruce attends the game then offers x amount for Bents then City claim they know nothing about it !,Somebody fibbing somewhere along the line.

Doesn't have to be anyone lying, just the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Bruce is down here on his own and has a chat with Phil and Steve, Hull wouldnt be privy to that discussion so no official bid would have come from them directly.

Also ties up with the budget comment RHB says above and the fact they seem to be a bit of a mess all around.

If Bentley leaves take 15 points off our final points total he is that good. I was quite confident of a mid table finish but if Bentley goes we could be in a relegation battle

If Bentley leaves take 15 points off our final points total he is that good. I was quite confident of a mid table finish but if Bentley goes we could be in a relegation battle

If the stats say De Gea was worth 12 points to Man U last season I don't think Bentley would be worth 15

Doesn't have to be anyone lying, just the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Bruce is down here on his own and has a chat with Phil and Steve, Hull wouldnt be privy to that discussion so no official bid would have come from them directly.

Also ties up with the budget comment RHB says above and the fact they seem to be a bit of a mess all around.

How can Bruce make any bid then if his club are unaware?,Bruce bids whatever which Ron accepts then City refuse the deal because their board never sanctioned it.Seems a bit mad to me.

How can Bruce make any bid then if his club are unaware?,Bruce bids whatever which Ron accepts then City refuse the deal because their board never sanctioned it.Seems a bit mad to me.

By walking up to Phil and saying would you accept £1m for Bentley?

Ron wouldn't be able to accept it formally as the offer would need to be made officially through the club, which so far it hasn't as his budget hasn't been approved.

Having spoken to an agent, this is what I asked, and what he answered:

Q: If a player moves club do they get a cut of the transfer fee, or do they negotiate a signing on fee, or both? Does the player pay his agent, or does the buying club?

A: Generally players don't get a part of the fee. Signing on fees vary from club to club. Generally the buying club will pay the agent.

Looks like you're wrong on all counts.

The buying club will indeed pay the agent but in addition the agent will want his part of the players wages and fees,look at it this way if an agent has 100 players on his books and each player remained at one club during his playing career then the agent would earn nothing!

By walking up to Phil and saying would you accept £1m for Bentley?

Ron wouldn't be able to accept it formally as the offer would need to be made officially through the club, which so far it hasn't as his budget hasn't been approved.

Bruce is a vastly experienced manager,I find it laughable he would make any bid knowing his board may refuse it,just my view.

Back