• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

Boywonder, I think your assessment is correct. But the crucial thing is whether this small squad can avoid a spate of injuries in the next month or so. I seem to recall that Tilson operated with a very small squad in his first promotion season.

Kev, would prefer to operate with a smaller squad, like Tilly & Brush did, but we are talking more like a 23 man squad, like you’d take to the euros or the World Cup, not a 16 man squad.

Under Tilson, we managed to avoid serious injuries and played a settle side. Under Kev, that hasn’t happened yet. We’ve had injuries to the likes of Arnold, Hyde, Ralph, Murphy, Mooney, Cardwell and so on. We haven’t had the luck that we were afforded under Tilson. Maybe it’s not luck, maybe it is.

I’m 50 years old and I cried at the end. I was there last Sunday cleaning the away seats and brushing the terrace. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would happen today. I believe in Kev, I believe in the team but after such an awful summer for us and for them to produce such a complete performance is nothing short or remarkable.

I joked with my son this morning that i wouldn’t be surprised if we did win. Our squad is small, it’s short in numbers due to injuries and of course we need maybe 6/7 players in. But it’s tight knit. They know each other, they know what Kev expects from them. They know what to expect from each other. for that reason I always thought we might have the edge. Oldham had a number on new signings and it sometimes takes time to gel. But what I find most amazing was our fitness levels. I thought we might be in the game for 60mins but tire late on. How wrong I was. Yes it helped they went down to 10 men but we kept going and kept going and we’re so clinical in front of goal. 4 goals from open play doesn’t get better than that.

colin- safe as houses with his hands and commanded his area well. Kicking still not great and one really bad kick towards Ralph but with his hands excellent
GSM- never stopped running and offered a threat at set pieces
Bridge- ran their RB ragged, still at times over thinks but when he beats his man he is so dangerous
Taylor- what a game and deserved his mom award, never put a foot wrong all game. Met his lovely partner and baby after the game and told her to thank him for his commitment to the club, she said he loves playing for us
Ralph- such an asset when he can stay fit, better than NL but so important to us. A couple of brilliant tackles especially first half
Kensdale- the lad oozes class and absolute rock at the back. Got caught a couple of times in possession but otherwise didn’t put a foot wrong
Miley- does what Cav does. The guy is brilliant. Simple as that
Husin- didn’t look completely fit, has had an injury but did more than enough and is so smooth on the ball when in possession
Wes- thought he looked knackered around 60 mins but again worked so hard especially first half with bridge
Powell- think we need to accept he will always be a bit frustrating but worked so hard today, should have had a penalty and got that all important first goal in the game
Cardwell- keep him fit and he will score, wins plenty in the air and eventually got the goal he deserved. Works so hard for the team

mooney- rumours he wanted out, not on todays showing. More than played his part, scored a lovely goal and certainly didn’t celebrate his goal like someone who wants out. Kev also said he is a key member of the squad
Coker- got a lot of good reviews last season out on lone, can see why, didn’t look out of place and his goal was so crucial in the game and like Mooney what a strike
JD- not on long but did what he needed to. Would expect him to be deregistered if new players are found. Some saying Dackers was in the stand today but not seen it confirmed anywhere

the fans- brilliant again, never doubted to get behind the team. Next week at Daggers is going to be rocking and we know the team will respond

kev, Darren and Benno- not enough words to describe these three, incredible to get this group of players in a fit state, emotional state and game ready to produce that today. We are very lucky to have them

so all in all an incredible day and of course the sake needs to happen fir us to stand any chance this season, this group are brilliant but can’t do it all on their own, we need additions but won’t happen until that vermin has left

today was about more than just football. It was about the management, team of players and fans all coming together as one. Those of us there today should feel lucky and privileged.see you next week.

Kev, would prefer to operate with a smaller squad, like Tilly & Brush did, but we are talking more like a 23 man squad, like you’d take to the euros or the World Cup, not a 16 man squad.

Under Tilson, we managed to avoid serious injuries and played a settle side. Under Kev, that hasn’t happened yet. We’ve had injuries to the likes of Arnold, Hyde, Ralph, Murphy, Mooney, Cardwell and so on. We haven’t had the luck that we were afforded under Tilson. Maybe it’s not luck, maybe it is.
I'm sure we had better medical resources too ......

It was the same when under Dave Webb, we got promoted to the old 2nd Div for the 1st time.

Anyone know what the minute's silence was for?. If it was announced on the tannoy system in the West Stand, i didn't hear it. But what ever it was for, you could have heard a pin drop during that minute, respect to all.
It was for the scoreboard that sadly passed away during the close season. Everyone knew it was sick last season, only half the display it used to be, but it was still a shock to see it had died completely today.

RIP faithful servant

It was for the scoreboard that sadly passed away during the close season. Everyone knew it was ill last season, not half the display it used to be, but it was still a shock to see it had died completely today.

RIP faithful servant
And yet the “Frank Walton” clock glides gracefully on never missing a beat…analogue 1 digital 0

Superb stuff. Dominant from the start and actually scored in that early period for a change. Did the usual maher thing of sitting a bit deep in 2nd half when ahead but this time it fully paid off as we drew Oldham onto us and exploited the space in midfield. Looked like a 3-4-2-1 when Powell went off with Mooney and Fonguck/Coker operating in the channels behind Cards, that suited us well and I think would suit Jack Wood too so let's see more of it.

Sending off was a shocking challenge, as agreed by the Oldham lads in West Road Tap afterwards. One of those days for them, the guy who got sent off and Fondup who came on both looked like quality players and Hobson will do well for them too.

Kevin Maher you're a miracle worker.

The Notts County keeper was sent off after 15 mins so that explains that one a bit. They were 1-0 down already though!
Aidan Stone was the keeper sent off. His squad number is 26. The keeper who came on after he was sent off was Sam Slocombe (no pussy jokes required). His squad number is 1. So it doesn't sound like it was a rookie replacement.

Fabulous day today and well deserved for everyone who has fought so hard for our club’s survival over the last few months.

Not much to add to the match reports, but one odd thing that happened today, in injury time for the first half our Twitter feed, Sky, Live Score and the Oldham local newspaper all said their first half sub, ex-Col Ewe midfielder Brennan Dickenson, was booked for dissent.

In the second half, he was booked again but not sent off.

Only after that was the first half booking changed to a different player (Nathan Sheron)

On our way out of the stadium we stopped and talked to the couple of cameramen that were there at the game today. Turns out they were making a documentary about Oldham and they were from Oldham.
Be interested to see the programme

On our way out of the stadium we stopped and talked to the couple of cameramen that were there at the game today. Turns out they were making a documentary about Oldham and they were from Oldham.
Episode one ...... away day to thrash club with no players..... renamed - miserable day out and we got battered.

Ah, the person I sit next to and I were mulling over this. Had speculated that the NL had sent some camera persons to certain grounds to record further highlights at.

Back