• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

Okay. First of all let's start with the players who could have done a bit more on the pitch today..................................................right.......that's that dealt with! That is an opening day to the season I doubt anyone will forget. Every one of those guys were brilliant and as a team they looked so cohesive. Came out the blocks firing and maintained pressure until the 344th minute or whenever it was the ref eventually blew his whistle.

The ref let a lot go, to our detriment but the sending off was a no brainer - shame Ollie picked up a needless yellow but I get the impression that this squad is, understandably a VERY tight unit and protective of each other. Gus was geeing up the West stand to make some noise in the first half indicative of his commitment and gave Callum a boll*cking when his solo run should have beena lay off to one of two players on his right hand side. Naughty Callum.

The goals were all well taken and it was a delight to see players having the courage to shoot from outside the box and reap rewards. Coker really busy from the outset and deserved his goal, a classic Mooney run and finish, lovely flick in from Harry and Callum electing to shoot first time and forego the dazzling eight man dribble. We looked comfy on the ball and, yes, there were one or two heart-stopping moments but we worked hard to retrieve the position. We never let Oldham get going. Taylr was MOTM but it could have been any one of them and I wouldn't have argued.

The fact we are genuinely top of the league is the icing on the cake. Yes....it's only one game but those guys and the Holy trinity of coaches deserve this moment. COYB!!!

PS I understand that fans want to protest. I can't stick Da Doo Nothing Ron Ron as much as anybody, but if you missed today's game to have an impact on someone who wasn't even there, you did yourself a disservice and the players. They deserved the best reception they could possibly get and the volume was not as loud as it could have been. A great shame. Attendance given as 5881 but that must include non attending S/T holders surely as it was all ticket. Loads of spaces and the lower South Stand was practically empty. Ron's got your money (he's had mine since 18th April) )so..........
Every one of that team turned up today. Lat's try and make sure we ALL do next time.

What an uplifting afternoon for the fans, players and coaching staff. 100 per cent effort for 90 plus minutes usually brings it's rewards. It shows what happens if you are willing to take a shot, well done to Coker and Mooney. Maybe Fonguck and Husin can learn this lesson but that's unlikely, although they are quite skillful they are no goal threat and were part of the problem last season.
Today we saw in action three new directives for Referees.
1. They are clamping down on dissent and if a group of players surround the referee they are told to issue at least one yellow card. This has been brought in to stop the exodus of referees from the grass roots game who leave because of abuse.

2. If a player leaves the field after injury they must wait 30 seconds to come back on (Ralph)

3. Time must be added on to stop the deliberate slowing down of the game by players/teams. Should sort out Boreham Wood and others.
This resulted in 16 added minutes this afternoon.

1. They are clamping down on dissent and if a group of players surround the referee they are told to issue at least one yellow card. This has been brought in to stop the exodus of referees from the grass roots game who leave because of abuse.

2. If a player leaves the field after injury they must wait 30 seconds to come back on (Ralph)

3. Time must be added on to stop the deliberate slowing down of the game by players/teams. Should sort out Boreham Wood and others.

Have they scrapped the rule where player doesn't have to go off after treatment if the challenge resulted in a booking? Was surprised when Ralph was instructed to leave

Triumph in adversity. With such character in the side who can deny what we might achieve. A brilliant start to the new campaign and full credit to the players and the management team for imbuing such a team spirit.

It's like the 2022 World Cup all over again!

No, in all seriousness it's an IFAB directive the National League have adopted (see this EFL confirmation of such)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805-201918.png
    Screenshot_20230805-201918.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 67
Regarding Hobson - I think it really takes a good manager to understand how to utilise him well. Decent centre back pairings with strong communication, a decent midfield helping out. It took Hobby seasons to adapt with us and he couldn't perform with players like Coulson, but he went an smashed it with Kacper/Kensdale/Lomas...

I really hope he comes good with Oldham personally.

Reality check for last year's runaway leaders in the National League:

Sutton United 5 Notts County 1

Wrexham 3 MK Dons 5

It's a big gap to bridge.

Wrexham only went off the season with the idea of scoring more goals than the opposition was the way to win. Parky is such a **** manager. If you look at their team today, it was worse than most of their starting XI for majority of last season. It's a non-started without Mullin, Palmer and their other big stars.

If I was a Wrexham fan, the sooner Parky gets the sack, the better. Instead of spending endless buckets of money on big players, spend it on a decent manager & tactical set up. But then again, **** Shaun Harvey, therefore Wrexham's suffering is quite enjoyable.

Notts - MK did come down a league, so I guess that one is quite a gap. That score is surprising considering Notts were the best team tactically in the league last season.

To say that we completely owned that game would be an understatement. We dominated across the pitch, our passing game was spot on and everybody wanted to do well. It was almost like everyone, players, coaches and crowd were banishing the woes of the summer for 90 minutes. The team were terrific, the crowd was terrific and I couldn't have asked for a better belated Birthday present. I suppose I should have described our goals, but quite honestly I'm too drained to do that at the moment. Suffice to say that every goal was a peach in it's own right.

It might have just been the emotion of the moment that sparked such a good result, but if Oldham are considered to be one of the promotion favourites then we won't be too far off if we keep the squad fit.

Christ, I'm so happy even with the huge amount of extra time in both halves. Big decision now go to Daggers or watch at home.
Easy decision

What an uplifting afternoon for the fans, players and coaching staff. 100 per cent effort for 90 plus minutes usually brings it's rewards. It shows what happens if you are willing to take a shot, well done to Coker and Mooney. Maybe Fonguck and Husin can learn this lesson but that's unlikely, although they are quite skillful they are no goal threat and were part of the problem last season.

That second directive has got to be the most ludicrous law change ever. Any player injured after any type of foul has been committed on him should NEVER have to leave the field of play, let alone after a booking or a sending off offence.

Answers on a postcard please, any referee who has any explanation……????

On the day tickets were released, I had mine and my sons by midday. Since then we’ve been counting down the days and hours until we got back inside our club. Left home at 1pm today, drove down and found a place to park in Priory Park and strolled across to the ground for 1.30 as usual. As we entered through the west stand turnstiles we both felt a huge wave of relief and happiness pour over us. Grabbed my son by the shoulder and said, I didn’t think we’d be here again, let’s make the most of it. Off to the bar, pint of beer and a J2O for the lad. Sat and had a chat, discussed the team news, read the programme, took great pleasure in seeing so many people in new merchandise. Twenty mins before kickoff we headed down to V block to our seats. Our only concern was the drummer chap hadn’t arrived, but just a few mins before kick off he was there!! Phew!! 😂🤣. Thought Southend started exactly as I had imagined they would. Didn’t give Oldham a second on the ball, first to everything, Bridge and Fonguck linking up lovely on the left. The goal was only a matter of time. Really happy to see Powell get it and hoping that gives him the confidence boost he needed. After that, no doubt we took our foot off the pedal but good to make it to half time 1 up. Thought second half we were nervous and a poor pre-season really showed as legs got tired. The second goal from Coker was a beaut and settled everyone down. Pinched myself when Mooney ran at the Oldham defence and slotted a lovely curled finish into the bottom corner for number three. Absolute dreamland as Cardwell nodded home number 4!! Top of the league!! Who’d have imagined that when they woke up this morning!! We certainly didn’t. ‘Getting away with a draw’ was what we had decided was our likely best case scenario. Anyway, brilliant to be back. Brilliant to see the team have lost none of their first class attitude. Brilliant to see so many people showing amazing support to the team. Shout out to W block and drummer chap. You make the place rock! Let’s keep things positive and see where it takes us 👍😃

Regarding Hobson - I think it really takes a good manager to understand how to utilise him well. Decent centre back pairings with strong communication, a decent midfield helping out
However, all you're describing there is a good manager. Hobson was our most versatile centre-back for years. And what's more, he learned his proper craft with us.

Through Moseley, Brown and Maher, that's what we saw today. He wasn't culpable for any of the goals (especially when two were worldies) but my, what a defender we've nonetheless lost.

However, all you're describing there is a good manager. Hobson was our most versatile centre-back for years. And what's more, he learned his proper craft with us.

Through Moseley, Brown and Maher, that's what we saw today. He wasn't culpable for any of the goals (especially when two were worldies) but my, what a defender we've nonetheless lost.
I noticed he still remembers where Row Z is.

Regarding Hobson - I think it really takes a good manager to understand how to utilise him well. Decent centre back pairings with strong communication, a decent midfield helping out. It took Hobby seasons to adapt with us and he couldn't perform with players like Coulson, but he went an smashed it with Kacper/Kensdale/Lomas...

I really hope he comes good with Oldham personally.

Wrexham only went off the season with the idea of scoring more goals than the opposition was the way to win. Parky is such a **** manager. If you look at their team today, it was worse than most of their starting XI for majority of last season. It's a non-started without Mullin, Palmer and their other big stars.

If I was a Wrexham fan, the sooner Parky gets the sack, the better. Instead of spending endless buckets of money on big players, spend it on a decent manager & tactical set up. But then again, **** Shaun Harvey, therefore Wrexham's suffering is quite enjoyable.

Notts - MK did come down a league, so I guess that one is quite a gap. That score is surprising considering Notts were the best team tactically in the league last season.
The Notts County keeper was sent off after 15 mins so that explains that one a bit. They were 1-0 down already though!

Aren’t they also adding on the exact time for goal celebrations, time wasting at penalties and red cards etc?

I didn’t think there was much time wasting today - so gawd knows when a game with time wasting will finish - the 17.12 from Prittlewell is going to be very empty this season ……

Back