• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

Wow, what a game that was eh?

Who was everyone’s MOTM, for me it was between Ralph & Powell. Thought Powell showed his full potential today and good to see him playing with confidence.

Cant be the only one who thought Bridge was slightly off the pace and I mean only slightly.

Onto Daggers next week!

Taylor and Ralph absolutely superb. Also thought fonguck looked very good . Ndi brilliant at coming for his crosses today. Kensdale couple shakey moments in first half. Noor and Miley their usual self controlling midfield and great to see our strikers get on the scoresheet

Serious question does anyone know if the demonstration at Benfleet Road was as successful as the match at RH?
Wow.

That was for the fans who got the ground ready, for the players who stuck by us, the fans working in the club (because if they continue to work without being paid they are most probably doing so for the love of the club), for King Kev and the legend that is Benno and all the rest of the coaching staff. Heroes the lot of you 😍

A couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t sure I’d still have a club. Even as recently as last week I wasn’t sure this game would go ahead. The players have been on strike, they haven’t had running water, they haven’t had a pre-season, wages have been late and yet they produce a result like that.

This was right up there with the most unlikely results in our club’s 117 year history. Up there with Julian Hails’ hattrick at Leicester, scoring at Swansea with 8 men, that time Drewe Broughton apparently actually scored a league goal (in the right net @Jonny_Stokes ), Charlie Kelman scoring from the halfway line on his debut, that time we didn’t concede 3 under Kevin Bond. It might not have been beating Man U or Mildenhall’s save at Chelsea to get us a replay because with a bit of luck we could grab a 1-0 win or 1-1 draw against a team a division/two divisions above. To have half a pre-season, half a squad and to thrash the second favourites 4-0. Wow.

For the first half hour we were on top. The continuity from last season showed. The game was played in Oldham’s half and if a team deserved to be in front it was us. The goal came from a corner and the ball falling to Callum Powell who is at his best when he doesn’t have to think. Noor had earlier had a similar chance blocked by a desperate defender. At the other end the imperious Ralph, having his best game for the club, blocked a rare Oldham attack initiated by Kensdale dwelling on the ball. Cardwell then had a powerful effort saved and we seemed more likely to add a second than be pegged back level.

As the half came to a close energy levels dropped and the lack of pre-season showed. It suggested the second half might be a case of holding on and 6 minutes of injury time seemed excessive but something does need to be done about it (I imagine Borehamwood must still be playing their first half now).

The game however turned early second half on an absolutely horror tackle on Ralph. Late, reckless, dangerous on his planted leg: the sort that ends careers. Even a National League ref could get that one right. Something of a melee ensued and Kensdale was booked. Ralph was still down at this stage and the prospect of having only one available centre-half if Kensdale was sent off flashed across my mind but the ref wasn’t looking for excuses to even the numbers. With the extra man it evened up the fitness advantage Oldham had from having a proper pre-season. Even so legs began to tire and Oldham started to get more into things with their sub Fondop prominent. Mooney, who hadn’t featured in preseason surprisingly came on for Powell (who has yet to complete 90 minutes since September) but the killer sub was Oli Coker, long overlooked by fans in favour of Jon Benton. He replaced the excellent Fonguck who was blowing and Oli revelled in the extra space as Oldham tried to go more attacking for an equaliser. Coker found himself 25 yards out and took a touch and buried it past the keeper for a memorable first goal for the club .

Oldham’s heads then went. Mooney picked the ball up in oceans of space on the half way line and run through before curling into the same spot Coker had just done, from a similar range. At that point we could relax. The players didn’t and another Oli Coker run into space saw him picked out and cross in for Cardwell in the ten minutes(!) of injury time to nod in the goal his efforts deserved (for example his selfless sprint opened up the space for Mooney’s goal). Wow.

A brilliant day that I thought may never happen. We could hardly have written the script better: yet another clean sheet for Collin, a goal for each of our forwards, a confidence booster for Dan Mooney, a breakout game for the 16th man in the squad.
I can’t write anything near enough as good as this… what a day, totally unexpected!

Taylor and Ralph absolutely superb. Also though fonguck looked very good . Ndi brilliant at coming for his crosses today. Kensdale couple shakey moments in first half. Noor and Miley their usual self controlling midfield and great to see how strikers get on the scoresheet
Yes he came for everything. At one point in the second half, he came for a cross, their player hit Ndi hard while he was collecting the ball and their player just bounced off him, hit the deck and needed treatment 😂

One thing that I think helped us today is that we haven't been able to add to the squad. Everyone knows each others style and having been through a torrid summer, they are battling together. We need to be able to get some depth, but slowly and ensuring we get the right mentality in players. Oldham need to gel and get to know each other yet.
This may buy us a few weeks before other teams start to gel and we start suffering niggly injuries. After that, we might start to suffer with injuries and others getting their act together.
Pleased to hear it.

I’ve not been fully sold on him yet. It’s difficult to be too harsh on any of the players that are still here, they all deserve enormous credit and I hope they all go on to achieve huge things with us.

His versatility will be crucial whilst only allowed to operate with a 16 man squad.
Nor was I until I saw him play today. He was shear class. Losing hobbo forced us to play him at CB, and for that, I am grateful!

Yeah but the embargo has to been gone by the 23 rd that’s 2 games time so from then till now will be fine and u can tell u weren’t there Taylor was the best player on the pitch !!!
It’s the best I’ve seen Taylor play but he did have a couple of shaky moments in the first half where he was playing the ball across the back line but when he carried the ball out of defence in the second half he was a lot better and looked decent

Pleased to hear it.

I’ve not been fully sold on him yet. It’s difficult to be too harsh on any of the players that are still here, they all deserve enormous credit and I hope they all go on to achieve huge things with us.

His versatility will be crucial whilst only allowed to operate with a 16 man squad.
I think him being allowed to focus on only defensive duties was a massive help. Absolutely superb

Quiuck aside

Just seen Luke O Neill and Josh Wright ( captain ) being interviewed following Ebbsfleets away win

Big POSITIVE mentions on TV ( TNT SPORTS ) FOR US !

Tuesday 24th Oct .7.45 we take them on and get re-acquainted with 2 ex Blues

MAHER'S REACTION TO SUPERB OLDHAM WIN​

Kevin Maher spoke of the huge confidence boost today’s 4-0 win over highly-fancied Oldham Athletic will give his players.

Callum Powell, Oli Coker, Dan Mooney and Harry Cardwell were all on the scoresheet, earning Blues a quite magnificent win over the Latics.

The result made a mockery of many pre-season predictions, and on that, Maher said: “I don’t think anyone turning up today expected that. It’s thanks to the fans who came here last week that we had a game on. It’s testament to the players and how they go about their business.

“They’re quite calm in the dressing room to be fair and there’s a few tired bodies. We won’t get too ahead of ourselves but it was just an outpouring of relief from everyone at the football club.”

Blues came out of the blocks firing and could’ve gone ahead even earlier than they did. Our Head Coach was really pleased with the start, and also the way Blues added to their tally in the second half.

“I thought we started ever so well, having one or two off the line and having an appeal for a penalty. It was nice to get that first goal when we were on top.

“A few times last season we were ahead and didn’t put games to bed, like against Oldham last year. To get the extra goals we did was very pleasing. It was a bit emotional at the end because of everything we’ve been through.”

Coker’s first Blues goal was a superb strike from range, and Mooney matched it just moments later, the duo both having come off the bench.

On their finishes, Maher added: “We know Cokes has got great quality and hopefully he’ll have a good career with us and do well this year. It’s a hell of a finish from Moons – we know he’s got that in his locker. We need to keep getting him in the right areas and that’s up to me.

“We probably didn’t score enough goals last year so it’s great to have Cards off the mark as well. I thought he was exceptional leading the line – a goal was the least he deserved. We haven’t got too many strikers in the building so I’m delighted for Cards and Powelly.”

The result was even more special against one of the favourites for promotion. Maher concluded: “There’s no doubt that Oldham will be around it. As I’ve said before I think the strength of the football club is its fans and the staff who’ve stayed loyal to the football club.

“That one was for them and they can all go home and enjoy it. I’ll enjoy it tonight but the madness starts again on Monday!”

Great stuff from Cards, Moons, Cokes and....Powells

Safe to say I was a little emotional as the players walked out. Think the last few months just hit me like a brick. What a group we have. We are truly lucky to watch them every week.

What a great day where hope defeated expectation…
Downloaded my season ticket on to my phone. Turned up, scanned at the turnstiles, no problems.
Next up the pitch. Confused. I was led to believe it wasn’t in good condition. It was. Played perfectly, didn’t cut up and looked as lovely at the end as the beginning. It clearly drains exceptionally well unlike somewhere else…
Then basically we outplayed Oldham all over the pitch. And 4-0 didn’t flatter us at all…
Ratings every one an 8 except Taylor who I would give a 9. He was exceptional, particularly his reading of the game resulting in numerous interceptions.
Clean sheet Collin kept…well a clean sheet.
The crowd were brilliant.
Made up for young Ollie Coker who scored and made one. And pleased Mooney showed what he can do.
So the 16 is the 15 today plus Lomas. So one would have to leave for anyone else to come in.
This 11 we started with is a very good side. Keep that together and add 6 post embargo we can really go some where.

Biggest victory since Bradford City (a) January 19th 2019. Also 4-0.
Biggest win at home since MK Dons April 21st 2018. Again was 4-0.
Best performance since (particularly given the context) , probably a long time before either of these games.

Well what a day. Was great just to be back. Ticketing system seemed to work well. My scan wouldn't work and sent back to ticket office where no queue. Will get validated on Monday and in without a problem. Team started well and early goal gave some hope but feared lack of miles in legs would mean we would fade......but nothing of the sort. Everything about the game has been said. Loved GSM cranking up the noise. Think Taylor will be important as Lomas still has to come back and with no preseason will be some way off. Walked to the club shop afterwards and as well as all the shirts on show in the ground they were selling out as soon as they went on the wall. A real buzz in there and for just a moment you could forget the scourge of Ron Martin.

Heard a rumour, admittedly from someone who knows someone whose mum works for Ron that the deal with the Aussies is very close and they are interested in sport rather than property so I'm allowing myself a little optimism for a while.

Back