• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-0 Oldham Athletic

Money didn’t look like a player wants leave every one was 10 out of 10 as long as we don’t get massive injuries will be just fine

We will not be “just fine” with a squad of just 16.

I wasn’t there today, so can’t comment on the performance, although absolutely buzzing off the result and can’t wait for the highlights.

A 16 man squad is not enough for a full season in the National League. Our starting 11 is good, I’d suggest our strongest 11 would be Lomas in for Taylor. That is a very good starting 11, but ultimately fell short of our goals as we weren’t able to add to the squad from September onwards.

A squad of 16, with a lack of a proper pre-season, will get found out eventually. I’m obviously hoping it’s not for a long time yet, and things have improved off the field so that doesn’t become an issue.

Well done the Shrimpers, you gave us a lesson in desire, organisation and passion for your club whereas our shambles of a team did what they usually do under our clown of a Manager Unsworth and played as if they couldn’t be bothered…we were stupid enough to think things would change from last season with a few signings but alas it is worse than ever 😞

I did mention on another thread that we had a powder puff midfield and no right back and you took full advantage.

Just one word of caution, I see a few saying you’ll be up there because you just thrashed promotion hopefuls…honestly, you just thrashed a lower mid table team so you should judge your progress after you’ve played a decent team 🤣

Anyway, thanks for the footballing lesson and, seriously, best of luck in getting proper ownership

We had a 10 min spell not long after Sutton was sent off where we struggled. Oldham weren't doing us, we were doing ourselves and really thought we were going to gift Oldham a goal.
Luckily, we got the jitters out of our system and controlled the game again. The subs of Mooney and Coker galvanised us at that point, as did their goals

I wasn’t there today, so can’t comment on the performance, although absolutely buzzing off the result and can’t wait for the highlights.

A 16 man squad is not enough for a full season in the National League. Our starting 11 is good, I’d suggest our strongest 11 would be Lomas in for Taylor. That is a very good starting 11, but ultimately fell short of our goals as we weren’t able to add to the squad from September onwards.

A squad of 16, with a lack of a proper pre-season, will get found out eventually. I’m obviously hoping it’s not for a long time yet, and things have improved off the field so that doesn’t become an issue.
Taylor was ****ing quality today!

Well done the Shrimpers, you gave us a lesson in desire, organisation and passion for your club whereas our shambles of a team did what they usually do under our clown of a Manager Unsworth and played as if they couldn’t be bothered…we were stupid enough to think things would change from last season with a few signings but alas it is worse than ever 😞

I did mention on another thread that we had a powder puff midfield and no right back and you took full advantage.

Just one word of caution, I see a few saying you’ll be up there because you just thrashed promotion hopefuls…honestly, you just thrashed a lower mid table team so you should judge your progress after you’ve played a decent team 🤣

Anyway, thanks for the footballing lesson and, seriously, best of luck in getting proper ownership
You guys will get there no doubt, a lot of good players on that side that need time. Trust me you'll be up there

Reactions: TJC
Wow.

That was for the fans who got the ground ready, for the players who stuck by us, the fans working in the club (because if they continue to work without being paid they are most probably doing so for the love of the club), for King Kev and the legend that is Benno and all the rest of the coaching staff. Heroes the lot of you 😍

A couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t sure I’d still have a club. Even as recently as last week I wasn’t sure this game would go ahead. The players have been on strike, they haven’t had running water, they haven’t had a pre-season, wages have been late and yet they produce a result like that.

This was right up there with the most unlikely results in our club’s 117 year history. Up there with Julian Hails’ hattrick at Leicester, scoring at Swansea with 8 men, that time Drewe Broughton apparently actually scored a league goal (in the right net @Jonny_Stokes ), Charlie Kelman scoring from the halfway line on his debut, that time we didn’t concede 3 under Kevin Bond. It might not have been beating Man U or Mildenhall’s save at Chelsea to get us a replay because with a bit of luck we could grab a 1-0 win or 1-1 draw against a team a division/two divisions above. To have half a pre-season, half a squad and to thrash the second favourites 4-0. Wow.

For the first half hour we were on top. The continuity from last season showed. The game was played in Oldham’s half and if a team deserved to be in front it was us. The goal came from a corner and the ball falling to Callum Powell who is at his best when he doesn’t have to think. Noor had earlier had a similar chance blocked by a desperate defender. At the other end the imperious Ralph, having his best game for the club, blocked a rare Oldham attack initiated by Kensdale dwelling on the ball. Cardwell then had a powerful effort saved and we seemed more likely to add a second than be pegged back level.

As the half came to a close energy levels dropped and the lack of pre-season showed. It suggested the second half might be a case of holding on and 6 minutes of injury time seemed excessive but something does need to be done about it (I imagine Borehamwood must still be playing their first half now).

The game however turned early second half on an absolutely horror tackle on Ralph. Late, reckless, dangerous on his planted leg: the sort that ends careers. Even a National League ref could get that one right. Something of a melee ensued and Kensdale was booked. Ralph was still down at this stage and the prospect of having only one available centre-half if Kensdale was sent off flashed across my mind but the ref wasn’t looking for excuses to even the numbers. With the extra man it evened up the fitness advantage Oldham had from having a proper pre-season. Even so legs began to tire and Oldham started to get more into things with their sub Fondop prominent. Mooney, who hadn’t featured in preseason surprisingly came on for Powell (who has yet to complete 90 minutes since September) but the killer sub was Oli Coker, long overlooked by fans in favour of Jon Benton. He replaced the excellent Fonguck who was blowing and Oli revelled in the extra space as Oldham tried to go more attacking for an equaliser. Coker found himself 25 yards out and took a touch and buried it past the keeper for a memorable first goal for the club .

Oldham’s heads then went. Mooney picked the ball up in oceans of space on the half way line and run through before curling into the same spot Coker had just done, from a similar range. At that point we could relax. The players didn’t and another Oli Coker run into space saw him picked out and cross in for Cardwell in the ten minutes(!) of injury time to nod in the goal his efforts deserved (for example his selfless sprint opened up the space for Mooney’s goal). Wow.

A brilliant day that I thought may never happen. We could hardly have written the script better: yet another clean sheet for Collin, a goal for each of our forwards, a confidence booster for Dan Mooney, a breakout game for the 16th man in the squad.

Love this YB.

Taylor was ****ing quality today!

Pleased to hear it.

I’ve not been fully sold on him yet. It’s difficult to be too harsh on any of the players that are still here, they all deserve enormous credit and I hope they all go on to achieve huge things with us.

His versatility will be crucial whilst only allowed to operate with a 16 man squad.

Arguably and somewhat Ironically I felt the lack of new additions and our limited options worked in our favour today. We had a band of brothers out there, togetherness and team spirit built through adversity. A knowledge of each others abilities and play built over last season and the summers issues. Factors lacking in our opponents who turned up with the expectation of an easy 3 points. Yes we need more numbers but what a wonderful heart we have to the squad to build on. Very much Southend and Proud of it feelings tonight. Now just go RM, in God's name just go!

Yeah but the embargo has to been gone by the 23 rd that’s 2 games time so from then till now will be fine and u can tell u weren’t there Taylor was the best player on the pitch !!!

Could be another to add to the s**t rumour pile from "ITKs" in the summer.

Highly doubt if Mooney had "handed in his notice and was waiting for a tribunal" he'd be playing for us.... surely?
He's under contract and if he hadn't been named in the squad we'd have only had 14 players. I don't see his inclusion as disproving anything. Needs must and all that

Last edited:

I don’t think any of us truly believe we’ll be there or there’s abouts….. yet.

Get shot of the anchor weighing us down, and watch us fly.

Makes a change to see a decent away crowd, so fair play to all of you.

You’ll definitely be there or there abouts come the end of the season. I’d love to imagine we’ll be there too, but unless we free ourselves of that **** Martin, you’ll have to settle for battling it out with the Spireites.

Whilst we still desperately need he-who-shall-not-be-named gone.

Isn’t it wonderful to have actual football to talk about again. Especially a win like that.

Wow.

That was for the fans who got the ground ready, for the players who stuck by us, the fans working in the club (because if they continue to work without being paid they are most probably doing so for the love of the club), for King Kev and the legend that is Benno and all the rest of the coaching staff. Heroes the lot of you 😍

A couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t sure I’d still have a club. Even as recently as last week I wasn’t sure this game would go ahead. The players have been on strike, they haven’t had running water, they haven’t had a pre-season, wages have been late and yet they produce a result like that.

This was right up there with the most unlikely results in our club’s 117 year history. Up there with Julian Hails’ hattrick at Leicester, scoring at Swansea with 8 men, that time Drewe Broughton apparently actually scored a league goal (in the right net @Jonny_Stokes ), Charlie Kelman scoring from the halfway line on his debut, that time we didn’t concede 3 under Kevin Bond. It might not have been beating Man U or Mildenhall’s save at Chelsea to get us a replay because with a bit of luck we could grab a 1-0 win or 1-1 draw against a team a division/two divisions above. To have half a pre-season, half a squad and to thrash the second favourites 4-0. Wow.

For the first half hour we were on top. The continuity from last season showed. The game was played in Oldham’s half and if a team deserved to be in front it was us. The goal came from a corner and the ball falling to Callum Powell who is at his best when he doesn’t have to think. Noor had earlier had a similar chance blocked by a desperate defender. At the other end the imperious Ralph, having his best game for the club, blocked a rare Oldham attack initiated by Kensdale dwelling on the ball. Cardwell then had a powerful effort saved and we seemed more likely to add a second than be pegged back level.

As the half came to a close energy levels dropped and the lack of pre-season showed. It suggested the second half might be a case of holding on and 6 minutes of injury time seemed excessive but something does need to be done about it (I imagine Borehamwood must still be playing their first half now).

The game however turned early second half on an absolutely horror tackle on Ralph. Late, reckless, dangerous on his planted leg: the sort that ends careers. Even a National League ref could get that one right. Something of a melee ensued and Kensdale was booked. Ralph was still down at this stage and the prospect of having only one available centre-half if Kensdale was sent off flashed across my mind but the ref wasn’t looking for excuses to even the numbers. With the extra man it evened up the fitness advantage Oldham had from having a proper pre-season. Even so legs began to tire and Oldham started to get more into things with their sub Fondop prominent. Mooney, who hadn’t featured in preseason surprisingly came on for Powell (who has yet to complete 90 minutes since September) but the killer sub was Oli Coker, long overlooked by fans in favour of Jon Benton. He replaced the excellent Fonguck who was blowing and Oli revelled in the extra space as Oldham tried to go more attacking for an equaliser. Coker found himself 25 yards out and took a touch and buried it past the keeper for a memorable first goal for the club .

Oldham’s heads then went. Mooney picked the ball up in oceans of space on the half way line and run through before curling into the same spot Coker had just done, from a similar range. At that point we could relax. The players didn’t and another Oli Coker run into space saw him picked out and cross in for Cardwell in the ten minutes(!) of injury time to nod in the goal his efforts deserved (for example his selfless sprint opened up the space for Mooney’s goal). Wow.

A brilliant day that I thought may never happen. We could hardly have written the script better: yet another clean sheet for Collin, a goal for each of our forwards, a confidence booster for Dan Mooney, a breakout game for the 16th man in the squad.
It's easy to go over the top when describing the 'best posts ever' on this forum, but this should certainly make our Pantheon.

Back