• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Eastleigh

from what i read he may reming you off EGBRI but did Egbri ever have his vision or passing ability, i havent seen him play but from threads maybe another Kevin BAron type of player ,
To be fair to Egbri and a lot of the young players that were called upon back in 2019 / 2020 they were called up and played as we had no-one else pretty much. Kevin Bond, Sol Campbell and then Mark Molesley all had issues getting in players (believe Sol tried to bring in 2 but due to embargo could never register them)

In that short curtailed Covid season we won 4, drew 7 and lost the rest. Not exactly a great introduction for a lot of the lads back then. They would probably have expected to go out on loan to a National league side or the step below. Not suffer 2 relegations in 2 seasons

To be fair to Egbri and a lot of the young players that were called upon back in 2019 / 2020 they were called up and played as we had no-one else pretty much. Kevin Bond, Sol Campbell and then Mark Molesley all had issues getting in players (believe Sol tried to bring in 2 but due to embargo could never register them)

In that short curtailed Covid season we won 4, drew 7 and lost the rest. Not exactly a great introduction for a lot of the lads back then. They would probably have expected to go out on loan to a National league side or the step below. Not suffer 2 relegations in 2 seasons
I wasnt putting Egbri down if it sounded like it then my apologises. its just that i think Forson is more technically gifted than Egbri will ever be .

I don't doubt that for one minute, but that wasn't the point of my post. I was highlighting (obviously clumsily) the disparities between clubs in our division, and still thought there would be more away fans given their current form.
Disparity is a good word.
We have been/were a Football League club for 94 years.
Eastleigh only made the NL in 2014 for the first time.
At the same time as Tilly was about to give us a golden period, Eastleigh were emerging from the Wessex League!
There's no pedigree or history there.
Population wise, Southend alone, never mind surrounding areas, is twice that of Eastleigh.
Also, when Southampton is six miles down the road, you've got something of the Gateshead/Newcastle thing.
Having built up their Ten Acres ground (as originally called) from a couple of bike sheds in less than 20 years is a decent effort.

That midfield 3 last night might be the most technical we’ve had in the last decade. All 3 are unreal on the ball.
I was thinking something similar watching Appiah-Forson. There’s a hint of young Anthony Grant about him (although he obviously he lacks the height to end his career playing centre-back and he doesn’t look like he can buy a freekick as well anywhere near as as Grant could) and my mind drifted back to the midfield we had for the Chelsea cup game when we had Anthony Grant, Franck Moussa and Junior Stanislaus all in midfield and how they could play the one touch stuff against Chelsea. I think KAF would have fitted in well with them. Despite his humble footballing background he looks well coached and looks like he can work the ball around tight spaces, receiving the ball under pressure and giving and going. If he can be as good a player as Anthony Grant was he’ll be a terrific signing.

Great points by all already been said. What I will add, is that usually a goal or two up, I’m happy for whistle to go and take the points. Last night, I really didn’t want it to end and go home!

Players who often seemed static pre-Moncur, now seem alert and on the move. They have the technical ability but now also the belief. Suprised one player can make so much difference, and on 20 minutes showing, Bonne seems another with great movement which would explain the highlights videos showing him in the right place at the right time.

With a few more signings, and recoveries from injury, we will have a squad with impact from subs that Maher was wanting. Quicker than I thought possible 😀

This is such a valid point. Bridge was targeted by 2, sometimes 3, players last season, because he was our only outlet. Fans got on his back for not 'producing' and that we only went down the left. Moncur is now taking those players out of the game, which is freeing up space for Bridge and Husin to flourish. Gaps are now appearing, which weren't there last season. Just think how much more we can hurt teams when Bonne and Walker are firing too.

I think it was a case of us making him the main outlet. Last night at 0-0, GSM just missed out on one header and forced great save with another. He was making those runs all last season but it was like half our team had patch over the right eye during some games.

Plus Moncur is happy to mix up his passing including using the forwards on the floor. I find Husin and Coker favour safer wider ball. 70% of the time that was Bridge. Which as you say became an easy day for a well organised team. Probably why we didn't take enough points off the top teams.

Last edited:
Let's see if Sutton (who have lost their last 3 games) come & park the bus. (Should we be higher up the table we may find a number of teams come to Roots Hall with just that in mind).

That will give us another view of how this team is progressing.

Everything about last night was superb, players and fans in it together. Compare that with Barnet who only had 900 fans turn up last night. Just watched a clip of their manager Dean brennan going into one about the lack of fans and the fact that those that do turn up don't stop moaning. Clear to see from our away game there that he is a very passionate guy and he is seriously not happy with the support they get 😂

Let's see if Sutton (who have lost their last 3 games) come & park the bus. (Should we be higher up the table we may find a number of teams come to Roots Hall with just that in mind).

That will give us another view of how this team is progressing.
I'd be very surprised if Sutton will play an attacking game ( due to their recent results ) & will attempt to make it a frustrating afternoon for us, & just try to hit us on the break?.
An early goal for us ( hopefully ), would make a lot of difference to how the game goes?.

Opening game of the season - 10th August. Last nights game - 10th September.
That's a month, right?

Kev has been quoted as saying we are about 3-4 weeks behind where we should be, not just in recruitment but in fitness as well. I wasn't able to go last night (Tuesday nights under the Roots Hall lights, at the moment, are a no) but I have only read good things. From high press to sublime touches, from greater energy levels to neat triangles further up the pitch. Last night (apparently) we played superbly.

A months four weeks, right?
Sounds like Kev was pretty much spot on!

:Happy::Happy::Happy:

I'll be there Saturday...

There seems to be teams that struggle a bit with Sat-Tues games, i think Eastleigh might be one of them. After the first 10mins of keep ball from them, then we got into our rythm and dominated from their unwillingness to chase and close down. Loads of space out there for our midfield to play lovely triangles and cross field balls. I very much doubt we'd have got that if it was us that played them on Saturday.
Up against a dreary weather forecast, long coach journey no doubt, a partisan big home crowd and a Southend team looking to give the fans a real good show and in need of a win, i think it was pretty much on the cards this one. I certainly fancied 3 points before ko.
Their head coach said it, this doesnt define our season and already they focus on the next opponent. Like he knew theyd come unstuck against us.

Can we go and play like that against fresh legs and geared up opposition is the question. No doubt everyone will feel like we can from here on in. Tough tests to come but if we habe our best players on the pitch then we should fear no one.

Simply have to step up to the challenge. We are STILL not bursting from central midfield and shooting from the edge of the box much at all. Our aerial threat from corners is still lame and if we are under pressure in our own half and clear it, we lose possesion immediately because we only have 1 upfront.
Lots to do but very enjoyable evening Tues night for me.

Coming late to this thread but my thoughts are the same as I reflected on what I witnessed from the comfort of my Bratislava sofa...

Apart from Colin's misdirected pass we never looked at any point under a threat,
We nullified many of their key players and turned them into spectators. All they could do is stand and watch as we passed through them and by them.
I never felt that we were even playing in top gear. That's how comfortable we were.
The performance set our marker in a 24/25 National League as our best performance to date.
I am hoping that there will be better ones also. There will need to be if we are to be successful this season.
The strengthening of the squad with the experience has helped.

To conclude, we are no more than in contention for success this season. I hope that the squad can develop further through the season that enables us to be strong contenders and hopefully more. Tuesday night was a good start.

UTB!

Back