• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Sutton United

Really disappointing after the win on Tuesday. The defence was shocking today, I’m unconvinced that Crowther’s anywhere near as good as Kensdale, Gubbins has been poor more often than not, and even the usually reliable Taylor had a mare. When did we last concede 3 at home? Defence has been our strength, if we lose that then I’m worried as we don’t score anywhere near enough to compensate.

As others have said, Collin’s kicking and distribution is becoming a real problem. He’d improved this area hugely last season but seems to have regressed. Maybe he’s missing Dave Martin’s influence, but it needs to improve quickly or we should be looking at alternatives IMO.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Moncur should have been subbed for KAF rather than Morton. We lost our shape after the sub with all 3 midfielders pushing up at once, one needed to sit. Moncur had little influence in the second half and I thought we should have focused on getting more energy on to the pitch.

Hopefully we can bounce back on Tuesday, I don’t want to be overly negative as we did play some good football at times and created chances. We do however need to stamp out those defensive errors quickly, and get back to being hard to beat. It felt like we beat ourselves today.
Totally agree about the midfield

Criticism of Collin is a bit harsh, the biggest goalkeeping gaffe today was Steve Arnold’s gift for our opener. He conceded fewer goals than any other NL goalkeeper last season, I doubt we would be able to find someone better who would want to play at this level.
The issue is that Collin does not have any serious competition and loses focus at key moments. Competition will help Collin perform better

I think today showed why we need another goalkeeper capable of taking the shirt off Collin, his whole body language and everything feels as though he is bigger than the club … a ball playing goalkeeper is massively important to the way we play and his not very good at it … 3/4 times today he took a poor first touch then another touch then a 3rd touch then his clearance was nearly blocked
His body language was awful today. Couple of times he totally switched off.

And of course during those seasons we haven't been under Embargo, had points deductions, had a Chairman investing Zero money into the club.............oh hang on!!!!
We’ll have to agree to disagree since you seem incapable of accepting any other opinion than me heralding Kev as a strategic mastermind.

Seems a massive massive over reaction to me.learn from football never get to down on defeats never get to up when we win.

Was a bad performance today I actually thought the subs were spot on. Was saying to the people round me one of the first times I’ve seen km take off a holding mid for a striker and go for it. Yes it didn’t work but more of Tuesday less of today we will be ok it’s a project.

Keep the faith

Ps km is one of the most animated managers I have ever seen in the sideline
As long as you are happy with a massive massive over reaction when we beat Eastleigh then you can also be happy with the massive over reaction when we lost today … you can’t have both

No room for them, all space taken up by the "I can't let go of the fact that I didn't like Maher as a player, AND my expectations are way too high, so everything bad is his fault and everything good is down to somebody else" brigade.
Glad I'm not in either camp then as Maher as a player I thought was fantastic and the flack he took as a player wasn't warranted.

I don't think expecting the team to be on par if not better than previous seasons is my expectations being too high.

Yes some may be of that mindset you've described but not I

I agree, the way he struts around like his **** don’t stink is a worrying sign, it might just be the way he comes across as I know his a nice lad when spoken to by fans but he just looks so arrogant when on the pitch even warming up
There was rumours he wanted out this year but seems nothing materialized

Because we are not very good ? Have we ever tried to look at the cold hard facts ??? The arrogance on our fans today ‘**** the national league’ and singing about the ref losing us the game … lol I can think of about 10-20 reasons why we lost today and it ain’t the league or the ref
100 percent

I agree, the way he struts around like his **** don’t stink is a worrying sign, it might just be the way he comes across as I know his a nice lad when spoken to by fans but he just looks so arrogant when on the pitch even warming up
Lets face it , he is a number two and if Arnold wasn't injured last year then he would still be warming the bench. Got to say that the new goal keeping coach didn't inspire confidence either at Barnet, couldn't even float his crosses in to Collin's hands.
Main problem though is this fannying about at the back involving probably the worst distribution goal keeper in the League?

Well that really was a bad day at the office, but given we are still trying to get players match fit, back from injuries and looking to bring more players in to have a real option to rotate the starting eleven, especially with Saturday Tuesday turnarounds then not really surprising to get a result like today, but sorry I appreciate it's all about opinions and people's rights within a forum like this to express them but some people's opinions on Kev are unbelievable and as such I have decided to express my opinion on those opinions and follow the advice of the attached!

FB_IMG_1725224442606.jpg

Its like Michael Owen said, the team that scores more goals wins. Colin making mistakes are far worse at the moment given we cant seem to score goals.

Even more frustrasting given our only goal today was somewhat a wonder goal.

The issue is that Collin does not have any serious competition and loses focus at key moments. Competition will help Collin perform better
No, the issue is that we don’t have anyone open to pass to.

His options are then to try and force a pass that isn’t there or knock it long to where Bim is all alone up front and if he wins the flick it goes to no one and the ball comes back too quickly.

We need players to look ahead a pass and not pass to someone with no options other than to knock it long. There are too many passes that go down blind alleys forcing the recipient to launch it long.

It’s fine passing back to Collin if he has a pass open to a free man (say Gubbins passes it back and Taylor is free on the right) but we then need Taylor to also have an option open otherwise it just goes back to Collin who has to knock it long. This requires better movement and better awareness. Neither Gubbins nor Crowther look particularly comfortable in possession. Taylor was the weakest of our centre-backs in possession last season and is now the best. That’s where the issue is. The midfield can help by ensuring they are open and that when they take passes they look forward rather than just backward.

No, the issue is that we don’t have anyone open to pass to.

His options are then to try and force a pass that isn’t there or knock it long to where Bim is all alone up front and if he wins the flick it goes to no one and the ball comes back too quickly.

We need players to look ahead a pass and not pass to someone with no options other than to knock it long. There are too many passes that go down blind alleys forcing the recipient to launch it long.

It’s fine passing back to Collin if he has a pass open to a free man (say Gubbins passes it back and Taylor is free on the right) but we then need Taylor to also have an option open otherwise it just goes back to Collin who has to knock it long. This requires better movement and better awareness. Neither Gubbins nor Crowther look particularly comfortable in possession. Taylor was the weakest of our centre-backs in possession last season and is now the best. That’s where the issue is. The midfield can help by ensuring they are open and that when they take passes they look forward rather than just backward.
No he just is **** with his feet. Conversation over

Back