• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

Not saying I want Kev out but if the club were to pull the trigger, you’d have to say for all three to leave so a completely new team with new ideas could come in. Not that I’d have a scoobie who that would be.

Talking about this walking home.

Not saying I want Kev out but to keep playing 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 when it isn't working is criminal.

Ive yet to see anything from the management team to suggest a top 7 finish in what is a very average league.

This was the season to really have a go and we have signed largely dross that's inferior to the previous players we had.

The management team aren't exempt form criticism and neither are the new owners. The fans are doing their bit. Highest crowds in the division and we are rewarded with a bottom half side.

I've got many questions that hopefully fellow posters can provide some answer's.

1. Why did Morton come off and not Husin?
2. How come after scoring a brace against Solihull, Bonne gets a full 90 minutes today and Pepple 0?
3. Why is Wood brought on at 10 minutes after it went to 3-1?
4. Why is so much faith and hope being put in Moncur and Bonne? We have substitutes on the bench who should be given the chance to prove themselves.
5. How can the commentator keep getting the players names wrong?
6. How can the commentator say that Husin had a good game?

I could be here all night adding questions. At some point Maher should start making himself accountable. I get it that many options have been taken away from him. But as a coach he's still expected to make decisions. Currently I'm struggling to understand the decisions related to my questions!
Agree with most, but think Moncur has earned his place with his performances including today. Bonne however... Living on an old record from 5 years ago perhaps?
We were crying out for subs, but decenf ones. Not the ones served up. Wind on out of position? Why? Injury or fatigue for foran otherwise it weakened us? Walker on was a good move, but perhaps better candidates for who went off. Wood on? Unless we have no one else at all, is the only time I would ever consider bringing wood on. Just not good enough.
Colin has to be rested.
Why on earth did pepple not start or at least get a decent run as sub?

We are a mess at the moment. Hard to provide the answers how to resolve it, but I really do not understand why again, Kev is reluctant to making changes earlier. Sutton before and Gateshead today, both made a number of changes at key points. We wait to go 2-1 down to put another striker on, then keep waiting to go 3-1 down before making another. It clearly wasn't happening for Bonne or Bridge and we have Woody and Pepple sitting on the bench, so instead we get Wind on at centre back. I'm baffled.
When Woody did come on, he made two chances .... yet he isn't given an opportunity of more than 10 minutes. Not saying he's the answer, but at the moment we can't do any worse, so why not give the lad an opportunity. Another shambolic display today.

That performance was disgusting them players don’t deserve the support and most of them ain’t fit to we’re the shirt the club is to big for all of them everyone has to be questioned Maher the players the recruitment has been **** poor when we first come down to this league drawing at Wealdstone and loosing at home convincingly was rightly unacceptable and brown got the sack the football is just as bad as was then maybe it’s time for change

Not from where I was sitting, Colin (who had a shocker again) clearly got the ball. Be interested to see the highlights to see if my opinion changes.
I thought at the time, he did well to push ball away, but caught player after realising he hadn't got enough on it, but watching video replay I changed my mind and player just went over him. Difficult call for ref

Bonne up front on his own is, to absolutely nobody’s surprise, utterly ****ing pointless. I wouldn’t mind, but it was tried just a few days ago & proved then to be utterly ****ing pointless, so why are we repeating it?
I can only assume he’s trying to run him into fitness. With one up front he has to work harder. It currently looks like he’s running in quick sand. It’s a pity as he’s adept at winning the flick ons - although with no one ahead of him they are wasted - and has a decent touch but he’s too immobile.

Thankfully Walker should be ready to start next week. He made a difference when he came on with his athleticism. Pepple - so impressive last weekend - bizarrely didn’t even get on.

Our other problem is that Moncur hasn’t the legs to get over to support Bridge (we don’t half miss Wes) and Gubbins hasn’t the pace to get back in order to be able to get forward. Eventually this saw us bringing on Wind to try and get more out of Bridge. It was the type of cameo from Wind that will earn him more opportunities. He has the athleticism necessary but not the left foot.

Not many in our squad have the athleticism. It cost us the game. It was a real blow to be without both Taylor and Ralph. They are arguably our fastest players and they were replaced by arguably our slowest players (other than Moncur and Bonne) in Gubbins and Crowther. For the first goal Taylor would usually have used his recovery speed to get back and clear it but Crowther lacks that - Collin was expecting him to deal with it like Taylor would have but he paused. For the second Taylor and Ralph would have dealt with that so much better than Crowther and Foran. We may not see Foran again. Collin appeared to get to the ball first - that looked a poor decision but we can’t complain too much as Gateshead were value for a 3-1 win

The thing I’m most afraid of is Maher using his small squad as an excuse to field a weakened team in the cup. That would be a horrendous mistake. This season is now all about the cup (FA and Trophy). A good run in either could help pull us into the playoffs with the confidence and extra revenue it creates and give us the experience of playing in knockout games that we’ll need if we ever reach the playoffs. We need to be all-in on the cups.

That performance was disgusting them players don’t deserve the support and most of them ain’t fit to we’re the shirt the club is to big for all of them everyone has to be questioned Maher the players the recruitment has been **** poor when we first come down to this league drawing at Wealdstone and loosing at home convincingly was rightly unacceptable and brown got the sack the football is just as bad as was then maybe it’s time for change
Still doesn't stop most of the crowd applauding them off each week. Mind boggling.

You’ll all be surprised I’ve nothing further to add, for me no worse than we have been over the other 10 games ( and I’ve seen them all bar 1) I’ll keep it short and sweet to allow hawkwell blue and meadway shrimper their normally weekly dig and snigger as I carry on rolling out the truth, have a good week all

I can't be arsed to debate whether Kev got it right or wrong, if you want to, then knock yourself out. What I am pretty sure about is that the Heed's first goal was so offside that I am at a loss to understand why it wasn't given. I also thought that Collin played the ball before the collision with their player, and thus it wasn't a penalty, so in conclusion we should have drawn 1-1. Gateshead are a good side that may not defend with too much conviction, but they do like to attack and score goals, and they were better than us.

We had a patched up defence, and it showed, George was blowing out of his arse shortly after half time and I finally saw Bonne winning balls in the air and running about with some conviction in the second half. Walker looked a much better bet to start next Saturday and I don't know why Pepple didn't get a sniff. There you go, rambling thoughts after a 1-3 defeat.

Oh, and one more thing, the ref was a total and utterly inept ****er for the full 95 minutes. As @Mr Browns Ghost's says, its good to get things off your chest on here, I feel better now.

Worst performance under Maher to date. Collin’s sadly becoming a complete liability, he needs a rest badly. If we don’t think Hillson’s a viable alternative then another option needs signing quickly.

Bonne… I don’t know where to start, looks completely half arsed and as someone else said, he didn’t break a sweat. If he spent as much energy on his game as he did moaning to the ref about nothing, he’d be a world beater. How he wasn’t subbed with Pepple sitting on the bench is beyond my comprehension.

Moncur, is he really doing enough? I get this might be controversial and he’s easy on the eye with his neat passes, but he still looks off the pace and I’d prefer to get more energy into the team and have him as a sub option for now. Morton, KAF, Husin as the starting midfielders with Walker & Pepple up top next game for me.

Andeng-Ndi 4 - Dreadful distribution, this has become a real problem. At fault for their first goal, starting to come, then backing off, he had to commit and I think he was favourite to reach the ball first. Gave the pen away too. He’s shown he’s capable of much better but has lost all confidence and needs a rest IMO.
EDIT - Having watched the highlights the pen decision was very harsh, I’ve added an extra point.
GSM 5 - Poor overall by his high standards though did get yet another goal.
Foran 4 - Didn’t look good enough, Wind couldn’t have been any worse. Ate least Ralph’s back for the next match.
Crowther 5 - Struggled with Gateshead’s movement though did make some good blocks.
Gubbins 5 - Probably just about the pick of the defence, but like Crowther he struggled with their quick passing and movement.
Bridge 4 - Looks knackered, I’m not sure why. Gave no help at all defensively and was sub par attack wise. He seems to be going backwards fast sadly,
Morton 5 - Not great, doesn’t have the tackling ability of Miley and his passing today wasn’t as good as usual.
KAF 6 - Probably my MOM, the only player to have a good first half and did well to create our goal. Less influence after the break, perhaps not helped by Morton being subbed and having to sit deeper. Definitely looks better going forwards than he does defensively.
Husin 5 - Okay, but another who’s capable of so much better. Too many safe passes today.
Moncur 5 - Some neat passing without really looking overly threatening. As previously mentioned he still looks a yard off the pace.
Bonne 2 - The most half arsed performance I’ve seen for ages. He might not be fully fit, but that can’t excuse that showing. Needs some harsh words and a rocket up his backside.

Subs
Walker 5 - Started off well and showed his pace a couple of times, but didn’t really threaten.
Wind - did okay, but not enough time to give a rating.
Wood - Ditto.

We need to bounce back with a far better performance against Maidenhead. If we lose that one I’ll start to really worry.

Last edited:
My man of the match was Billy Best, great to see him back.
I don't think we were quite as bad as the most critical posts. We looked like a team of late enforced changes with too many struggling to fit into a squad. There was no flow through the lines, our midfield was disconnected from both the defence and our very lonely striker.
Collin seems to be struggling since Dave Martins departure.
Still trying to hang on to the hope things will fall into place when everyone is available.

Back