• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

Absolutely ****e. ****e from players. Management. Coaches. And especially Macaulay bonne.

Colin 3. Don't understand how he has his shirt. Awful distribution AGAIN. Gains a point because it wasn't a pen.
Gus 7- not his usual self by another goal.
Crowther 5- bullied.
Foran 6- looked solid.
Gubbins 5. Bambi on ice
Bridge 5- awful defensively let that 7 past 8/9 times. No attacking outlet either.
Morton 5. Lost the ball in crucial areas. Had to check the team sheet to even make sure he was playing.
Noor 5. Not noticable.
Kaf 6- put himself about but not much more.
Moncur 7. Clearly levels above but can't make the rest of them any good.
Bonne 2. Didn't break a sweat. Disinterested. Stealing a wage. **** off.

Kev 2. Love him to bits but awful subs and awful tactics

Nothing is easy supporting Southend whether embargoed or embuggered!
Agree with everyone who says the majority aren't fit for purpose.
A QPR supporting mate laughed when I told him we'd signed Gubbins; but the poor bloke is not alone.
I'd love to put Kev under a truth drug and ask him why Pepple and Bonne as well? Cheap and available comes to mind although Moncur and KAF balance it out a bit.
However, and yeah, I haven't chcked the whole NL, but a no pre-season build while losing SEVEN players before this game either sold, sacked, suspended or stricken must be out there on its own.

Last edited:
Tactically inept. We setup like we were playing Man City from the start. Trying to think of poorer management displays ever. 1 upfront who is not a target man or can run behind the defence. The opposition targeted the wide areas which were gaps from our wing backs totally unnoticed. Utterly humiliating.
York targeted the wide areas too and we had no reply. Another lesson we should have learnt but clearly have not!

It might be just me but i never had a thought for 1 minute that we would win that game today. I don't think we will win many these days as i think we are bang average in this league regardless of the usual list of reasons why and have some very average players. I didn't think Gateshead were anything special but they were still a lot better than us. It seems quite acceptable these days for us to lose.

Our set up, play and overall game is toilet, thank God for Gus to show how to score, shame the others don't have a clue in front of goal. We start games always worrying about the oppostion and how we can defend best, we never take it to them from the off and give them something to worry about. All a bit bizzare to me.

Anyway over to you guys
Summed up perfectly, why are we scared of everyone and expecting to struggle? The excuses are wearing very thin now.

I've got many questions that hopefully fellow posters can provide some answer's.

1. Why did Morton come off and not Husin?
2. How come after scoring a brace against Solihull, Bonne gets a full 90 minutes today and Pepple 0?
3. Why is Wood brought on at 10 minutes after it went to 3-1?
4. Why is so much faith and hope being put in Moncur and Bonne? We have substitutes on the bench who should be given the chance to prove themselves.
5. How can the commentator keep getting the players names wrong?
6. How can the commentator say that Husin had a good game?

I could be here all night adding questions. At some point Maher should start making himself accountable. I get it that many options have been taken away from him. But as a coach he's still expected to make decisions. Currently I'm struggling to understand the decisions related to my questions!

Never in a blue moon will KM be sacked. Much more likely he will walk unless finance is given to him to improve a threadbare side. Many will say the club is being run correctly im sure your right. Many will say we are lucky to have club at all to support. I'm sure you are also right. In my opinion though unless money is provided to improve the players that play for this club get used to playing in this league or lower.

We’ll get some moaning comments from Maher about not having the right tools for the job.

Some managers in this league would be licking their lips at some of our players we have.

They’re devoid of any ideas if they don’t snap in to their passing rhythm within the first 5 minutes. Something is wrong. Is it players being pulled up on their pass completion stats and being to scared to try something? Is it bad coaching?

I just don’t think it’s acceptable.
Yeah, Waldron aside, the rest of the injured and the one suspended.
Chuck in GSM, KAF, Moncur mostly, and Collin as a stopper, and I'm not sure the top half of the NL would be banging down our door for the rest.

With no Kenadale and now Taylor I think it makes sense to go to a 4. Both Crowther and Gubbins look uncomfortable when in wide areas. Would consider Hillson for Collin but probably harsh. Going for a lopsided 433 allows us to have Bridge and Walker wide with Bonne in the middle and a balanced midfield. Also allows Ralph to tuck in and GSM to get up the pitch.

Agree it was the wrong lineup and tactics… but you’ve obviously forgotten how bad Campbell (vs Ipswich), Moseley (vs Harrogate), Bond (vs Blackpool) & Brown (take your ****ing pick) were
Great. That's in the past.. why don't we focus on today. Now?

Absolutely ****e. ****e from players. Management. Coaches. And especially Macaulay bonne.

Colin 3. Don't understand how he has his shirt. Awful distribution AGAIN. Gains a point because it wasn't a pen.
Gus 7- not his usual self by another goal.
Crowther 5- bullied.
Foran 6- looked solid.
Gubbins 5. Bambi on ice
Bridge 5- awful defensively let that 7 past 8/9 times. No attacking outlet either.
Morton 5. Lost the ball in crucial areas. Had to check the team sheet to even make sure he was playing.
Noor 5. Not noticable.
Kaf 6- put himself about but not much more.
Moncur 7. Clearly levels above but can't make the rest of them any good.
Bonne 2. Didn't break a sweat. Disinterested. Stealing a wage. **** off.

Kev 2. Love him to bits but awful subs and awful tactics
Was a penalty all day every day

Agree it was the wrong lineup and tactics… but you’ve obviously forgotten how bad Campbell (vs Ipswich), Moseley (vs Harrogate), Bond (vs Blackpool) & Brown (take your ****ing pick) were
Fair point. It's up there with them though. If you can't get basics right there is no hope.

Reactions: GBJ
Awful, dog ****, well beaten

Bonne is a donkey. We struggle to create chances but when he does get one he fluffs it. Hopefully starts on the bench for the next few.

Collin needs benching for a game

Maher's tactics have been found out. He needs to change it

Back