• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

We really need a new keeper, hats off to Collin last year during tough times, but he puts us in trouble 2/3 times a game. He’s a solid back up but we need a proper Number 1 now.

Thought Bridge looked so off the pace, turning into a flat track bully in a way.

Bonne was so isolated. Think the criticism of him is a tad harsh seeing as the service he is getting is minimal at best.

We also massively missed Ralph but thought Gubbins did okay.

Could easily pick something for everyone but these were what stood out for me.

Overal - Sh*t

Tactically wrong from start, 5-4-1 at home is disgusting. Pebble man of the match last Saturday should of started alongside Bonne.
We seem to be being loyal to too many players. Collin is a liability. Bridge is useless and needed to be subbed and even dropped.
Even at 3-1 why are we still persisting with 5 at the back. Other teams would have brought forwards on to try and get back in the game. Maher no worries about letting in more, or he actually doesn't trust any of his defenders to actually defend.
No point signing a centre half when you could have played Wind there from the start or gone 4-4-2 and tried winning the game. We seem to worry about others side rather than let them worry about us.

Maher: "It's really disappointing and really poor. It looked like a team who had been thrown together against a team who had been together a while which is what it was. The first goal is really poor. It's one ball in behind and we should be in that channel defending. The recovery runs are poor and there's hesitancy about the place which you can feel. That's only caused by us and nothing else. We got ourselves back in the game and then at half-time we spoke about a plan of how to build pressure but we do the complete opposite. The goals we give away are scandalous."

There is rightfully going to be a massive negative reaction after that result but Gateshead actually played some really nice football to be fair.

Colin needs a kick up the arse as he looks so shaky all the time and his distribution is shocking. I don't know the answer with him. We know on his day he is a top keeper but he needs a boost in confidence, you can't keep him in the side playing like this but you can't drop him as it'll kill the rest of his confidence.

Bonne should not be playing on his own up top. He is not fit enough or fast enough. He put himself about but right now at least he needs a partner to do the running. I'm really look forward to a Pepple/Walker partnership.

Tiny bright spots on a horrible afternoon being KAF who continues to run himself into the ground at both ends of the pitch, Gubbins who was winning everything, especially in the first half and Walker made an absolute nuisance of himself when he came on.
Spot on

Abject performance outplayed by a superior team

Woeful kicking by Collin continues and Bonne looks like he could play 50 games and wouldn't score, think there is a very good reason he has ended up with us.

Yes the injuries and inability to add to the squad in the off season has cost us, but we were tactically very poor today and woeful subs. Very lacklustre and worrying performance

Kev will remain until a point where relegation looks a real threat in new year, and he’s earns that loyalty. For those wanting Maher out, would you want Currie or Bentley to replace him? Or a new management team?

Not saying I want Kev out but if the club were to pull the trigger, you’d have to say for all three to leave so a completely new team with new ideas could come in. Not that I’d have a scoobie who that would be.

I like Colin but for me just too erratic to be part of a promotion side. Compare his kicking with the Dagenham keeper a couple of weeks back - just not at the same level. If we are going to play out from the back it needs a keeper who can execute that strategy.

Back