• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Gateshead

I thought before the game, given how toothless and devoid of a plan B we would lose this comfortably - and we did.

Even with a full defence this was a tough game, but why are we rolling over so easily? Last season we had squads of 12 and played a million times better. I think we need a more experienced manger, I thank Kev for his work during the tough times, but he and his team have not moved us forward at all.

With the crowds we get and the funds available for wages, we should be a solid top 5 side in this division - we are barely above the bottom 5 - appalling

I can only assume he’s trying to run him into fitness. With one up front he has to work harder. It currently looks like he’s running in quick sand. It’s a pity as he’s adept at winning the flick ons - although with no one ahead of him they are wasted - and has a decent touch but he’s too immobile.

Yep agree, he won his fair share of headers today, but offered very little else up front. As you say, we miss the athleticism and movement that Cardwell offered.

We’re too static up front, which gives the opposition plenty of time to set themselves & nullify us.

Thankfully Walker should be ready to start next week. He made a difference when he came on with his athleticism. Pepple - so impressive last weekend - bizarrely didn’t even get on.

Can only imagine Pep was carrying a knock? Inexplicable he wasn’t brought on.

We may not see Foran again.

We can only hope. I wouldn’t normally write a player off so quickly, but that was up there with Ridgewell’s debut for me.

That performance was disgusting them players don’t deserve the support and most of them ain’t fit to we’re the shirt the club is to big for all of them everyone has to be questioned Maher the players the recruitment has been **** poor when we first come down to this league drawing at Wealdstone and loosing at home convincingly was rightly unacceptable and brown got the sack the football is just as bad as was then maybe it’s time for change
It wasn't very good, for sure. But would that be the same Husin, Bridge, GSM, Morton, Ndi and Wood who played without being paid who 'ain't fit to wear the shirt'?

12 games into a season and already only 4 of the original 11 from the first game available today - we looked a team that had been thrown together.

Criticism of Bonne is harsh, isolated but challenged every high ball and won his fair share.

Back 3 first time together - all did a decent job in isolation but didn’t work well as a unit which is understandable

Collin is starting to cause me real concern - the way we play relies on his distribution which is absolutely **** and getting worse game by game not better

Husin played well in the deeper role, game passed Morton by, Moncur and AF looked most likely to create something

Feel for Maher with the injuries and he deserves the time to build his team so I’ll bite my tongue for this season

A few observations/ thoughts:

Gateshead as expected looked very good with every player knowing their role. They looked to exploit both wings and it paid off handsomely. We were already struggling to adjust to life without Cards and Kensdale. To be missing Ralph and Taylor was a step too far and it affected us hugely.

What's Bim Pepple done? To not even get onto the pitch today was just baffling.
If we were going to play one up front today, then surely he was the man to play that role. He would have at least stretched the Gateshead back line and is capable of holding the ball up with decent service.
Bonne had a game to forget and again looked way off it fitness wise.

The new loanee from Bromley looked way off it and was caught in a poor position for the move leading up to the penalty.

Crowther has developed a worrying tendency to switch off and then be out muscled when defending set pieces. He was caught sleeping again for Gateshead's third.

Moncur should have been hooked after 55 mins. He offered precious little in that second period and looked shot.

I do think we need some competition on the left side for Bridge.... preferably someone with real pace. Jack's been great for us, but we need another option out there.

I'm sure we'll be a bit more like our old selves once Ralph, Taylor and Miley are back, but until then it's inevitable that there will be further bumps in the road.

Not saying I want Kev out but if the club were to pull the trigger, you’d have to say for all three to leave so a completely new team with new ideas could come in. Not that I’d have a scoobie who that would be.
I do wonder if there are two many cooks in the kitchen and having Still, Bentley, Currie and Maher complicates things more than it should..

11 goals conceded in the last 5 games makes life difficult. Kensdale (and Miley) being missed. Plus Cardwell of course doing his bit up front and defending at corners and free kicks. The replacements just not up to it at the moment. Four goals with Pepple and Bonne up front for one game then never to be seen again.

It’s absolutely no surprise we’re struggling for consistency at the minute, considering the number of players that are unavailable/aren’t fully fit/have left. That’s been epitomised by our last three results.

It also takes time for new players to settle, and we still need some more through the door.

At the moment we’re a team in transition; and until we have a settled squad with more depth, we’ll continue to struggle for consistency — both in terms of results and performances — and tactics from an analytical perspective are an afterthought.

We’ve also had an 18 player turnover since last season, and that’s without a pre-season to settle the squad.

Give it time.

It reminds me of the days when we got relegated to league two back in 97/98 season and stayed there for seven seasons. Gloomy stuff.

Poor today but not sure I can agree with the harsh criticism still. Squad has been decimated and looks bereft of confidence.

Entire back three would not have started the first game of the season. Has that impacted on Collin…quite possibly but he looks very much like a man in need of a proper number 1 to challenge him.

Bonne is still coming up to speed (and I actually thought he played pretty well today), Moncur has been overused and looked leggy and partnerships across the pitch still need developing.

Positives are GSM, just having a phenomenal season and KAF, a superb signing and looking like a real find.

Gateshead to their credit played lovely football and look like a really talented side. 3-1 was a fair result although I understand why people are being negative as these losses are starting to mount up.

It’s absolutely no surprise we’re struggling for consistency at the minute, considering the number of players that are unavailable/aren’t fully fit/have left. That’s been epitomised by our last three results.

It also takes time for new players to settle, and we still need some more through the door.

At the moment we’re a team in transition; and until we have a settled squad with more depth, we’ll continue to struggle for consistency — both in terms of results and performances — and tactics from an analytical perspective are an afterthought.

We’ve also had an 18 player turnover since last season, and that’s without a pre-season to settle the squad.

Give it time.
Stop being outrageous and talking sense, it will ruin the tone of the evening.

Back