• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

Don’t get the negativity. A point against a decent side when being nowhere near our best. Training pitches ****e , so not best pre season preparation. This whole situation is new to everyone and will take time . A point a good foundation. That attacking mid to drive forward and create is vital.
New season.first game under new owners and thought atmosphere was dreadful . Block W full of absolute mongs that only made noice when it was something negative

You start with 'Don't get the negativity' , then a large part of your post was 'negative'.
Couldn't make it up - great post

I don't think we looked fit (Kev said we were 2 or 3 weeks away from where we should have been) Thought Walker was poor but then again we did not put it into the areas where he is most effective.

It reminded me of the Euros under Southgate, play well the first 20 minutes then sit back.

A long way to go and we will get better.
Even with all the shenanigans not sure there is an excuse for not being fit. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Don’t get the negativity. A point against a decent side when being nowhere near our best. Training pitches ****e , so not best pre season preparation. This whole situation is new to everyone and will take time . A point a good foundation. That attacking mid to drive forward and create is vital.
New season.first game under new owners and thought atmosphere was dreadful . Block W full of absolute mongs that only made noice when it was something negative
There is a distinction between being negative and just being honest with what your seeing.

Well that was ****.

Second best all over the park, we looked lethargic and devoid of any spark. Felt like a continuation of last season and pre-season where we struggle to score a second goal.

Bridge playing in the middle was totally ineffective & cost us our width and creation today. Joe Gubbins will want to forget that game.

Fair play York. Deserved a point minimum, and probably the better team tbh. Fancied them to be up there this season & on that showing it’s easy to see them doing well.

Good to be back at the Hall, but those kind of performances will not get us out of this league. Major work needed

I was quite clear that we looked extremely undercooked and under prepared during our preseason .. our woeful midfield ( it is woeful it was woeful last year and even weaker this year) will never give us anything other than backwards sides ways ooh to have their little black lad that ran and ran at us all afternoon in our team.

York were literally miles ahead of us across all areas of the park and should have and deserved to win … before you all start patronising me … Maher in his post match interview … we are 2-3 weeks behind where we want to be …. Really ? Why??

Crying out still for that third CM who is going to be creative and drive on the front foot. If we are going to make a big money signing then that’s the one to throw money at.
I agree, but I don’t think that would have stopped York knocking it around very nicely in the 2nd half.

I didn't see us doing any of that, on the contrary everyone apart from Walker were barely making any runs and we were playing direct (with little success) in the hope of knocking it down. It felt more like the kind of rubbish you'd see 20 years ago in League 2.

You’re correct we didn’t do any sprinting - our players can’t- that’s why we should have been beaten today! York ran us off the park but couldn’t create any real chances the quality is appalling - 20 years ago the football was far more exciting- particularly after we signed Freddie Eastwood to go with Mark Gower and Wayne Gray. We even had Adam Barrett and Spencer Prior. Mind you we did lose the first game of the season at home to Cheltenham.

How many serious goal attempts today? Could count them on one hand. Just a bore fest.

York for me looked more match sharp than us, arguably the benefit of shall we say more testing preseason opponents. Yes York had plenty of possession especially 2nd half, although it looked nice a lot of it was in areas that didn't hurt us! I know Kev spoke last season about us being comfortable out of possession and on the whole we defensively coped well in open play, their goal did come from a set piece, but I am always uneasy with the 'modern' coaching thought process that you don't need the ball all the time to influence the game. For me the longer the opposition have it the more chance they have to do something with it! What does influence the modern game is the ability to make game changing subs and York were able to do that today as they benefit from a decent squad size, something we are still chasing! The potential to be able to make 5 tactical changes in a game will benefit those with the right squads and will need to be in that position. I think today backed up the argument of us being a couple of weeks behind where we should be, the encouraging thing for me is that both the management and ownership know what needs to be done. Let's hope we progress things sooner than later, but obviously they need to be the right fit.

IMO York played the much better football and we decided to let them dictate the second half completely. For the first 45 we were ok then it all went to pot. Maybe it was the heat but that is the same for both sides. Happy in the end to have finished with a point.
Couldn't have put it better myself 👍 today highlighted we need at least another 2 players if we are serious about getting out of this league but hey what a day, I am still riding on cloud 9 because we have a football club and simply what goes on on the field to discuss 🤗💙

I was quite clear that we looked extremely undercooked and under prepared during our preseason .. our woeful midfield ( it is woeful it was woeful last year and even weaker this year) will never give us anything other than backwards sides ways ooh to have their little black lad that ran and ran at us all afternoon in our team.

York were literally miles ahead of us across all areas of the park and should have and deserved to win … before you all start patronising me … Maher in his post match interview … we are 2-3 weeks behind where we want to be …. Really ? Why??
If it’s lack of pre season preparation we’re bemoaning then why try a totally new tactic come KO (Bridge in a more central role) .. that’s surely something you try before competitive games start. Small moan though and maybe Bridgey had nailed it in training.

I and I am sure most of us were glad to be back today.
I wasn’t feeling the feeling enthusiasm as much as I normally do but that was more down to April no longer being there but, once the game started all was ok.
So nice to see a decent crowd

Felt the first half we were ok but York was a lot more slick and their passing was better too.
2nd half was York just pressing and it was only a matter of time before they equalised
This was a point gained today rather than 2 points lost but let’s look on the positive side - we have a club and we are unbeaten but, we will have to raise our game if we are to be knocking on the door of leaving this league come the end of the season

Oh and I apologise for
If it’s lack of pre season preparation we’re bemoaning then why try a totally new tactic come KO (Bridge in a more central role) .. that’s surely something you try before competitive games start. Small moan though and maybe Bridgey had nailed it in training.
He also played quite deep (as did coker). They seem to play alongside Miley and yet we still get played through. Perhaps if he was pushed further forward or our players played it forward more and less predictably.

After all the hype this game didn't deliver whilst York looked very sharp in contrast we looked very lethargic.As we all know it's a long season it's a marathon not a sprint Kev knows the problem so best to judge after a decent number of games.

Back