• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

No penertration, either down the flanks or through the middle. 1st half was fairly even Stevens with a decent goal for us. 2nd half was a struggle and but some poor finishing by York who scored and had another 3/4 decent chances we could have well finished with a defeat. York look well drilled and had some good interplay around our area. Happy with the point.

A bit meh really wasn’t it, walking in to the ground and seeing packed stands felt so good and was really looking forward to the game.
Take the point and go again I suppose 🤷‍♂️
Pitch wasn’t great, scoreboard gave up and when did drinking pints of beer in the family stand become a thing

We're talking about football and not off the pitch matters.

That's a win IMO
But how long did it take the Doom Mongers and East Stand "We love it when we lose cause then we can moan" to get on the Keyboards!!
Yes we are under cooked, we need more players but for Goodness sake we have only been a proper Football club again for 22 Days!! Feel like we need to cut them some slack here and God Forbid get behind them like we did during the Dark days!!

COTB

But how long did it take the Doom Mongers and East Stand "We love it when we lose cause then we can moan" to get on the Keyboards!!
Yes we are under cooked, we need more players but for Goodness sake we have only been a proper Football club again for 22 Days!! Feel like we need to cut them some slack here and God Forbid get behind them like we did during the Dark days!!

COTB
Was you down the front of the east, north bank end, celebrating when we scored?

Firstly great to be back as at one stage this summer it seemed that today would never happen. Great to see the ground full although the atmosphere wasn’t as good as I thought it would be.

Turning to the game, we were thrashed 1 : 1, second half was really poor and don’t think me made 4 consecutive passes, also I’ve never seen us play long so much. Forwards only had scraps to feed off and wingbacks never got forward , our usual game just wasn’t there. That said, for all their possession they didn’t create much and clearly defence will be out strong point again..but let’s see what further signings we make

Still it’s early days and if you play badly and pick up points then we are in for a decent season. Liked the look of Walker and Gubbins, Cav played well breaking up play…rest pretty meh

IMO York played the much better football and we decided to let them dictate the second half completely. For the first 45 we were ok then it all went to pot. Maybe it was the heat but that is the same for both sides. Happy in the end to have finished with a point.
what he said.

Bridge doesn’t work in the middle.

MOTM 1st half - Cav
MOTM 2nd half - Collin

Good to be back though 💙🦐

Attachments

• IMG_6328.jpeg
    IMG_6328.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 96
Bizarre substitutions from KM.

We went from secure but ineffective with Gubbins on to insecure and ineffective with him off as Bridge had a poor game and corrected it too late by replacing him with Croker. Why take off Coker and bring on Waldron and move Walker to midfield and then take off Walker for Wood shortly afterwards?

Think I’ll stick to Football Manager on my PC!!

Terrible second half.
Our midfield combos just don’t work.
Not enough control, which leads to a lack of attacking intent.

Play what you always play, get what you always get.

First game of the season done and in the end a good draw. RH looked great with packed stands and a good atmosphere. Really felt like a special day. Football was a bit meh! We scored early with a well taken goal but if we are honest we offered very little thereafter. York looked stronger, fitter and quicker than our lads who really struggled as the game wore on.

Don’t think the Bridge experiment worked at all but then we havnt been playing like that in pre season so an odd thing to do. He looked completely lost and even then once at LWB offered little today. Walker showed some nice touches and Cardwell worked hard but with practically no service at all. We hardly got behind them on either flank and other than a Morton shot at the keeper and a Bridge shot wide I don’t think we had any other effort. York for the dominance also created little and the only save of note was the one that led to the corner that’s they scored from. So defence wise we looked ok but worryingly going forward we looked poor. See Kev saying we are a few weeks behind other teams and that may well be the case so we may look back on today as a good result. We are clearly still missing that spark in midfield and someone to drive through the middle which was missing last season. So a tough start but not a disaster in the end

Scoreboard - loved it and it gave us so funny moments. Second started with us 0-0, then the clock reset to 00:00, then disappeared. At one point in the first half it said injury time sponsored by, we were in the 17th minute I think. But all in all it worked well and once used properly with be a good addition to roots hall.

Display was ok, but hard when you have gaps in some areas but was a good effort by the club

Roll in to Hartlepool next week for another tough game

I don't think we looked fit (Kev said we were 2 or 3 weeks away from where we should have been) Thought Walker was poor but then again we did not put it into the areas where he is most effective.

It reminded me of the Euros under Southgate, play well the first 20 minutes then sit back.

A long way to go and we will get better.

Taylor deservedly MOTM, Collin would be second. Gus looked up for it at the start but that drifted away after his goal. Barely noticed Coker and Bridge. Gubbins had a shocker but that does not mean he is a bad player. York were a very good team and in time, I predict, we will say getting a point off them is actually a good result.
Oh and the ref was pants but consistently pants against both teams!

Back