• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 York City

Firstly. Amazing to be back. Hairs standing on end. Was super excited to be at roots hall. Couldn't stop smiling. Probably an anti climax tbh but it's a point.

1st half

Ok. Pressed well and had a few opportunities. Still no clear cut opportunities. First 30 mins pushed forward reasonably well although it was... Win ball pass it back pass it sideways and hoof for cardwell to flick on to walker. Liked walker btw. Last 15 we had 5 at the back, midfield deep and strikers trying to press and York playing some neat passing triangles.

2nd half

We took the last 15 minutes of the first half and ramped up the long balls and hoping for a mistake and defending the lead. (I'm sure thats what we did last year.) York changed shape to 3 at the back and Nathaniel George coming on he showed having a creative attacking player can unlock an opportunity (the set piece coming from his play). We had one awesome opportunity which we thought was in. We can't rely on half chances and and balls dropping to a player that might be able to tuck one away. Too much ball to the opposition, too much chasing the ball.

Lots more to do but we still have a team to watch and 7900 fans. Amazing

Agree they look fitter than us but our midfield 3 are too much the same and sit back allowing them to have the ball. Desperately need forward thinking midfielders (x2) with pace who can drive the team forward and break the lines. At the moment it’s too one dimensional.

Secondly, the quality of their subs were far better than ours which shows where we are lacking.

For me we need 4 players still, 2 in midfield that different to what we have and with pace. Another forward with serious pace and goal threat and an another Gk.
We already got an new keeper.

Felt like we weren't match fit, was very slow and lethargic. York will be disappointed to come away with a draw, it took them a while to get into the match but they were all over us by the end, 15 more minutes and they'd have won.

I know he was crap half the time but that's the kind of match Fonguck would come on for and brighten everything up, hopefully Peddler can be that man if he signs.

What impressed me about York was the speed they managed to get 5 players into their forward line. Caused GSM/Taylor problems 1st half. But for all their possession they didn't do too much with it until 5/10mins left.
York was targeting GSM as they know if GSM mistimed his tackle, he would be off.

Thought we were totally 'under cooked' and not match ready.
Always felt the pre season schedule wasn't challenging enough , but maybe deliberately so to manage the small squad , so I get that to a certain extent.
We are at present , very predictable and have nobody in midfield that can drive forward with the ball.
Like most though I am very grateful to have a club to support.
Hopefully things improve but I think there is lots to be done ( on and off the pitch ).
I've never taken much of a pointer on game one but I think we may be another year or two away from what we need for promotion.
Let's just enjoy the day though.
UTB

Goodness me. What utter dross that was. Modern football eh. Collin made a couple of decent saves and their keeper just had one powder puff to easily catch . Whatever happened to goal mouth excitement? So the game is now about running as fast as you can and tippy tippy backwards sideways passing all in the name of possession football. The most excitement came from the errors at the back most of which were not capitalised on.

Our goal - a free kick from a ridiculous challenge on Gus headed in by Gus. Hint of offside? We then decided to defend for the rest of the game. Maybe Wiggy has a point?

So modern football - 11 players can run and run and two of them can be changed and then another two and then another one. Not much chance on capitalising on tiredness.

We’ve not learned anything or improved much on last season when our home record was pretty dismal. Walker looked quick and powerful - should have kept him on.

York were better than us because they were quicker and more athletic. Bridge, Miley, Coker, Moreton and Wood are not quick in comparison.

Their equaliser - from the oldest man on the pitch - someone with a football brain.

And no one should complain about opposing keepers wasting time - Collin is a master at it!

It can only get better!

1st half
York passed the ball around and didn't let us touch it. We did touch it once or twice and scored from a set piece.
2nd half York passed the ball around and didn't let us touch it. They scored from a set piece.
Were we that bad? Literally couldn't get the ball off York.
Were York that good?

Don’t get the negativity. A point against a decent side when being nowhere near our best. Training pitches ****e , so not best pre season preparation. This whole situation is new to everyone and will take time . A point a good foundation. That attacking mid to drive forward and create is vital.
New season.first game under new owners and thought atmosphere was dreadful . Block W full of absolute mongs that only made noice when it was something negative

Agree they look fitter than us but our midfield 3 are too much the same and sit back allowing them to have the ball. Desperately need forward thinking midfielders (x2) with pace who can drive the team forward and break the lines. At the moment it’s too one dimensional.

Secondly, the quality of their subs were far better than ours which shows where we are lacking.

For me we need 4 players still, 2 in midfield that different to what we have and with pace. Another forward with serious pace and goal threat and an another Gk.
Was going to post a thought but your post is exactly what I was going to write. Sums up the situation perfectly.

So the game is now about running as fast as you can and tippy tippy backwards sideways passing all in the name of possession football.
I didn't see us doing any of that, on the contrary everyone apart from Walker were barely making any runs and we were playing direct (with little success) in the hope of knocking it down. It felt more like the kind of rubbish you'd see 20 years ago in League 2.

Well that was ****.

Second best all over the park, we looked lethargic and devoid of any spark. Felt like a continuation of last season and pre-season where we struggle to score a second goal.

Bridge playing in the middle was totally ineffective & cost us our width and creation today. Joe Gubbins will want to forget that game.

Fair play York. Deserved a point minimum, and probably the better team tbh. Fancied them to be up there this season & on that showing it’s easy to see them doing well.

Good to be back at the Hall, but those kind of performances will not get us out of this league. Major work needed
This. Couldn't put it better myself.
Why were most of the direct balls being hit to Walker in the first half??

Back