• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Solihull Moors 2-4 Southend United

What good day out and pleasure to spend it with so many positive Shrimpers. I Was confident of us scoring at least 3 because Tangled had predicted a bad day. Loved the quality of their pitch and at last Kev had the option of 2 up top and to keep people happy.

You could argue that Moors done us favour by not pressing as hard as other teams. But the better the pitch the harder it is to force a mistake. If only we had had the money for fertiliser back in May. Results have have been better at RH so far.

Despite the result being 4-2 we didn't create as many chances as we did against Eastleigh or Sutton. What we did do is score some great goals from good individual play.

Rightly a lot of praise for KAF. Keep your eyes on his run for the goal. A CM running beyond the front 2 and Crowther? delivering a real decent straight ball from the half way line......Is this the new SUFC I'm watching. Great control and swept into the far corner. KAF was also busy on and off the ball all day.

Shout out to Collin for safe hands and kicking all day.

My MOM by a long way was Pepple. The young lad forced through unfortunate circumstances to lead the line on his own up at Oldham has blossomed nicely in just couple of weeks. First goal he showed good reaction to the pass. Strength, turned his man nicely and then had only one thing in his mind. Another one passed with pace into the far corner. A confident finish on a confident pitch. Just what you want from someone up top.

They did have too much room down our left. That's the price you pay with JB at so called LWB. Again a crisp finish that no keeper would save but Crowther could have done a lot better on the block. So slightly nervous HT beer for a few. Their food van is always great and we could learn from them.

Pepple does really well to hold the ball and then set up Goal Scott Morris. Watch him set off into the box whilst their lad is asleep. Positive and hit with pace. Gus earned his deflection and his celebration.

Harry T was bit unlucky with the pen. He was trying to block a cross not tackle. But the ref was on the blind side and their lad knew what he was doing.

Still never mind Bim isn't just target man he showed bit of Fox in the Box with his second goal. Great to see him rattling their keeper on corners. Watch out for our fans joining in as the corner is taken. Bon showed yet again how good he is at the near post with great flick and Pepple has done exactly the right thing by moving off the keeper by a yard to score. Ref can't give one of those cheap fouls on the keeper and the defender behind plays him onside but can't clear the ball either.

Saving him for Tuesday was the correct decision as was bringing on Gubbins at 4-2. Any nervous doubts disappeared when they put one over the bar from 2yds. Our celebrations were cut short by a monsoon.

Last edited:
Finally, Kev playing the team/formation I want right now and its paid dividends.

KAF - 9* Monster of a performance, just what we've been lacking in MF. Someone to carry the ball out rather than tap 5 yards sideways. Has to stay in.
Agree with both of these, it’s about time we played attacking football, we really took the handbrake off and played just like promotion teams of past scoring goals for fun but also understanding with attacking football comes a few conceded goals. Despite our defence notoriously being immense under Kev I’ve always considered us a complete attacking team and with our current assembly of players, once all fit can score goals after goals this year if we allow them and support them with the proper style of football.

I highlighted the bit about KAF carrying the ball, football can be such an easy game and someone who is willing to drive through the midfield horrifies the opposition because no matter how good your defensive shape is, if someone is willing to slice straight through the middle of that then you’re always in for a tough day.

Regardless if we have no central midfielders I never want to see Bridge playing on the inside, he is a pure bred winger and is very good at what he does, I’d like to think management have learnt this now.

Superb performance and great support.

A very pleasing afternoon and proof that if the opposition stand off us, we can tear them apart with our pass and move. Aided by additional energy of KAF and two up top who played so well together. Pepple was immense with his ability to hold defenders off receive the ball and turn and drive st goal. Still some frailties at the back but I will take that if we can outscore the opposition. Great banter amongst our fans and our party was one of those that was “you’re getting wet”. Nice to hear Solihull manager giving an honest appraisal stating we was far superior and gave them their two goals and they was not earnt. Mentioned Macauley Bonne who he thought was outstanding. A really great away day all round.

Andeng-Ndi 7
Taylor 7.5
Crowther 8
Ralph 7.5
GSM 7.5
KAF 8.5
Husin 7
Moncur 7.5
Bridge 7
Pepple 9 MOTM
Bonne 8

Gubbins 6
Morton 6
Wood 5.5

Bim Pepple MOTM for me again a performance which showed glimpses of the clever play of a Welbeck and strength of Antonio. A great asset for us and willing worker and foil for Bonne. Oh and Lawrie Walker did you have a good day, payback is a bitch. This is the right formation for our team, onwards and upwards UTB

Last edited:
What a way to celebrate my 1000th game. A really solid performance and yes once again we gifted two goals away but overall we were full value for our win. How I wish we could play them every week. Formation and team selections spot on. Pleased to see two up top and both Pepple and Boone deserve huge credit. Midfield was slick with the little pocket rocket KAF having a great game, Husin and Moncur put in a decent shift. Defence once again looked far more solid with Crowther looking better with Ralph by his side. Bridge still worries me slightly again and even back in his more familiar position didn’t hit the heights we are used to. Gus simply not enough words to describe the lad. Colin solid in goal and his kicking was much better and certainly there was less passing around at the back. As for the 464 travelling shrimpers fantastic support yet again. All four goals were well worked in their own right with both KAF and Pepple doing the simple of thing of hitting the target but their movement and control made the chances. Gus got a bit of luck with his goal but again his movement was a delight. Bonne won a great header for Pepple to score the 4th.

Same team again Tuesday please Kev and no doubt another huge following will be at Wealdstone. A game we should go into with confidence and three points should be there if we play like we did today.

Thanks for all the congrats I got today and even had a message from Justin which was nice. My first game was stood with my dad, sadly no longer with us. Today I stood with my mum, son and nephew. We are a true shrimper family
What I want to know is how you kept tally of a 1,000, lol?
I suppose I could go back to 1961, and guess. But there were seasons, 80-87 comes to mind, where I can't remember if I saw a particular game or not.
Fair play for keeping count.

What a way to celebrate my 1000th game. A really solid performance and yes once again we gifted two goals away but overall we were full value for our win. How I wish we could play them every week. Formation and team selections spot on. Pleased to see two up top and both Pepple and Boone deserve huge credit. Midfield was slick with the little pocket rocket KAF having a great game, Husin and Moncur put in a decent shift. Defence once again looked far more solid with Crowther looking better with Ralph by his side. Bridge still worries me slightly again and even back in his more familiar position didn’t hit the heights we are used to. Gus simply not enough words to describe the lad. Colin solid in goal and his kicking was much better and certainly there was less passing around at the back. As for the 464 travelling shrimpers fantastic support yet again. All four goals were well worked in their own right with both KAF and Pepple doing the simple of thing of hitting the target but their movement and control made the chances. Gus got a bit of luck with his goal but again his movement was a delight. Bonne won a great header for Pepple to score the 4th.

Same team again Tuesday please Kev and no doubt another huge following will be at Wealdstone. A game we should go into with confidence and three points should be there if we play like we did today.

Thanks for all the congrats I got today and even had a message from Justin which was nice. My first game was stood with my dad, sadly no longer with us. Today I stood with my mum, son and nephew. We are a true shrimper family
And I am guessing there will be a few new grounds this season? Boston, Sutton, Braintree?

Two extra thoughts. There was a noticeable decrease in the number of back passes to Collin, and very few short passes out from the goalkeeper to the defence. Collin went long and was being told to. Kev was shouting and gesticulating that he should aim for mid point of the Moors half, and on the left. Much better, low risk and more direct. We picked up lots of the second balls from this tactic.
And this was the first PMT that no one has mentioned Cardwell. We move on.

Two extra thoughts. There was a noticeable decrease in the number of back passes to Collin, and very few short passes out from the goalkeeper to the defence. Collin went long and was being told to. Kev was shouting and gesticulating that he should aim for mid point of the Moors half, and on the left. Much better, low risk and more direct. We picked up lots of the second balls from this tactic.
easier to do that when you have two strikers up top rather than just two bodies who don't have the physicality trying their best. that's not a dig at Kev, he can only pick who is available

easier to do that when you have two strikers up top rather than just two bodies who don't have the physicality trying their best. that's not a dig at Kev, he can only pick who is available
Also you have two forwards who are both good in the air, and of course Gus down the right- so bigger target/more options

Also you have two forwards who are both good in the air, and of course Gus down the right- so bigger target/more options
exactly. the injuries and Cardwell going mean we've not had the usual strength up top, so if the ball goes long we'd turn it over. but with two proper strikers who are strong enough, fast enough, mobile enough, and good enough in the air everything changes

There was very little if any pressure put on the defenders hence they didn't need to pass back much as they always had time to turn, head up and pass.

...until now, lol!

Missed lunch because of the challenging drive, so bought a pastie at half time. Superb, scalding hot but not overcooked, full of meat (goat? horse? capybara?) and at £4 worth every penny. No queue. We could do well to source pasties at the Hall from the same supplier.
Capybara? Blimey! I had to look it up! Better on the barbecue or roasted in the oven would you think?

Back