• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Solihull Moors 2-4 Southend United

Missed lunch because of the challenging drive, so bought a pastie at half time. Superb, scalding hot but not overcooked, full of meat (goat? horse? capybara?) and at £4 worth every penny. No queue. We could do well to source pasties at the Hall from the same supplier.
Being from that 'neck of the woods', it's got to be a mole!

Thanks :Thumbs up: Walker and Coker back over the next couple of weeks would transform our bench options. Possibly a signing or two as well would be great. I think Collin needs to feel a bit more pressure from a credible alternative on the bench (like David Martin was).

Why would you want to waste money doing that and what would it achieve ?

Why would you want to waste money doing that and what would it achieve ?
I wouldn’t want to waste any money.

I don’t think making him believe he needs to play well and earn his right to his spot in the team is a bad thing. In fact it’s a very good thing. I trust our football department to find a decent credible alternative, so no money would be ‘wasted’.

By the way just because you don’t consider something a priority, it doesn’t make it ‘wasteful’.

It seems to be case that James Hillsom isn’t seen as credible enough competition. If that’s true, then if Collin is injured or gets sent off then we are out there with a begging bowl again to get a keeper in sharpish.

I’d prefer we just sort out the number 2 position properly so Collin knows if he has a few dodgy games (which he certainly has had this season) then he might lose his place. i don’t want him to lose his place, but at the moment he knows he’s playing no matter how good or bad his form is.

I wouldn’t want to waste any money.

I don’t think making him believe he needs to play well and earn his right to his spot in the team is a bad thing. In fact it’s a very good thing. I trust our football department to find a decent credible alternative, so no money would be ‘wasted’.

By the way just because you don’t consider something a priority, it doesn’t make it ‘wasteful’.

It seems to be case that James Hillsom isn’t seen as credible enough competition. If that’s true, then if Collin is injured or gets sent off then we are out there with a begging bowl again to get a keeper in sharpish.

I’d prefer we just sort out the number 2 position properly so Collin knows if he has a few dodgy games (which he certainly has had this season) then he might lose his place. i don’t want him to lose his place, but at the moment he knows he’s playing no matter how good or bad his form is.

A new keeper would only be of any value if they were clearly better than Collin. A stronger 2nd choice or even an equal would be a waste of time and money. Keeper loans are easier for Kev to arrange and plenty of choice available.

There is no suggestion or evidence that Collin might have sneaky Wes days (doing just enough) or not fancying it at certain away grounds. He was my player of the season last year for an incredible season of improvement. Along with Harry C, he was the reason we were not relegated.

It was a run of guaranteed games that helped make him the best young keeper in the NL. A few sliced clearances, a Gubbins OG or even a unmarked Fylde player with a free header from 5 yds hasn't changed that.

A new keeper would only be of any value if they were clearly better than Collin. A stronger 2nd choice or even an equal would be a waste of time and money. Keeper loans are easier for Kev to arrange and plenty of choice available.

There is no suggestion or evidence that Collin might have sneaky Wes days (doing just enough) or not fancying it at certain away grounds. He was my player of the season last year for an incredible season of improvement. Along with Harry C, he was the reason we were not relegated.

It was a run of guaranteed games that helped make him the best young keeper in the NL. A few sliced clearances, a Gubbins OG or even a unmarked Fylde player with a free header from 5 yds hasn't changed that.
Nobody is suggesting any of the things you say there is no evidence for. So they are probably irrelevant points on that basis.

Yes, Collin was brilliant last season - he hasn't been this season though with a fair old number of miskicks, dodgy passes out at the back and other things that he didn't do as much of last season. IMO, Collin last season was better than Collin (so far) this season. We know he's a character, with that self-inflicted injury last season (off the pitch) and one or two other moments where he caught the wrath of Kev. Dave Martin played quite a few games - and did a great job. Collin had to work his way back into the team.

Fine, you don't agree mate, that's what forums are for - opinions. For me, GK is a crucial position and Collin needs to sharpen his game up because he's had far too many dodgy moments so far.

Nobody is suggesting any of the things you say there is no evidence for. So they are probably irrelevant points on that basis.

Yes, Collin was brilliant last season - he hasn't been this season though with a fair old number of miskicks, dodgy passes out at the back and other things that he didn't do as much of last season. IMO, Collin last season was better than Collin (so far) this season. We know he's a character, with that self-inflicted injury last season (off the pitch) and one or two other moments where he caught the wrath of Kev. Dave Martin played quite a few games - and did a great job. Collin had to work his way back into the team.

Fine, you don't agree mate, that's what forums are for - opinions. For me, GK is a crucial position and Collin needs to sharpen his game up because he's had far too many dodgy moments so far.

A fair reply. As someone rightly pointed out on this thread we did not over use Collin yesterday and the result was he looked more confident and collected so good crosses well off his line.

If Dave Martin was still with us I'm sure he would have been more proactive in stopping some of the tight back passes and lack of options that caused some of those 'dodgy' moments. Not helped of course with very little up top until yesterday.

Crowther played great ball for our first goal yesterday. Just a week ago, from the same area we may have gone back to Collin.

Credit to Bonne for coming deeper and drawing in their back 4. That allows KAF to make his run behind. If you watch the highlights KAF sets off the moment its going to Crowther. So a move that has been worked on.

Bonne also pulls the last defender away to create space for Bim to drive into for his first goal. Bonne does the same for the GSM goal and then a great flick for the 4th.

When someone starts posting on here minutes played v lack of goals for Bonne. It will be worth remembering that good movement for 3 assists without touching the ball will never show up in the stats section.

At least the Solihull manager noticed it. Unless of course he got in a muddle over the names of our two forwards.

Last edited:
Missed lunch because of the challenging drive, so bought a pastie at half time. Superb, scalding hot but not overcooked, full of meat (goat? horse? capybara?) and at £4 worth every penny. No queue. We could do well to source pasties at the Hall from the same supplier.
Was that from the van outside the away end fantastic bacon roll full of meat and cheeseburgers.The monsters hot dogs looked good as well

Sincere apologies to all Shrimper Zoners for the lack of a Matchday Vlog.....................................I was getting married yesterday and son, D1 was in attendance with his good lady and their children...woo hoo 💒 🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺
Normal service, I am assured will be resumed next week
Many congratulations on the nuptials.

A fair reply. As someone rightly pointed out on this thread we did not over use Collin yesterday and the result was he looked more confident and collected so good crosses well off his line.

If Dave Martin was still with us I'm sure he would have been more proactive in stopping some of the tight back passes and lack of options that caused some of those 'dodgy' moments. Not helped of course with very little up top until yesterday.

Crowther played great ball for our first goal yesterday. Just a week ago, from the same area we have have gone back to Collin.

Credit to Bonne for coming deeper and drawing in their back 4. That allows KAF to make his run behind. If you watch the highlights KAF sets off the moment its going to Crowther. So a move that has been worked on.

Bonne also pulls the last defender away to create space for Bim to drive into for his first goal. Bonne does the same for the GSM goal and then a great flick for the 4th.

When someone starts posting on here minutes played v lack of goals for Bonne. It will be worth remembering that good movement for 3 assists without touching the ball will never show up in the stats section.

At least the Solihull manager noticed it. Unless of course he got in a muddle over the names of our two forwards.
Agreed, absolutely, on the point about not over-using Collin. He has been seeing rather a lot of the ball on the floor in recent games, so it was good to see this settle down a touch against Solihull.

Kensdale was such an important part of our defence - and he was great at those mazy jogs forward with the ball, like Hobson was. Crowther seems to have that in his game too as you say, and as he continues to establish himself hopefully this will continue. I think it will, and in 10 games' time a fully fledged Crowther might miraculously have mitigated the loss of Kensdale.

All of that will help Collin, and (fingers crossed) when it does, our defence might once again become nigh on impregnable.

Back