• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Shower of **** FC… Who did you play for?

I had a go at first level coaching badge with Geoff Hutson taking the sessions. Trevor Roberts was also part of the coaching beginners. At the end of the sessions we would have an x a side and Trevor insisted on being a centre forward. He was a big bloke (in so many ways) and no one argued.

On the Sunday mornings front, I occasionally guested for Ferndale as I was a mate of Steve Knight (Jack Knight's son, the Ferndale manager). There were some very tasty players in that squad.

I played for Ferndale in the late 80's. Jack Knight was coming to end of his managerial career. I popped in to see him a few times on caravan site in Hullbridge as I was living nearby at the time.

Went on to play for Rayleigh Avenue. Tyrant of manger known locally as Wivs.

Played on the same pitch on Saturdays for Rayleigh Athletic.

Wow this takes me back and I hoped I haven't forgotten any.....

Porters Grange Primary School
Thames Park Youth
Southchurch Rovers
Thames Park ( yes getting changed at Leigh Marshes was fun)
Great Wakering Rovers for many years but never anywhere near 1st team... or Reserves come to that!

Sundays:

Eltonians
Spartek
Fleetlines
Great Wakering Rovers Vets

plus the odd Weds League match with Leigh Fire Brigade.

Thames Park Youth
Southchurch Rovers
Great Wakering Rovers for many years but never anywhere near 1st team... or Reserves come to that!

Was that in the days of Barry Beadle Les Stubbs and co? That was a pretty damn good side.

Les was my father in law.... played with him in 3rd team when he was in his 50s (I still wasn't very good!) Barry RIP was probably my best friend. GWR had a fantastic team back in the day (still have now too).
Warm memories. I played against Mr Beadle in a 5 aside tournament at King Gerges playing fields once in Rayleigh and he reminded me that he was very good and I wasn't, skinned me the whole match!

Hamstel School
Thorpe Colts (U 12)
Bournes Green Rovers (U15)
Trinity (that my Dad founded with Roy Plummer)
Shoebury School (Every year plus the Wednesday League which was fun!)
BRSA
Spartek
Sporting Academicals

Plus a few guest appearances in Cambridge for my brother’s various teams.

And I was brilliant for every team 🤣

I played for Crowstone Peparatory School..........just thought everyone would like to know. That was probably the peak of my footballing career.:Smile2: In the fifties footy was difficult for boys in glasses
The joys of private education. I was at St Pierre in the early 70's we got to play the cream of private schools in the area. Mostly losing every game as we had very few over 13 years old and 2 or 3 who were 15. Can't remember now who, but a couple of Blues players were on the PT staff, but they had little to work with. We did beat Thorpe Bay, I scored the winning goal, a school hero as that was our only win in 20 years.

Hamstel School
Thorpe Colts (U 12)
Bournes Green Rovers (U15)
Trinity (that my Dad founded with Roy Plummer)
Shoebury School (Every year plus the Wednesday League which was fun!)
BRSA
Spartek
Sporting Academicals

Plus a few guest appearances in Cambridge for my brother’s various teams.

And I was brilliant for every team 🤣
My old man played for and managed a lot for Trinity in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Who’s your Dad?

Thames Park Youth
Southchurch Rovers

Sundays:

Eltonians
Spartek
Fleetlines

Hi Trevor, hope you are keeping okay because we all miss you, young Steve and the chocolate biscuits in the Green Seats. Anyway I see you mentioned the wonderful Wakering Fleetlines or Fleepits as they were known back in the day when I played for them for a couple of years between 1969 -1971. Ironically many years later when I was the Chairman of Southend United Supporters Club Football Club (that's a bit of a mouthful to say the least) we actually replaced Fleetlines in the Southend Sunday League when they got kicked out which was possibly in the late 80's. I am fairly certain Whispering Bob will remember as he is a lot younger than me.

Back