• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Shower of **** FC… Who did you play for?

Claim to fame , i suppose my claim to fame is when i was playing for Clayton as i said above we was a 5th division Metropolitan league side ,and we made the final of what was the FA CUP FOR METROPOLITAN AND STATE LEAGUE TEAMS , The final was played at Olympic park in front of a very large crowd
Our opponents were Melbourne Croatia who were at that time Australian champions with many of that side in the Australian national tam that qualified for the 1974 World cup finals , yes we lost but just 3-1 which was to us and the powers that be in the Metropolitan league a win win .
The president came into our dressing room after the game to congratulate us and awarded me man of the match .

1960/61 Earls Hall Junior school - Playing up 1 year
62/66 Fairfax High school - played for Southend and District Schools
1965 Hampton Rovers
1966/67 White Ensign - played Borough Comb Prem at 15
1968/76 Hewlyn Athletic & Barhams/Cricketers/Southend Sports
1980/84 Hewlyn Athletic & Southend Sports
1992/94 Courtlands Vets - last game in a forward line of Malcolm Slater, Bill Garner, me and Peter Taylor.
2001 A Hewlyn old Boys friendly against The Brewers Arms, only game played with my son, and scored with a header from his cross with 10 mins left and then immediately asking to be subbed - my last game of football.

Oh wow some teams there.
I remember (I think I must have been around 10 or 11yrs) my dad along with a couple of others starting up the Southend Junior League - was mad coming and goings at our house.
I used to watch the Southend United Supporters Club play every Sunday back in the 80’s and all I have is great memories of those times and the fun we used to have and all of us (well almost all” remain friends today and I was privileged to be part of it.
As my son got older he played for the Zone and then the Shrimperzone Ladies was formed and hence was a no brainer to be involved with them. I even managed to play in goal a couple of times when we were short of players.

I think Apes gets her love of the game from me or I would like to think so

I played against Bill Garner quite a few times in the vets and being a central defender I bumped into him a good few times and I can confirm he was as hard as nails but was always first with the first aid haha.
I always remember I once got the ball off Peter Taylor, again the vets league, in a sliding tackle and for some reason I was as pleased as punch.
I loved playing in the vets as there were a lot of very good players out enjoying their Sunday football.

Saturdays, one club for me Leigh Ramblers between 1985 - 2016 (ish). Sundays Rusty Bucket, Catholic and and unfit injured period for Shrimperzone.....never really got going on a Sunday for some reason Saturdays were always better

Played one trial game at centre half for Rochford Rangers(?), not asked back.
I actually had a trial with the Blues in the late 1960's. I was hoicked off after about 15 minutes, but I can say I played on the pitch and changed in the home dressing room. I made it as high as Div VI of the Southend and District League though.

Last edited:
Also played for Prittlewell United from 76-80. Loved that time playing sunday mornings.
We started off as Southend utd supporters club team,hence we wore that great old 68-69 RED Southend United away shirt.
Remember people seeing us for the first time wearing that grand old shirt...they thought "bloody hell they must be good"....then the first time i got the ball they realised any team with me in it cannot be much good
The other good players always helped me out..i think even in his later years Stephen Hawking was a better footballer than i was

Back