• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Shower of **** FC… Who did you play for?

Leigh Marshes was Southchurch Rovers home ground and we were due to play the army lads from shoeburyness, their captain took one look at the pitch and got the officer in charge to take us all back to the garrison to play the match. We got to play both games there, it was like playing at Wembley! It was the tailend of national service and they had a team that contained some Scottish amateur internationals and Southend reserve keeper Jim Tennett.
The company I worked for in the 70's did a lot of work with HighTec we played them a Leigh once or twice then moved to Canvey sports centre for better facilities. HighTec in those days had a lot of WetSpam juniors working for them so for the first few games we got done 10-0 - 7-0 but once we worked them out it was by the odd goal. Even hired a real ref for the games, very posh.

Earls Hall School
Wenham Sports
Homestead
Rochford United
Tesco Southend
Chemico

Then in London:-
Gleeds London
East Fulham Labour ( with Ron Springett as our centre forward)
A n other

Then in Cornwall:-
Threemilestone
Truro Hendra
Penryn Athletic
E Thomas Construction
Old Quay Inn

Last edited:
Hi Trevor, hope you are keeping okay because we all miss you, young Steve and the chocolate biscuits in the Green Seats. Anyway I see you mentioned the wonderful Wakering Fleetlines or Fleepits as they were known back in the day when I played for them for a couple of years between 1969 -1971. Ironically many years later when I was the Chairman of Southend United Supporters Club Football Club (that's a bit of a mouthful to say the least) we actually replaced Fleetlines in the Southend Sunday League when they got kicked out which was possibly in the late 80's. I am fairly certain Whispering Bob will remember as he is a lot younger than me.
I was playing for Fleetlines 1st XI when we were kicked out, mostly for the misdemeanours of the 2nds and 3rds. Think it was the end of 1987-88 season.

Back