• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say it again Colchester council had there groung built And they pay rent to the council .Colcherster council are in as much debt as our council .So whay is it some are against the council putting a small amount to help clkear the debt on a loan bases .Is some would rather see the club go to the wall .

Don't think any of us fans are against it, if it saved us. We question whether that will happen at short notice, whether it will actually solve anything and if they are just political point scoring on the back of Anna highlighting our situation......That and decades of not giving two f***s about SUFC until the last minute.

Don't think any of us fans are against it, if it saved us. We question whether that will happen at short notice, whether it will actually solve anything and if they are just political point scoring on the back of Anna highlighting our situation......That and decades of not giving two f***s about SUFC until the last minute.
Maybe historically not showing much support but I'd argue that the terms of the planning permission are the biggest support they've given. It's forced Ron to keep things going to keep the dream alive.

I wouldn’t read too much into anything. The players and indeed all staff weren’t paid for months and they didn’t walk.

The LMA & PFA almost certainly would be supporting any of their members who aren’t paid but it’s the clerical and support staff that are hung out to dry.

As for all being paid did that ever get confirmed ?

The players were paid Jan’s salary 28 days late and paid late in July (hence the pre season strike)?

So to say they were unpaid for ‘months’ is a bit of an overstatement? (Referring to the players, not staff).

The support staff went unpaid for months, I’m guessing things like universal credit or partner in a decent job provided some support for them? (I would love for someone to explain why they didn’t leave the club though…)

Where is the court for the hearing on 4th

I would like to be present.
I think it’s in the ‘Rolls Building’ at the Royal Courts of Justice (someone please correct me if that’s wrong).

I think the actual court number within the building and time is only known on the day once you get there. The time is a bit ‘how long is a piece of string’ because I think they just list cases in the order they’ll be heard but you don’t know exactly how long that will take.

It seems to have been pretty straightforward for those who have been to the earlier hearings.

I think it’s in the ‘Rolls Building’ at the Royal Courts of Justice (someone please correct me if that’s wrong).

I think the actual court number within the building and time is only known on the day once you get there. The time is a bit ‘how long is a piece of string’ because I think they just list cases in the order they’ll be heard but you don’t know exactly how long that will take.

It seems to have been pretty straightforward for those who have been to the earlier hearings.
Many thanks

I wouldn’t read too much into anything. The players and indeed all staff weren’t paid for months and they didn’t walk.

The LMA & PFA almost certainly would be supporting any of their members who aren’t paid but it’s the clerical and support staff that are hung out to dry.

As for all being paid did that ever get confirmed ?

I have a hazy memory of someone posting about the PFA - they don't represent/support players in the National League - they need to have been a league player - so Ralph, JD are covered but players who have only been in NL won't be - if my memory is correct

The players were paid Jan’s salary 28 days late and paid late in July (hence the pre season strike)?

So to say they were unpaid for ‘months’ is a bit of an overstatement? (Referring to the players, not staff).

The support staff went unpaid for months, I’m guessing things like universal credit or partner in a decent job provided some support for them? (I would love for someone to explain why they didn’t leave the club though…)
Partly loyalty perhaps, but I suspect the main reason for many is because if they'd have left the club, they would never have seen that money, which must have amounted to thousands of pounds, ever again. I don't know many people who can afford to wave goodbye to several thousand pounds.

I have a hazy memory of someone posting about the PFA - they don't represent/support players in the National League - they need to have been a league player - so Ralph, JD are covered but players who have only been in NL won't be - if my memory is correct

That was me, and that’s correct.

Not sure which of our players haven’t played in the EFL, Gus perhaps? Cards? Powell? Cav?

Also, I think you just have to be registered with an EFL Club as opposed to have played, so Collin might be okay.

Is some would rather see the club go to the wall .
No one wants the club to go to the wall, but we have to face a number of realities here (sorry this is a bit long).

Southend Council do not have lots of money and their primary role is to care for the most vulnerable people in society, to educate our children, collect our rubbish, and look after our roads and pavements.

In its 'current account' the Council has £11 million of reserves which is exactly what it is estimated that it needs to cope with any unexpected needs, although we now know that it is thought that there is likely to be a £14 million overspend this year so that has gone already, and this will almsot certainly result in real-terms cuts to some services.

The idea that Southend Council would pay for SUFC while at the same time potentially cutting adult social care, children's services, or education would rightly be electoral suicide for anyone suggesting it.

I don't think that the Colchester example fits here. As I understand it there was a sensible business case for investment there and the prospect of getting a return on that investment, much as Southend Council have done with the Victoria Shopping Centre. Where is the business plan for the Council investing in RH?

Paying SUFCs tax bill is not an investment, and RH does not meet the Council's own criteria for being an investment asset. It needs lots of work doing, it looses money, and it has a less than reliable tenant.

Like everyone else here, I want the right outcome but as far as Southend Council goes we need to be realistic. They need to concentrate upon their really important role of looking after the people of Southend, including people who can't necessarily argue for themeselves and so often get forgotten. We know from our neighbours in Thurrock what can happen when they loose sight of this.

No one wants the club to go to the wall, but we have to face a number of realities here (sorry this is a bit long).

Southend Council do not have lots of money and their primary role is to care for the most vulnerable people in society, to educate our children, collect our rubbish, and look after our roads and pavements.

In its 'current account' the Council has £11 million of reserves which is exactly what it is estimated that it needs to cope with any unexpected needs, although we now know that it is thought that there is likely to be a £14 million overspend this year so that has gone already, and this will almsot certainly result in real-terms cuts to some services.

The idea that Southend Council would pay for SUFC while at the same time potentially cutting adult social care, children's services, or education would rightly be electoral suicide for anyone suggesting it.

I don't think that the Colchester example fits here. As I understand it there was a sensible business case for investment there and the prospect of getting a return on that investment, much as Southend Council have done with the Victoria Shopping Centre. Where is the business plan for the Council investing in RH?

Paying SUFCs tax bill is not an investment, and RH does not meet the Council's own criteria for being an investment asset. It needs lots of work doing, it looses money, and it has a less than reliable tenant.

Like everyone else here, I want the right outcome but as far as Southend Council goes we need to be realistic. They need to concentrate upon their really important role of looking after the people of Southend, including people who can't necessarily argue for themeselves and so often get forgotten. We know from our neighbours in Thurrock what can happen when they loose sight of this.
You could of just said your happy for the council not to offer any financial support to the Club then.

However another way to look at this is that when the Club is playing at a level it should do when it's being run appropriately brings in business and money to the area.

Some councils who have realised this and worked with clubs who have gone on to improve have in turn improved the areas.

That was me, and that’s correct.

Not sure which of our players haven’t played in the EFL, Gus perhaps? Cards? Powell? Cav?

Also, I think you just have to be registered with an EFL Club as opposed to have played, so Collin might be okay.
Cards played for Grimsby when the were in EFL maybe? Not sure tho.

You could of just said your happy for the council not to offer any financial support to the Club then.

However another way to look at this is that when the Club is playing at a level it should do when it's being run appropriately brings in business and money to the area.

Some councils who have realised this and worked with clubs who have gone on to improve have in turn improved the areas.
Iam not sugesting the council busts there buget Al it was put forwars is they loan 2 millon pounds to the trust to keep the club going untill a buyer can be found .Loan said moneys to clear the HRMC get the embargo lifted .Then it would make the club on a slightly better footing for a buyer to come in .

I keep hearing this old chestnut the money should be spent on the roads the schools and this that and the other .Tell me when said counil was going to spend countlless millons on the sea way project .I dont rember to many folk screeming from the rooftops about a waist of money then .But schools houses roads all needed the money then ..Now they want to help the citys football club .All i keep hearing is you cant do that .

I keep hearing this old chestnut the money should be spent on the roads the schools and this that and the other .Tell me when said counil was going to spend countlless millons on the sea way project .I dont rember to many folk screeming from the rooftops about a waist of money then .But schools houses roads all needed the money then ..Now they want to help the citys football club .All i keep hearing is you cant do that .
I think they are working behind the scenes to help the club ,no councils will want to loose their football club our local mp Anna firth has had meeting with them and the sports minister plus shrimpers trust members

On the 💴 as someone has said before the council has a budget they spend on things. It has a duty to breakeven each year and that is why it cuts services when it can't afford them. It has separate funding to invest in things like the seaway etc. I'm assuming this would be considered an investment if it buys a stake as it will want a return on the investment or if it loans the money and wants it paid back. If the latter it's not much different than having 💰 and putting it in the bank to be paid back with interest (but with a different risk profile)

Councils are even encouraged to borrow (at preferential rates) when they can invest in something that is deemed a community benefit and give them a return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back