• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anna Firth providing an update… https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23795146.mp-anna-firth-provides-update-bid-save-southend-united/

Reading between the lines, as we already know, RM is putting his finances above the needs of the club. Obvious stuff.

Can’t believe we have to have an MP update us. No real mention of council wven being of any hope, despite the leader making himself available on a Saturday night.

Still no mention of any other party, that @ForeverBlue mentioned are floating about.

Needs to be some info soon or it’s going to get ever more toxic on here, in the stadium, in the club and hopefully up in Ronald McDonald’s grille.

Is this Ron's adjournment reason at the next WUP hearing

"An expression of interest would need to be submitted by the 19th September and the last date for bids to be in is the 11th October 2023,"

Anna Firth providing an update… https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/23795146.mp-anna-firth-provides-update-bid-save-southend-united/

Reading between the lines, as we already know, RM is putting his finances above the needs of the club. Obvious stuff.

Can’t believe we have to have an MP update us. No real mention of council wven being of any hope, despite the leader making himself available on a Saturday night.

Still no mention of any other party, that @ForeverBlue mentioned are floating about.

Needs to be some info soon or it’s going to get ever more toxic on here, in the stadium, in the club and hopefully up in Ronald McDonald’s grille.

Absolutely nothing from Duddridge

Last edited by a moderator:
ANNA Firth has revealed there are ‘three streams of work going on’ to save Southend United.

The Shrimpers remain in financial crisis ahead of the return to the High Court at the start of October.

And Ms Firth – MP for Southend West – is continuing to do all she can to help Blues including holding regular talks with Justin Rees who remain in discussions to buy the club.

“Essentially there are three streams of work on-going,” said Ms Firth.

“Plan A is supporting Australian-born, Justin Rees, and his consortium, to buy the club, bringing with it much-needed fresh energy and funds to ensure the club’s long-term survival.

“However, as most fans will know, given the level and range of debts, current operating losses, and the need for significant refurbishment of Roots Hall to make it sustainable, this is far from straight-forward.”

But Ms Firth confirmed talks were still ongoing.

“Negotiations are on-going on a daily basis with significant input needed to answer complex questions involving both myself, the Leader of Southend City Council, Cllr Tony Cox who has made himself available even on a Saturday night,” said Firth.

“As I said in Parliament last week: “𝑰 𝒖𝒓𝒈𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒃𝒐𝒅𝒚 𝒊𝒏𝒗𝒐𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒈𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔, 𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒃, 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒖𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒍 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒐𝒐 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝑺𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝑼𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒅”.

Rees flew over to watch Blues against Bromley last month.

But Ms Firth is also looking at alternatives ways the Shrimpers could be helped.

“Given that the clock is ticking and the 4th October is fast-approaching, we have also being working in parallel on Plan B,” said Ms Firth.

“It’s looking into the possibility of applying for community ownership funding from the Department of Levelling-Up, similar to that applied for successfully by Bury Football Club.

READ MORE: Blues duo have suspensions confirmed
“To this end I have already met with Levelling-up secretary, Rt Hon Michael Gove MP and James Daly, MP for Bury.”

But Ms Firth is unsure if there is enough time for that to happen.

“Time is very short and despite a huge amount of work being done on a voluntary basis, it is currently not clear if a detailed enough bid could be formulated in the time available,” said Ms Firth.

“An expression of interest would need to be submitted by the 19th September and the last date for bids to be in is the 11th October 2023, hence I am talking to a special adviser about the Community Ownership Fund tomorrow.

“I do not want to raise fans expectations or put volunteer bid-writers to huge amounts of work generating yet more stress, unless there are reasonable prospects of success.”

Ms Firth insists she will continue to explore all possibilities in a bid to save Blues.

And that includes holding talks with Sports Minister Stuart Andrew.

“The third and final stream of work that has been on-going for a few months has been meeting the Sports Minister, Stuart Andrew, officials at the Department of Culture, Media, Sport to help fed-in and shape the Government’s new legislation on the White Paper in order to try and prevent other club’s facing the same off-field issues that Southend is facing,” said Ms Firth.

“This is important work but does not obviously help the here and now.”

But Ms Firth is fully aware just how much the club means to the community.

“I am very conscious of the uncertainty and exhaustion that this whole situation is having on fans and on the whole City,” said Ms Firth.

“I am also aware that this update will raise more questions, not all of which I can answer at the present time due to the sensitivities of the situation.

“However, I hope it shows that a huge amount of work is still on-going behind the scenes.

“Despite a very prolonged period of mismanagement, SUFC fans, supporters, players, Kevin Maher and Tom Lawrence, all continue to exceed expectations, and I look forward to being at Roots Hall on Tuesday night to support Kevin and the players, even if we can only field a reduced squad.”

The only time Duddridge has ever cared remotely about Southend United is when a certain resident of #10 was given a shirt by him

Of course he's selling the club, and anyone can buy it for a pound...so long as they also pay off his own greed infested Web of debts, thus making it impossible. The man should of been jailed years ago, so many misdemeanours and an out and out crook

Last edited by a moderator:
So anna is try her level best to do something Ikeep reading that our assie bloke has lost intresset .I guess that in not so But it must be almost impossable vto talk to a brick wall ie the rat ron .I live in hope that something will happen on or before the 4th of october .

So anna is try her level best to do something Ikeep reading that our assie bloke has lost intresset .I guess that in not so But it must be almost impossable vto talk to a brick wall ie the rat ron .I live in hope that something will happen on or before the 4th of october .
Cheers Tommy.🥃😉

ANNA Firth has revealed there are ‘three streams of work going on’ to save Southend United.

The Shrimpers remain in financial crisis ahead of the return to the High Court at the start of October.

And Ms Firth – MP for Southend West – is continuing to do all she can to help Blues including holding regular talks with Justin Rees who remain in discussions to buy the club.

“Essentially there are three streams of work on-going,” said Ms Firth.

“Plan A is supporting Australian-born, Justin Rees, and his consortium, to buy the club, bringing with it much-needed fresh energy and funds to ensure the club’s long-term survival.

“However, as most fans will know, given the level and range of debts, current operating losses, and the need for significant refurbishment of Roots Hall to make it sustainable, this is far from straight-forward.”

But Ms Firth confirmed talks were still ongoing.

“Negotiations are on-going on a daily basis with significant input needed to answer complex questions involving both myself, the Leader of Southend City Council, Cllr Tony Cox who has made himself available even on a Saturday night,” said Firth.

“As I said in Parliament last week: “𝑰 𝒖𝒓𝒈𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒃𝒐𝒅𝒚 𝒊𝒏𝒗𝒐𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒈𝒐𝒕𝒊𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔, 𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒊𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒃, 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒖𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒍 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒐𝒐 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝑺𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝑼𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒅”.

Rees flew over to watch Blues against Bromley last month.

But Ms Firth is also looking at alternatives ways the Shrimpers could be helped.

“Given that the clock is ticking and the 4th October is fast-approaching, we have also being working in parallel on Plan B,” said Ms Firth.

“It’s looking into the possibility of applying for community ownership funding from the Department of Levelling-Up, similar to that applied for successfully by Bury Football Club.

READ MORE: Blues duo have suspensions confirmed
“To this end I have already met with Levelling-up secretary, Rt Hon Michael Gove MP and James Daly, MP for Bury.”

But Ms Firth is unsure if there is enough time for that to happen.

“Time is very short and despite a huge amount of work being done on a voluntary basis, it is currently not clear if a detailed enough bid could be formulated in the time available,” said Ms Firth.

“An expression of interest would need to be submitted by the 19th September and the last date for bids to be in is the 11th October 2023, hence I am talking to a special adviser about the Community Ownership Fund tomorrow.

“I do not want to raise fans expectations or put volunteer bid-writers to huge amounts of work generating yet more stress, unless there are reasonable prospects of success.”

Ms Firth insists she will continue to explore all possibilities in a bid to save Blues.

And that includes holding talks with Sports Minister Stuart Andrew.

“The third and final stream of work that has been on-going for a few months has been meeting the Sports Minister, Stuart Andrew, officials at the Department of Culture, Media, Sport to help fed-in and shape the Government’s new legislation on the White Paper in order to try and prevent other club’s facing the same off-field issues that Southend is facing,” said Ms Firth.

“This is important work but does not obviously help the here and now.”

But Ms Firth is fully aware just how much the club means to the community.

“I am very conscious of the uncertainty and exhaustion that this whole situation is having on fans and on the whole City,” said Ms Firth.

“I am also aware that this update will raise more questions, not all of which I can answer at the present time due to the sensitivities of the situation.

“However, I hope it shows that a huge amount of work is still on-going behind the scenes.

“Despite a very prolonged period of mismanagement, SUFC fans, supporters, players, Kevin Maher and Tom Lawrence, all continue to exceed expectations, and I look forward to being at Roots Hall on Tuesday night to support Kevin and the players, even if we can only field a reduced squad.”
Basically AF admits that purchase is the only real solution and that's not lookiing particularly likely.

I dont think it will help somehow that the new Broadcasting rights deal of £3.19bn is about to be enacted with so far no extra money heading to National League clubs, Currently of the Broadcasting Money, Prem League get 88.24% allocation ( *also helps with huge parachute payments) and Nat League gets 0.058%. Feckin Fantastic !

Role on the fairer distribution model including the Solidarity Levy ( 10% on all Prem club transfers re-distributed! best example of this model produces another £1076m distribution to 6 divisions below Prem, Includes 25% overall to lower league clubs
But at this rate we shall never see it ?Might help a new buyer if not of us , if the Government could get the Regulator in place tomorrow and not say in 2026?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back