• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your posts do make me smile.

I’m sure you are ****ing yourself when you write them knowing the replies you will receive.

And Well done for acknowledging the £125,000 figure—- if only someone 20 people had mentioned it earlier to you 😀

Keep up the good work.

yep ... I know ... everyoine thinks I am an idiot for pointing out that the clubs chairman Ron Martin has had at least 1.4 millions pounds come in since April 2023 - plus the rest

yep - and I know you belittle me for thinking fan ownership is
a/. 100 % viable and
b/ the best option ...

but I will be honest with you and all the other p=ss takers -

I have seen nothing so pathetic as the protest paper signs, the tennis balls and 1000s and 1000s pages of drivel on a fan website -

its a parade of pathetic do nothing bull - cos you have all been had, been mugged, done over by a clever little man - ... fantasy farm and the 24 million pound debt ..

you bought it all - REALITY CHECK - we are bottom of the NON LEAGUE -

Southend United - the clubs whose fans did not fight back

the clubs whose fans lay down and sucked it up -

enjoy

yep ... I know ... everyoine thinks I am an idiot for pointing out that the clubs chairman Ron Martin has had at least 1.4 millions pounds come in since April 2023 - plus the rest

a/. 100 % viable and
b/ the best option ...

I have seen nothing so pathetic as the protest paper signs, the tennis balls and 1000s and 1000s pages of drivel on a fan website -

its a parade of pathetic do nothing bull - cos you have all been had, been mugged, done over by a clever little man - ... fantasy farm and the 24 million pound debt ..

enjoy
I reckon your post says more about you then any of us pathetic mugs,get a grip.

It was reported in the Echo that Southend Council has a £14 million projected overspend and growing by the day. How is it then that they are willing to make a loan of a million or two to a football club that is losing money?

a/. 100 % viable and
b/ the best option ...

enjoy
Aaaaw nice to know you care .

Looks to me like you have an inability to read and process words. I even said in my reply that I would be upset if the club were to fold. I refuse to act in futility and stand alongside the ignorant like yourself.
You refuse to get up and do anything.. says alot really then doesn't it

a/. 100 % viable and
b/ the best option ...

enjoy
You've constantly gone on about fan ownership but I've never seen you give a serious answer as to how we'd raise the money to do it.

If established businessmen can't get the funding to meet Ron's demands how are we going to do it? If we want to go the fan ownership route then a phoenix club seems far more realistic to me.

You refuse to get up and do anything.. says alot really then doesn't it
It says I am sensible not to waste my time. Remember all those previous protests that changed nothing? Remember that tennis ball throwing thing that changed nothing? Remember the times Ron has been confronted at the court room which changed nothing? I am probably missing some of the fruitless activity that changed nothing. If you did another protest you might be lucky to get Ron to come out and chat to you so you can fill up more pages with "how dare he say that" and "lies, lies, lies". You do you but I know Ron is in power this changes on his terms or the courts and not because some people turn up at his house with some "humourous" chants. I will sit back and wait for resolution because it's the sensible thing to do. Your approach and my approach to this will bring about the same resolution.

Last edited:
The protests helped. We had annual Judgment Day marches, set-piece things like the tennis ball protest at a televised game, the pitch invasion and sit in, the joint protest with Charlton fans at both EFL HQ's, the joint march with Orient fans before we played them.

But they were just one part of it. We had an outdoor office outside the main entrance of our ground that was manned by the Trust at every home game for four years. We launched a Parliamentary Petition asking for an independent regulator - in 2018. Like Martin Peters, years ahead of our time.

In 2017 we had the court case. We had someone in court every day providing a written summary of what happened for publication on social media the same day. By the day of the judgement, our work was featuring in the bundle of papers that the lawyers and judge were studying every day.

Once the verdict was known, we took over the billboard outside EFL HQ for six weeks with a giant message saying "EFL = English Fans Let down". On the anniversary of the court case verdict we had 162 fans outside the ground holding up one laminated page each of the Judge's judgement. We lobbied friendly journalists, MPs, the DCMS Select Committee and went on national and regional radio. We got pro bono advice from a friendly QC to the effect that the EFL did not understand their own rules. And loads more.

My point is that it took a long time, and we attacked it from a number of angles, much as your Trust and other active groups are doing. No single event does the trick. But the cumulative weight of pressure, seizing the moral high ground and keeping it does eventually have an effect.

Our case was very different from yours. There was no immediate and pressing threat to the club's financial security in our case - there was plenty of money, it had just been dispersed through a myriad of companies that had little to do with the football club. On the other hand, the amount of sympathetic support you can draw on now is far greater than that we had.

You have to play the hand you have, and focus on the problems as they exist. I think protests always have a PR value, but at the moment they are a fairly marginal factor compared with the more overtly political things that are going on. I think those of you who are agitating for something to be done are under-estimating the importance of what is happening and over-estimating the impact that a couple of protests at September home games will have. There is no harm in doing them, just don't expect them to effect major change in their own right.

Sorry, that is a lot longer than what I intended to write. But I think in recent months the Shrimpers Trust in particular has fought both hard and smart. It's a bloody tough problem, and none of the other players are trying to focus on the breadth of issues and challenges that the Trust is.
@basilrobbie many thanks for contributing what is probably the most important pieces of real world knowledge on this forum in months.

you've really highlighted the scale of the task at hand.

You've constantly gone on about fan ownership but I've never seen you give a serious answer as to how we'd raise the money to do it.

If established businessmen can't get the funding to meet Ron's demands how are we going to do it? If we want to go the fan ownership route then a phoenix club seems far more realistic to me.
He seems to think we all have 1000 lying around each

It says I am sensible not to waste my time. Remember all those previous protests that changed nothing? Remember that tennis ball throwing thing that changed nothing? Remember the times Ron has been confronted at the court room which changed nothing? I am probably missing some of the fruitless activity that changed nothing. If you did another protest you might be lucky to get Ron to come out and chat to you so you can fill up more pages with "how dare he say that" and "lies, lies, lies". You do you but I know Ron is in power this changes on his terms or the courts and not because some people turn up at his house with some "humourous" chants. I will sit back and wait for resolution because it's the sensible thing to do. Your approach and my approach to this will bring about the same resolution.
Cheers Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back