• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as has been proven by the dozens of protests before now, protesting hasn't and isn't going to change that outcome. One man with no shame makes that decision and has shown by voluntarily admitting to lying in court on national radio that "exposure" has no effect on him either.

You can reply back "At least we're trying" or "At least we are doing something" but so far it has had the same effect as trying nothing and doing nothing. And despite it sounding like I am, I'm not slating the protesters. I applaud your passion and effort, I just don't personally see the point.
Blackpool fans protested for 4 years until their wretch of an owner sold up and if that's what it takes to get rid of the rat then so be it.

So you think 4 years of protests "forced" them out. It took 4 years. They went when they chose to go
I guess thats the unanswered question. Blackpool fans are the masters at protests, but was it that which forced the Oystons out, or did it have no affect on it? I guess it could have sped things up, but ultimately, I suspect they only went when it was right for them, or they had run out of options.
Media attention and pressure must surely have a bearing on it though, also understand the Oystons are finding it rather difficult to do business in the local area these days.
I guess we can only conclude that in *might* have made a difference, but will never know for sure.
If nothing else, it must be worth keeping up the pressure on the basis it might play a part.

If there was movement we'd have heard something by now. I firmly believe it won't be sold before October 4th because Ron is asking for too much. He'll try and get an adjournement which will be rejected. He will blame everyone but himself afterwards.

What he said 100%

"Desperate to stay relevant"? Okay care to explain? What I am desperate for is to have a football club to support in 3 weeks time.
Happy to explain. Those still banging on about protests are really only doing so as they have nothing else to say. Truth of the matter is there is nothing else to say that will shift control to us fans. None more than me would still like a club in 3 weeks time but I'm not going to stand outside an old mans house and hurl abuse at him because I know it is water off a duck's back.

thanks for this - I suppose you are right -

that suggesting a operating loss of 1.5m ..

on what turnover I wonder ..... as our revenue has shrunk as we have gone down..

Your posts do make me smile.

I’m sure you are ****ing yourself when you write them knowing the replies you will receive.

And Well done for acknowledging the £125,000 figure—- if only someone 20 people had mentioned it earlier to you 😀

Keep up the good work.

I guess thats the unanswered question. Blackpool fans are the masters at protests, but was it that which forced the Oystons out, or did it have no affect on it? I guess it could have sped things up, but ultimately, I suspect they only went when it was right for them, or they had run out of options.
Media attention and pressure must surely have a bearing on it though, also understand the Oystons are finding it rather difficult to do business in the local area these days.
I guess we can only conclude that in *might* have made a difference, but will never know for sure.
If nothing else, it must be worth keeping up the pressure on the basis it might play a part.
It was a judge that forced Oyston out

Following further legal action by Belokon to obtain payment from Oyston, on 13 February 2019 High Court appointed receiver Paul Cooper, of David Rubin & Partners, removed Oyston from the board of Blackpool Football Club, along with his daughter Natalie Christopher

The protests helped. We had annual Judgment Day marches, set-piece things like the tennis ball protest at a televised game, the pitch invasion and sit in, the joint protest with Charlton fans at both EFL HQ's, the joint march with Orient fans before we played them.

But they were just one part of it. We had an outdoor office outside the main entrance of our ground that was manned by the Trust at every home game for four years. We launched a Parliamentary Petition asking for an independent regulator - in 2018. Like Martin Peters, years ahead of our time.

In 2017 we had the court case. We had someone in court every day providing a written summary of what happened for publication on social media the same day. By the day of the judgement, our work was featuring in the bundle of papers that the lawyers and judge were studying every day.

Once the verdict was known, we took over the billboard outside EFL HQ for six weeks with a giant message saying "EFL = English Fans Let down". On the anniversary of the court case verdict we had 162 fans outside the ground holding up one laminated page each of the Judge's judgement. We lobbied friendly journalists, MPs, the DCMS Select Committee and went on national and regional radio. We got pro bono advice from a friendly QC to the effect that the EFL did not understand their own rules. And loads more.

My point is that it took a long time, and we attacked it from a number of angles, much as your Trust and other active groups are doing. No single event does the trick. But the cumulative weight of pressure, seizing the moral high ground and keeping it does eventually have an effect.

Our case was very different from yours. There was no immediate and pressing threat to the club's financial security in our case - there was plenty of money, it had just been dispersed through a myriad of companies that had little to do with the football club. On the other hand, the amount of sympathetic support you can draw on now is far greater than that we had.

You have to play the hand you have, and focus on the problems as they exist. I think protests always have a PR value, but at the moment they are a fairly marginal factor compared with the more overtly political things that are going on. I think those of you who are agitating for something to be done are under-estimating the importance of what is happening and over-estimating the impact that a couple of protests at September home games will have. There is no harm in doing them, just don't expect them to effect major change in their own right.

Sorry, that is a lot longer than what I intended to write. But I think in recent months the Shrimpers Trust in particular has fought both hard and smart. It's a bloody tough problem, and none of the other players are trying to focus on the breadth of issues and challenges that the Trust is.

Last edited:
Happy to explain. Those still banging on about protests are really only doing so as they have nothing else to say. Truth of the matter is there is nothing else to say that will shift control to us fans. None more than me would still like a club in 3 weeks time but I'm not going to stand outside an old mans house and hurl abuse at him because I know it is water off a duck's back.
All you've really explained here is you don't actually give a ****. Great info cheers 👍

If there was movement we'd have heard something by now. I firmly believe it won't be sold before October 4th because Ron is asking for too much. He'll try and get an adjournement which will be rejected. He will blame everyone but himself afterwards.
Didn’t you say that last time and the time before that 😂😂

Maybe, but the protesting would have at worst pushed them into
selling rather than slowly kill their club 🐀 style
Actually, they went when the court threw them out for failure to comply with the Judgement, and appointed a Receiver.

What causes the eventual breakthrough isn't necessarily the issue. Knowing what might, and exploiting it, is.

This from Google:

A Conviction For Illegal Stripping of Funds In September 2015, Belokoņs took legal action against the Oystons, alleging improper use of club funds. Two years later, he resigned as director of Blackpool. And months after leaving his post, a court determined Owen and Karl had stripped the club of funds illegitimately.

So protests may have made a difference, but reading the text in Google, the long arm of the law forced the Oystons out as criminals. It would be absolutely great if the Law could do the same to Ratboy, but unlikely. No doubt @basilrobbie could enlighten us more. The best route now is via the City Council and our MPs and I believe that is exactly what the Trust are now involved in. If we get a shout from the Combined Supporters Group for a big hoe down at Benfleet Hill then, as before, me and her will be there, but posters telling me that will get rid of Ron need to get a grip of the reality of our situation.

This from Google:

A Conviction For Illegal Stripping of Funds In September 2015, Belokoņs took legal action against the Oystons, alleging improper use of club funds. Two years later, he resigned as director of Blackpool. And months after leaving his post, a court determined Owen and Karl had stripped the club of funds illegitimately.

So protests may have made a difference, but reading the text in Google, the long arm of the law forced the Oystons out as criminals. It would be absolutely great if the Law could do the same to Ratboy, but unlikely. No doubt @basilrobbie could enlighten us more. The best route now is via the City Council and our MPs and I believe that is exactly what the Trust are now involved in. If we get a shout from the Combined Supporters Group for a big hoe down at Benfleet Hill then, as before, me and her will be there, but posters telling me that will get rid of Ron need to get a grip of the reality of our situation.
RHB, see post 1469 above. In essence you are right about the eventual cause, albeit we had a role to play even in that.

I guess only 3 or 4 know what is going on .Anna firth .The council .The trust And maybe Ton .A5 person seemes to be clueless And maybe pottie is Ron martin .But then he knows every tom dick and harry hates him .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back