• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel this is a significant statement by Kev, who has avoided for so long now publicly voicing anything other than the "we can only control what we can control and just get on with it stance". Hopefully the significance is of a positive nature as he is aware of a deal being imminent and feels able to voice an open opinion. The negative angle would be if he knows wages are an issue again, possible sale of Cards, no lifting of the embargo and having further point reductions. Having said that, if that was the backdrop to Kev now choosing to speak out, I think he would have
expressed himself in a more despondent manner than this comes across. So for not the first time over recent weeks, here's hoping folks!

Interesting that the manager has publicly spoken about a 'potential' owner. That doesn't normally happen. Like when a manager is asked about a player they are linked with. They normally refrain from answering.

One hopes it's because it's close to happening but I also fear it's just Kev speaking from a desperate and worn down point of view.

I think this is an unusually drawn out process. I think it was @Mr Browns Ghost who reported that he was at training weeks ago, I think even before the season had even started.

You also don’t usually have outgoing owners speaking about potential owners. But with the current owner saying he wants to sell and talking about the new owner it provides cover for Maher to speak about it.

I’m still curious as to what Rees’ connection to Southend or even football is. Is this really an opportunity he sought out himself or has he been brought in as a figurehead to broker peace between warring sides or by someone with an interest in Southend/football but not the time to do the deal? Lots of people seem to be meeting him (Tom Lawrence, Anna Firth, Kevin Maher, Shrimpers Trust etc) but other than saying what a jolly nice fellow he is nobody has said anything about how and why he’s involved which is the first question you’d ask.

I think this is an unusually drawn out process. I think it was @Mr Browns Ghost who reported that he was at training weeks ago, I think even before the season had even started.

You also don’t usually have outgoing owners speaking about potential owners. But with the current owner saying he wants to sell and talking about the new owner it provides cover for Maher to speak about it.

I’m still curious as to what Rees’ connection to Southend or even football is. Is this really an opportunity he sought out himself or has he been brought in as a figurehead to broker peace between warring sides or by someone with an interest in Southend/football but not the time to do the deal? Lots of people seem to be meeting him (Tom Lawrence, Anna Firth, Kevin Maher, Shrimpers Trust etc) but other than saying what a jolly nice fellow he is nobody has said anything about how and why he’s involved which is the first question you’d ask.
It really is a different type of situation. It's just all a bit surreal to hear your manager talk about an interested buyer. It's like if he were asked about Sears or Hopper. I appreciate it's different as you state, just all a bit weird.

I agree regarding Rees. There are a lot of people meeting him and talking about him without actually saying much about him and his intentions. Clearly they aren't just his intentions, but the intentions of a few. Let's hope it all works out for us.

We are all so desperate now for new ownership, it's pretty much anyone but Ron isn't it?

What a sorry state of affairs.
This!

Chatting to a few people today and rumours have already started about this guy being in cahoots with our chairman in terms of property developments.

No idea if there’s any substance to these rumours but the people I was chatting to aren’t gullible fools. They definitely have their concerns.

This!

Chatting to a few people today and rumours have already started about this guy being in cahoots with our chairman in terms of property developments.

No idea if there’s any substance to these rumours but the people I was chatting to aren’t gullible fools. They definitely have their concerns.
Of course he is, that glaringly obvious and the only way he'll be able to make a decent profit.

The rat never wanted to sell out right due to the ridiculous debt he's racked up over the years and now huge interest payments on top due to recent hykes so getting someone to go into it with him is his only option.

This!

Unfortunately the term 'cahoots' carries suspicion, which is at this time unwarranted and as you indicate unproven in substance. The fact this guy would appear to have progressed to the point of take over, where others have failed, seems in some part to the fact RM is prepared to actually deal with him. Now for what ever reason he appears to be the chosen one, who knows? Maybe he cultivates RM inflated ego. Maybe other business ventures outside of the Football Club are on offer for the future, what ever it is, if it's the catalyst for change and a change for the good then let's be open minded and try to avoid the negative misconceptions that rumour sows. Also let's not forget that within the make-up of the referred to Consortium it has been indicated there are individuals who have an existing emotional buy in to the Club already and no doubt would offer good stewardship going forward. The potential scenario of any imminent sale is that despite everyone wanting a new RM free era, that ain't going to happen overnight. Purely by the nature of things the new owners will have to continue to work with RM on matters pertaining to the Football Club. In short new owners will be forced to have future dealings with the unscrupulous RM it doesn't mean they are guilty of the same practices by association.

You could say that about the two holiwood stars what have they got with wrexham .Maybe like then he just wants toi buy a football club .

Not quite. It's been many months since I looked but I think Provision of bus service is in the planning agreements.
I thought the same for what it's worth. Can't really be bothered going through it all. Have a feeling that the stadium was going to be a bus terminus. But may be wrong. Given the number of residents it seems reasonable.

You could say that about the two holiwood stars what have they got with wrexham .Maybe like then he just wants toi buy a football club .
Not sure they wanted to buy a football club. They wanted to make a documentary about them buying a football club - the cost of which has probably been paid for (many times over?) by the revenues from said documentary plus increased sponsorships, merchandise etc that the documentary has generated.

Like it or not we are not going to be free of RM until FF is built and the club moves there ,hopefully as owners of FF and not paying rent .

I hate it so much 🤦🏻‍♂️

My heart says it will be sorted but my head says we are doomed.

There are so many things that can go wrong between now and October 4th ... I'm just feeling very pessimistic about it all at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back